SEVEN40iL's '98 Sport Mod Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SEVEN40iL's '98 Sport Mod Thread

im running the same leaf pack with a Superlift AAl huge diference on the rear and running inch and a quarter spacers on 285 tires cya this weekend bro garage time

photo1_zps9695e972.jpg

photo2_zpsbe5ecfd3.jpg

photo3_zps422d4847.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, your thoughts on the wheel spacers? Do they look good in person? Do you recommend them? I just got new tires so wider offset wheels is out of the question and I wish I could fill out those huge flares a bit.

The 2" spacers really do the trick! I am running 31" x 10.5" x 15 which effectively is 275's and they fill the Sport wheel wells just perfectly! Nothing needed for the front as they fit well.

im running the same leaf pack with a Superlift AAl huge diference on the rear and running inch and a quarter spacers on 285 tires cya this weekend bro garage time

:thumbsup: See ya Saturday bro!

take plenty of pics as we tear her down

It was an easy swap for me. I was lucky and all my bolts came out with hand tools. Good luck!

being an Ontario truck it won t go easy lol will take a lot of Pb blaster air tools and a BFG

take plenty of pics as we tear her down

Most definitely!

It was an easy swap for me. I was lucky and all my bolts came out with hand tools. Good luck!

Hopefully...

being an Ontario truck it won t go easy lol will take a lot of Pb blaster air tools and a BFG

That's what I thought! Will be buying 2 cans of PB Blaster tonight and will give all the bolts a good soak, and hopefully the job will be a lot easier come Saturday!

I soaked mine. My car is from pennsylvania all its life. Rust is terrible around here. I had to re do all my rockers already. My rear bumper even has holes in it. Hopefully you are as lucky as me

Thanks Vince!

Up here rust is a major problem too! Will be soaking them tonight to help the process on Saturday.

My drivers side rocker needs to be replaced and my rear bumper looks like it might have some holes after this winter...

But nothing too crazy ;)

just rebuilt both my rockers and the rear bumper ive done 4 explorers now only one was relatively easy all because of corrosion

Soon as i get done with all the bugs from my 5.0 swap im gonna do the springs and wheel spacers too cause the flares are making my 31s look tiny.

i just run a set on the rear my tires filled the front arches nicely, amazing how wide the rear arches are on the Sport

just rebuilt both my rockers and the rear bumper ive done 4 explorers now only one was relatively easy all because of corrosion

My rockers are next on the list of TO-DO!

Soon as i get done with all the bugs from my 5.0 swap im gonna do the springs and wheel spacers too cause the flares are making my 31s look tiny.

2" spacers make SUCH a difference in the look. They really do fill out the fender flares.

i just run a set on the rear my tires filled the front arches nicely, amazing how wide the rear arches are on the Sport

I agree!

May have to consider the 2" spacers. Have read so much negativity about spacers, those look great. Brand and Source?? And nice find on the Sport, coming along nicely.

Side note, Sogs, those D-rings mounted on the bumper are awesome!

May have to consider the 2" spacers. Have read so much negativity about spacers, those look great. Brand and Source?? And nice find on the Sport, coming along nicely.

Thanks!

No idea on the brand of the spacers. You don't really see many 2" spacers around for sale. I found mine through craigslist by searching through Jeep postings.

Truly, have a look at them, and if they look clean, without any rust around the bolts, you should be fine.

So, with the great help of Sogsnakebite and his buddy Bean, we were able to tackle installing all of the following suspension components:

- Rancho RS5000 for the front
- Monroe SensaTrac for the rear
- XLT leaf pack
- Warrior 153

And of course, pictures!

Rear height we started with...

IMG_20130105_122832.jpg

First things first, PB Blast the XLT bolts and shackles

IMG_20130105_123927.jpg

Then get to hammering!

IMG_20130105_123914.jpg

Video of hammering!

th_VID_20130105_123941.jpg

Jack up the rear to get more space to work

IMG_20130105_130312.jpg

Remove the spare tire

IMG_20130105_132010.jpg

Remove the rear wheel

IMG_20130105_125242.jpg

Clean up all the old bolts with a wire wheel

IMG_20130105_125528.jpg

Get the original shackles out, Sog's built in eye protection, close your eyes! :eek:

IMG_20130105_135015.jpg

Cutting the impact chisel to fit where ^ that bolt is...

IMG_20130105_140047.jpg

Almost!

IMG_20130105_133727.jpg

Warrior 153 shackles and XLT leaf pack installed

IMG_20130105_143159.jpg

We achieved a 3" lift on the rear with the SensaTrac + XLT leaf pack + Warrior 153 shackles

IMG_20130105_155418.jpg

Rinse and Repeat for the other side ;) We did run into some stubborn bolts, such as the upper AND lower rear shock bolts, but with experienced hands working, they were able to get them undone.

Still have to take pics of the installed SensaTracs, since we ran out of daylight. Will try and take some today.

Now to the front!

Get the wheel off, pull away the fender liner, and get working on the bolts

IMG_20130105_163058.jpg

IMG_20130105_163122.jpg

They definitely were tough, and we had to strip the top bolt off on both front shocks, just to make it easier.

Like I said, we were running out of daylight, so installed pics of the Rancho's will follow as well.

In the end, this is what we had...

IMG_20130105_185655.jpg

IMG_20130105_155438.jpg

Front got lifted 1" and rear got lifted 3".

We still have to adjust the TT as we didn't touch them. I think I can raise the front about 1", but my buddy says leave the rake...

Anyway, here is a cool pic of our Ex's together.. From left to right, Bean, Sog and myself

IMG_20130105_141026.jpg

A BIG THANK YOU to Sogsnakebite and Bean for taking time out to help a fellow enthusiast! These guys are friends for LIFE! :thumbsup:

Looks awesome. It rides a lot nicer now doesn't it? I'd lift the front up about an inch or so to make it level. I wanted to get 2" up front but I only got an inch because my bolts bottomed out. It worked out though because the shackles flattened by leaf packs out and its sitting level again.

Thanks Vince!

Definitely rides a LOT better than before!

I agree with you, I do want to raise the front an inch, just to level it out some.

Here are some pics I took today

IMG_20130106_161853.jpg

IMG_20130106_161953.jpg

IMG_20130106_161926.jpg

IMG_20130106_162246.jpg

I've been thinking about putting those shocks on the back to sneak another half inch or more of lift in the back.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

awesome day tough but a lot of fun too, truck looks great bro and seems to ride way better i agree raise the front an inch, the coilovers seem to average an inch of lift and serious improve handling

Back