• Register Today It's free!

serpentine belt conversion

yellowcat

Reaction score
City, State
las cruces new mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4
does anyone know, can I simply by pass the ac compressor with a different belt. If so, what size does the4.0 take to by pass the compressor. The parts store is far away, I guess I could buy like six belts and just keep trying them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They actually make a belt for the 4.0 w/out a/c. thats what you need.

Gatorback belt # should be 4060805 for the non a/c vehicle (double check the # though).

~Mark

I put the belt on, the one for non ac. It was loose, maybe an inch to long. I went back and got the ac belt. There is no way to tighten the ps pump, or alternator, so maybe one of the tensioners have a little bigger pulley on the non ac model.

Look on the net for company of the belt you have and decode their part number's syntax. Then look up that belt that is 1 one or so too long and you should be able to find the right one by manipulating the part number (the length is usually in the part number).

I put the belt on, the one for non ac. It was loose, maybe an inch to long. I went back and got the ac belt. There is no way to tighten the ps pump, or alternator, so maybe one of the tensioners have a little bigger pulley on the non ac model.

When I looked at autozone.com I saw two betls for both a/c and non a/c vehicles with different sizes.. You problably need the shorter versin of the non a/c belt..

~Mark

that makes sense, thanks Mark

how much extra power could this net over just not using AC? I'm curious this could be usful during winter.

If your a/c compressor is working correctly (clutch fully disengages) I'd have to say its about as close to 0 as possible. In theory there could be some extra friction loss, plus the extra belt deflection etc, but no where near enough to actually do anything about it..

~Mark

My logic was, I do not use ac so maybe I was saving some trouble down the road,with the bearings or what not.

Back