Serious clicking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serious clicking

Explorer Trouble

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 4.0 V6 2WD
I disconnected the battery a day ago, put a charge on it, reconnected everything tightly and I turn the ignition to a loud loud clicking from the front driver side under hood. I had this problem 6 months ago and the guy that fixed it literally just tapped either the ignition key or that popping thing under the hood, can't remember. Battery is good, tried starting in Neutral, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Starter relay. In power distro box on driver's side, between battery and firewall. Tap, wiggle, replace.

didn't work, tried pulling out each relay and whatnot, fuses were fine.
Which one exactly is the starter relay?
whichonep.jpg

bump (if I'm allowed to)

Anyone know which one of those is the starter relay? Can just say left/right side, second/third down, etc. If I can't figure it out I have to have it towed over a relay I can just buy at a parts store :(

Why get it towed when you can replace all those relays for 20 bucks?
Also, get it to make that noise and have your fingers on the relays, which ever one you feel clicking would be it.

EDIT: Give me a few seconds, I have the wiring diagram for your entire truck. I will look it up. But you could probably find that info in your owners manual if you have one.

After a quick scan thru, I can tell you that there are 2 fuses on that circuit, #1 in that power distribution box it is a 60 amp, and there is one in the interior box, #34.
Didn't see where is said what one it is other than it said it was in the box outside on the fender apron. I would just replace all of them, it won't cost nearly as much as that tow job your talking about.

I don't know about v6's, but I know the V8s pre 98 had a starter solenoid next the fuse panel you took a picture of. Looks similar to this
8596broncostartersolenoid.jpg
If that is clicking rapidly, it's either the part, or your positive battery cable is corroded, not allowing enough current to fully energize the solenoid. The solenoids retail for $12.00.

I don't know about v6's, but I know the V8s pre 98 had a starter solenoid next the fuse panel you took a picture of. Looks similar to this
8596broncostartersolenoid.jpg
If that is clicking rapidly, it's either the part, or your positive battery cable is corroded, not allowing enough current to fully energize the solenoid. The solenoids retail for $12.00.

yea it has that solenoid, and yea, the positive is a little corroded, it just looks diff on a V6

Edit: actually it does not look diff, just has other parts connected to it, but all the relays seem fine, that solenoid is causing so much vibration that they all vibrate to the touch. Figuring it's that solenoid, replacing.

If it is the "woodpecker under the hood" click, then check battery voltage with load. If voltage OK, then consider replacing starter relay (shown in post #7) for about $12. Battery cables are more expensive, but you can be sure they are also a common replacement item because so many chains (NAPA, Autozone, Checker) stock the Explorer battery cable harness.

If it is the "woodpecker under the hood" click, then check battery voltage with load. If voltage OK, then consider replacing starter relay (shown in post #7) for about $12. Battery cables are more expensive, but you can be sure they are also a common replacement item because so many chains (NAPA, Autozone, Checker) stock the Explorer battery cable harness.

replaced that item exactly, except the replacement part (F492) had terminals on BOTH sides of the copper terminals, as opposed to the picture in post 7 and the one I pulled off the truck. Still clicking. But this actually happened after a charge, that wasn't necessarily needed, but the truck isn't driven that often. As such, the positive terminal was corroded to the point of replacement this past Feb. and was also replaced with a new battery and ran on an Interstate battery tester that showed it was putting out slightly above it's rated CCA.

replaced that item exactly, except the replacement part (F492) had terminals on BOTH sides of the copper terminals, as opposed to the picture in post 7 and the one I pulled off the truck. Still clicking. But this actually happened after a charge, that wasn't necessarily needed, but the truck isn't driven that often. As such, the positive terminal was corroded to the point of replacement this past Feb. and was also replaced with a new battery and ran on an Interstate battery tester that showed it was putting out slightly above it's rated CCA.

The cause of the relay clicking is that the voltage on the small terminal is not sufficient. It is fine until the contacts close, and then the load of the starter solenoid (on the starter itself) is causing enough load to lower the voltage.

Have you had the starter tested?

The cause of the relay clicking is that the voltage on the small terminal is not sufficient. It is fine until the contacts close, and then the load of the starter solenoid (on the starter itself) is causing enough load to lower the voltage.

Have you had the starter tested?

Nope, but that was next, that or the starter switch. How much should a new starter set me back? (I'll probably have it towed at this point, even though I have the hydro jack/stands/creeper to get at the starter.)

Also, thanks for all the help, have a feeling I'll be back here quite often as this truck ages.

Don't worry, lol. I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with mine too. :p

Is the clicking coming from that starter solenoid? Or from that power distribution box? My friends Honda had an odd clicking under the hood (radiator fan coming on and off) and it was a bad relay inside there.

Don't worry, lol. I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with mine too. :p

Is the clicking coming from that starter solenoid? Or from that power distribution box? My friends Honda had an odd clicking under the hood (radiator fan coming on and off) and it was a bad relay inside there.

Ive had Honda's do that too, but this is coming from the solenoid, enough to make everything vibrate.

Turned out to be the starter, though I'm skeptical(had to splice the clamp connection). Seems much more likely that it was bad terminal connection(after the starter install), sanding down the terminals started it right up.

Thanks to everyone that offered help/suggestions/etc :)

Back