Shift-o-matic...newbie type question here: | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift-o-matic...newbie type question here:

badge49

Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4
My question is: Can you make a controller to manually (electronically) shift gears in an automatic transmission?

I know BMW has something like this where you push paddle buttons on the steering wheel to change gears. Wouldn't this be possible since (at least with my trans.) the gears are changed by an electronic actuator? I may be way off. Just playing with ideas.:navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen an aftermarket paddle shifter setup for certain tranny's including the 4r70W but I don't know what engine you have, so don't know the tranny...

Has anyone ever seen this done to a vehicle, not OEM?

I have seen an aftermarket paddle shifter setup for certain tranny's including the 4r70W but I don't know what engine you have, so don't know the tranny...

I have the 4.0L SOHC. ('97 XLT 4x4). I'm curious why more people wouldn't want this, if it really was possible.

I'm not sure if it showed the application of your tranny, I'd have to find the article again in one of my magazines...

Update

I did some research...

A few auto manufacturers that currently have a manual/automatic transmission in production are:

Lexus - Multi-Mode Automatic Transmission
BMW - Steptronic
Landrover - Command Shift
Nissan (Patrol) - Sequential Manual
Porche - Triptronic

The only aftermarket kit I was able to find was from Retrotek Speed Products, called "Formula1 Smartshift." Their wesite: http://www.retrotekspeed.com/products/smart-shift/smart-shift-with-f1-paddles/paddles-9-bolt.html
2h7fl7b.jpg

I am thinking about submitting my question to a few of the popular 4x4 magazines to see if they know of any aftermarket kits that may be more affordable. If anyone else has any ideas or has seen something, let me know.:navajo:

OK
This could be doable-
All that is really needed is a good stepper motor and programmable logic servo circuit.And a way of linking it into the shift cable, or transmission range sensor actuator-. I think it could be done.

Me too, especially since it seems so simple (with an electronic actuator). The benefits of a manual transmission without any clutch to burn-up seems great for 4x4ing. My buddy said they used to have a few of these transmissions in the '50's in some of the larger Chrystler sedans, before manufacturing costs outweighted cool stuff.

In some of the Jeep Cherokees (I believe my Dad's 89 Limited is one) the electronic overdrive tranny used a simple transmission control where each wire was either on or off. He told me that you can use a series of toggle switches to control every shift and torque converter lockup. Essentially giving you direct drive in first gear. Although they use a 2 piece input shaft so you cant abuse them like you really want to. I have to doubt that the Ford setup is that simple it would too awesome.

That's interesting...I still havn't heard back from the magazine I wrote to. Maybe JTSmith and his super-performance oriented skills could fab up a controle box for us :)

I know I wish I had this. If you figure out a way, I will defiantly be doing it.

Back