Synchronous v non-Synchronous shifts in AT's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Synchronous v non-Synchronous shifts in AT's

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
A while ago, someone asked about issues relating to the fact his transmission might be a non-synchronous automatic shifting transmission. I replied that i was not aware of a difference in AT's in that regard. "Synchronous" implies two or more things operating "in synch" - whatever that might mean in a given application - and a synchronized manual transmission was a well known animal.

In manual transmissions, a synchronous transmission spins up currently unused gearsets to aid is gear meshing on shifts that DO utilize those gears, and an AT is entirely different in how it effects shifts. I thought the comment about synchronous vs. non-synchronous was out of place in reference to automatic transmissions - and said so. Well.... I ran across something tonight in trying to educate myself on the FORD 4R75W and new 6R series (always learning something) and I found the following on a website... and thought I would share it. As I do I want to note that the author was pretty inadequately informed about the differences between the 5R55S and the 4R70W, so use a grain of salt as you read this, but here is what he (or she) wrote about synchronous auto trannies:

"A “non-synchronous” shift in an automatic trans means that when the trans shifts from one gear ratio to the next, it happens by applying only one clutch or band and nothing else has to happen. The “non-synchronous” shift is seamless and has no chance of a flare happening between the gear change. The best way to explain this in a very simple way is to picture a typical 10-speed pedal bicycle that you would have to shift manually (we’ve all ridden & shifted these). You could go up and down through the gears on those while pedaling with no loss of power to the rear tire essentially. They just shifted on the fly with no chance of hitting a neutral gear between the gears while shifting.

“Synchronous” shifts means that for a gear change to happen, one device, be it a Clutch or Band has to apply and something else has to release simultaneously. This is really not a problem at moderate power levels. But, when you start to hit the trans with some very high power levels, gear changes that have to happen “synchronously” can risk an rpm flare between the gear changes. This flair can happen because one thing has to apply and another thing in the trans has to release simultaneously. When this action is happening in the trans, if it doesn’t time them and perform them accurately, an rpm flair can happen between the two actions. This can be very damaging to the trans because the flair can shock the trans very hard when the gear change is finally completed. This (flare) is what caused the most common failure in the C-4 three speed automatics commonly used in Mustangs and other Ford’s in drag racing. The C-4’s shifted “synchronously” only into 3rd gear not 2nd. And this is when they would usually break in very high horsepower applications, when shifting into 3rd gear."

For the person who may have felt "blown off" by my previous response, I eat a large dose of humble pie. My apologies. :eek:

Like I said, I an constantly learning. Hope that never changes... and even those of you who think I may "know it all"... need to know that a) I don't, and b) you may teach an old dog new things. Keep at it.

Glacier

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I edited the earlier post to reflect a few things, including that this was from a website. The notion of two or more things needing to operate together (eg. synchronously) is a good point and I agree with what was said.

Thanks, dont feel bad, I think it was both our faults, because I just spouted off the terms "syncronous" and "non-syncronous" as if I completely knew what they meant :p I am a long-term member at another car website (vwvortex) and I feel humbled from time to time as well :) even the transmission guy I brought the thing to to get fixed had no idea what i was talking about (maybe time to get a new guy...)

Here is an explanation I found on a Taurus website (posted in the old thread, re-posted for centralization of information):
TCAA site said:
AX4S - (Automatic transaXle 4-speed Synchronous)-
Example 1: Cruising at 25mph (3rd gear), you floor it, it downshifts to 2nd gear briefly, then into 1st.

Example 2: Full throttle acceleration from a stoplight to 35mph or so, then let off the gas. The transaxle will up-shift to 2nd gear very briefly, then finally into 3rd gear where it needs to be.

In other words, it has to shift in order 1-2-3-4 and 4-3-2-1

AX4N (Automatic transaXle 4-speed Non-synchronous)-

Example 1: Cruising at 25mph (3rd gear), you floor it, it skips second and downshifts directly to first.

Example 2: Full throttle acceleration from a stoplight to 35mph or so, then let off the gas. The transaxle will upshift directly to 3rd gear, skipping second.

In other words it can shift how ever it wants 1-3, 3-1, 2-4, 4-2, etc..

The AX4N is a more efficient transaxle. The ability to skip un-needed gears helps reduce wear and tear. Mechanically, the AX4S and AX4N are very similar, but hydraulically, they are not.

Now, to figure out which is which in the Explorer transmissions :p

I did a little research and I cannot verify that the 5R55E is anything other than a 1-2-3-4-5...5-4-3-2-1 shifting transmission when in D. Maybe someone smarter or with more info can add to this here.

I fairly sure the 4R70W is 1 2 3, 3 2 1. Just from counting and its laziness in stock form.

So Merc isn't the first to be able to skip gear with their 7 Speed-matic(he he). Although it can skip up to 4 gears. I don't even have 4 gears!! lol.

Hmm, I didn't realize non-syncronous transmissions were such a relatively new/rare concept. The Taurus had it back in 1995! :)

AOD-E's and 4R70W's found in 96-01 V8 Explorers and 94-04 Mustangs shift 1-2 & 2-3 nonsynchro and the rest synchro.

5R55W, S & N's found in 03+ Explorers, 00+ LS's, 05+ AT Mustangs all shift 1-2 nonsynchro and the rest synchro which, besides the smaller internals, makes them inherently weaker.

AOD-E's and 4R70W's found in 96-01 V8 Explorers and 94-04 Mustangs shift 1-2 & 2-3 nonsynchro and the rest synchro.

Just to clarify for me--Is the downshift nonsynchro also?

Now, another twist
How about a 30 mph cruise--
I shift manually to 1st position--will it skip 2nd?
Mine seems to do it automatically--3rd to 1st when floored-( although I might be mistaken). With the 4r7ow-aode is this controlled by the PCM??

Just to clarify for me--Is the downshift nonsynchro also?

Now, another twist
How about a 30 mph cruise--
I shift manually to 1st position--will it skip 2nd?
Mine seems to do it automatically--3rd to 1st when floored-( although I might be mistaken). With the 4r7ow-aode is this controlled by the PCM??

I would imagine that if the upshift is nonsynchro then the downshift will be too. I am not 100% on that, but it just seems that would be the only logical way due to the process being merely reversed.

Back