Shift to Park Warning | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

Is the repair warranty covered after the 3/36?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, bumper to bumper only unless you have a Ford ESP.

Just got the message. So weird how I went almost 3 days with not seeing it when it was constant before installing a new knob.

Just got the message. So weird how I went almost 3 days with not seeing it when it was constant before installing a new knob.

Without tearing the unit apart, I would suspect that the knob is going to better "lock" into position with a new knob. The sensor to detect that the knob is in park position is not in the knob itself, it's at the other end of that cable/linkage attached to the knob (I'm pretty sure, since it's not shown in that assembly you or blwnsmoke posted).

Transmission not in park

Have a 2014 Sport and have had an issue where I put the vehicle in park, yet it states Transmission not in park when I shut off the engine.
Nothing shows on the indicator as to what the current transmission state is(Nothing is red/orange under P R N D M). The vehicle doesn't move
This has happened to me about 5 times now. It is currently at the dealer getting checked.
Anyone experience this?

Its been covered a few times:

No wonder it sounded familiar lol. My post:

TSB 14-0209

SHIFT TO PARK MESSAGE - WHILE IN PARK / UNABLE TO REMOVE
IKT / SHIFTER STUCK IN PARK / DISCHARGED BATTERY DUE TO
SHIFT TO PARK LIGHT ON

FORD:
2011-2014 Edge
2013-2014 Flex
2011-2015 Explorer
2013-2015 Taurus
LINCOLN:
2013-2014 MKS, MKT
2011-2015 MKX

ISSUE
Some 2011-2014 Edge, 2011-2015 MKX, Explorer, 2013-2014 Flex, MKT, MKS and 2013-2015 Taurus vehicles equipped
with a floor shift selector lever may exhibit a Shift To Park message displayed while in park, unable to remove integrated
keyhead transmitter (IKT), shifter stuck in park and/or discharged battery due to Shift to Park light remaining illuminated.
The park detect switch cannot detect the shifter is in park.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Replace the selector lever assembly.

And since it is a TSB it only falls under Factory Warranty Guidelines. IE 3/36 and any purchased extended warranty. If you are outside of this you pay.

It would be a wonderful thing if Ford could finally figure out how to build a trouble free transmission. I have been driving various Ford products since 1994 and the transmissions have always been a weak point (along with their brakes).

Its been covered a few times:

No wonder it sounded familiar lol. My post:

TSB 14-0209

SHIFT TO PARK MESSAGE - WHILE IN PARK / UNABLE TO REMOVE
IKT / SHIFTER STUCK IN PARK / DISCHARGED BATTERY DUE TO
SHIFT TO PARK LIGHT ON

FORD:
2011-2014 Edge
2013-2014 Flex
2011-2015 Explorer
2013-2015 Taurus
LINCOLN:
2013-2014 MKS, MKT
2011-2015 MKX

ISSUE
Some 2011-2014 Edge, 2011-2015 MKX, Explorer, 2013-2014 Flex, MKT, MKS and 2013-2015 Taurus vehicles equipped
with a floor shift selector lever may exhibit a Shift To Park message displayed while in park, unable to remove integrated
keyhead transmitter (IKT), shifter stuck in park and/or discharged battery due to Shift to Park light remaining illuminated.
The park detect switch cannot detect the shifter is in park.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Replace the selector lever assembly.

And since it is a TSB it only falls under Factory Warranty Guidelines. IE 3/36 and any purchased extended warranty. If you are outside of this you pay.

Thanks Jason.
No wonder I couldn't find it, I searched by the message on my display and it doesn't say "Shift to Park".

Have a 2014 Sport and have had an issue where I put the vehicle in park, yet it states Transmission not in park when I shut off the engine.
Nothing shows on the indicator as to what the current transmission state is(Nothing is red/orange under P R N D M). The vehicle doesn't move
This has happened to me about 5 times now. It is currently at the dealer getting checked.
Anyone experience this?

Hi avg2424,

Is your Explorer still at the dealership or have you brought it home? Let me know; I'm here if you need my assistance. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Took my 2013 Explorer Sport to the dealer with 35,500 miles for the shift to park issue. It really has worsened over the last week....Dealer replaced shift assembly with part number CT4Z-7210-KC - has a volume control button that does not work and the gear shift does not hold its position. Back to the dealer tomorrow AM. Very Disappointing....

Are you saying there is a volume control on the shifter?? That doesn't sound right. I'm going from memory but I believe the button/switch on the left side of the shifter is for manually shifting gears. Not sure if that is what you are referring to.

Peter

Ok that may make sense - our original shifter in our sport did not have that. I'll test on the way to the dealer this AM. The larger problem is that the shifter has too much play in it and does not require the button to change positions. So with little effort it slides from one gear to the next. We will see what the dealer says this AM.

I believe the reason the Sport doesn't have that 'manual' shift button is that it has the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. If you have a Sport model, then I'm guessing they installed the wrong shifter.
It would be very helpful if you added the year and model of your Explorer to your profile so that it shows in the margin when you post. That way the members can more accurately respond to your posts since not all models have the same features etc.
Good luck.

Peter

They ordered you the wrong shifter.. you shouldn't have the buttons as the sport as the paddle buttons like Peter said. I'd request they order you the correct knob.

The dealer installed the correct shifter today.. They blamed it on a catalog error at Ford. I understand that there are interchangeable parts on the various models, but that was a ridiculous excuse. The part number/trim identified was for an edge.

Took my 2013 Explorer Sport to the dealer with 35,500 miles for the shift to park issue. It really has worsened over the last week....Dealer replaced shift assembly with part number CT4Z-7210-KC - has a volume control button that does not work and the gear shift does not hold its position. Back to the dealer tomorrow AM. Very Disappointing....

They did the same on mine; but I wasn't worried about it so I left it. Gives me something for my thumb to fiddle with :p
I wish it worked in addition to the paddles :)

They did the same on mine; but I wasn't worried about it so I left it. Gives me something for my thumb to fiddle with :p
I wish it worked in addition to the paddles :)

I got mine replaced last week along with the window motors for the chatter.

Mine also has the +/- but it has fixed my issue and remote start now has worked every time..so i am fine with it

The extra button wasn't the entire issue. The shifter itself had way to much play and would not lock into a gear - The new park feels and responds like our old lever without the messages. Glad that your replacements worked out better than mine....

Hi Aubs3,

How many miles do you have on your Explorer? Let me know and I'll see what I can do to help. :)

Crystal
I have 26,000 miles on my 2011 explorer and the problem started about a year ago. Had the vehicle in the service shop many times, but problem still is there. Going to make appt for next week to try and get this resolved now that I read info from this site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 26,000 miles on my 2011 explorer and the problem started about a year ago. Had the vehicle in the service shop many times, but problem still is there. Going to make appt for next week to try and get this resolved now that I read info from this site.

Good idea, Blueflame16; come back and tell us how things go at your dealer. I'll continue to monitor this thread in case you need my help.

Crystal

Back