Shift to Park Warning | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

Well, it's been two weeks and I got the "shift to park" message again while the family was in the car. We stopped to eat and when I shut the vehicle down, I heard the warning chime going off. I looked down and saw that the shift to park message was on and I promptly touched the button on the shifter and the car immediately shut down as it is supposed to do. I have made my service tech aware of this problem, but can't replicate it at the dealer. I think that I'll actively watch this and report it to them if it happens again. It just seems like it is a button issue and nothing more, but what do I know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, it's been two weeks and I got the "shift to park" message again while the family was in the car. We stopped to eat and when I shut the vehicle down, I heard the warning chime going off. I looked down and saw that the shift to park message was on and I promptly touched the button on the shifter and the car immediately shut down as it is supposed to do. I have made my service tech aware of this problem, but can't replicate it at the dealer. I think that I'll actively watch this and report it to them if it happens again. It just seems like it is a button issue and nothing more, but what do I know.

It is a button issue and nothing more. I believe it is a faulty contact inside the button. I haven't reread this whole thread again but try sitting there and tapping the button over and over to see if you can duplicate it with the vehicle in park. Reread my posts if needed for instructions.

The good thing about this at least is that you can fix the problem by retapping it so it is more of an annoyance. Believe me, it will get worse and become more frequent which will make it easy to duplicate.

It is a button issue and nothing more. I believe it is a faulty contact inside the button. I haven't reread this whole thread again but try sitting there and tapping the button over and over to see if you can duplicate it with the vehicle in park. Reread my posts if needed for instructions.

The good thing about this at least is that you can fix the problem by retapping it so it is more of an annoyance. Believe me, it will get worse and become more frequent which will make it easy to duplicate.

I'll keep an eye on it to see how it progresses. So far, playing with the button has solved it.

We'll see.

Thanks for your input.

My 2011 just started getting plagued with this issue. I haven't read through the entire thread so apologized if someone asked this already. Any ideas how much this going to cost me? or does anyone have a TSB that I can point them to? The biggest bummer is that my warranty just ran out on the 3rd of the month.

The Shift To Park problem is a Far Too Common Problem with these expensive vehicles. Ford ought to man up and step up to the plate and admit they have a bad part. I've driven my past, purchased new Fords for well over 500,000 km with the shifter button never being a problem.
For a while now I've been suffering from this problem with my 2011 Limited and JUST BEFORE the all inclusive warranty was up, there was a conversation with dealer, it was mentioned that the drive train has a longer warranty, so monitor the problem. Now, about 2,000 miles past the all inclusive, I find out the shifter is not part of the drivetrain. Really?
I feel duped, even if it was an honest mistake, it was not my mistake. The dealer has offered to help by reducing the repair costs by about 25% but it's still going to cost hundreds of dollars for a situation that IMHO is not my doing or fair on Ford's part.
Anyone else have to pay for the repair?
Thanks, I feel better now....

My 2011 just started getting plagued with this issue. I haven't read through the entire thread so apologized if someone asked this already. Any ideas how much this going to cost me? or does anyone have a TSB that I can point them to? The biggest bummer is that my warranty just ran out on the 3rd of the month.

Contact the Ford CS rep on here. If you are only out of warranty by a week, Ford should cover the repair.

I'm not sure how much the shifter is. It's not very complicated to take apart. From what I've seen, they remove the sides of each of the center console where the shifter is which exposes everything you need. All you need is a new shifter lever.

The Shift To Park problem is a Far Too Common Problem with these expensive vehicles. Ford ought to man up and step up to the plate and admit they have a bad part. I've driven my past, purchased new Fords for well over 500,000 km with the shifter button never being a problem.
For a while now I've been suffering from this problem with my 2011 Limited and JUST BEFORE the all inclusive warranty was up, there was a conversation with dealer, it was mentioned that the drive train has a longer warranty, so monitor the problem. Now, about 2,000 miles past the all inclusive, I find out the shifter is not part of the drivetrain. Really?
I feel duped, even if it was an honest mistake, it was not my mistake. The dealer has offered to help by reducing the repair costs by about 25% but it's still going to cost hundreds of dollars for a situation that IMHO is not my doing or fair on Ford's part.

This is not a common problem. Yes there are some people on here who have reported the problem but it's nothing like the exhaust smell or the rain leaking issue etc. To have a handful or two of people have this issue is not major.

I will say that the shifter was a new part number to it so I'm assuming the issue what found and addressed which created a new part number.

Ford hasn't even released a TSB which is what they do when there is a common problem found.

I agree with blwnsmoke in that ths is by no means a common problem. I also would have had serious doubts if they informed me that a shifter was part of the drive train. I guess you have a point in the fact that you feel duped but it was likely an honest mistake. Also, you like everyone else had the opportunity to buy the Ford ESP which many of us have done because of all the electronics on this vehicle and especially with the 2011 being the first year of a major redesign.
I suggest that you contact Crystal (FordService) at the following link and she may be able to offer some assistance in getting this looked after.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
Include your name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Also just to clarify for you.. Ford's warranty is as follows..

1yr/12k - 100% of the car except tires.
3yr/36k - Bumper to bumper minus wear and tear items (brakes, wiper blades etc).
5yr/60k - powertrain (Engine only - not transmission - only covers the engine itself, not bolt ons like the water pump or alternator).

Basically think of the powertrain as this.. if you blow your engine, it is essentially what they would replace (block, pistons, injectors, cylinders etc). Anything that is external to the engine but bolted on is not covered.

Although I think the dealership made an honest mistake, it is quite the mistake. They know exactly what is considered powertrain, Ford has had these types of warrantees for many years.

5yr/60k - powertrain (Engine only - not transmission - only covers the engine itself, not bolt ons like the water pump or alternator).

Basically think of the powertrain as this.. if you blow your engine, it is essentially what they would replace (block, pistons, injectors, cylinders etc). Anything that is external to the engine but bolted on is not covered.

Although I think the dealership made an honest mistake, it is quite the mistake. They know exactly what is considered powertrain, Ford has had these types of warrantees for many years.

Powertrain includes the Engine, as you stated, and the transmission, and front/rear wheel drive components. It is clearly stated in the Warranty Guide.

This is from a 2011 Lincoln (hence the 6year/70K, otherwise its the same for Ford):
Extended warranty coverage periods are available for certain
vehicle parts and conditions. Specifically,

(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for six years or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, electronic engine control unit, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, thermostat, thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump; Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, propeller shafts, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints.

Powertrain includes the Engine, as you stated, and the transmission, and front/rear wheel drive components. It is clearly stated in the Warranty Guide.

This is from a 2011 Lincoln (hence the 6year/70K, otherwise its the same for Ford):

Thanks for the clarification. They are different then compared to the Superduty trucks (that's what I was basing it off of.. figured it would be the same on all vehicles).

BCM 6535 – 2011 – 2013 Edge/ MKX/ Explorer “Shift To Park” Message While In Park

There is a bcm out there for this issue...mine just started doing this so I am going to take a pic and get it fixed.

BCM 6535 – 2011 – 2013 Edge/ MKX/ Explorer “Shift To Park” Message While In Park

There is a bcm out there for this issue...mine just started doing this so I am going to take a pic and get it fixed.

This actually helped, and after reading this, and digging up the repair procedure... SUCH an easy fix. Literally, a 10 minute job to fix this, and you don't have to replace ANYTHING!

First the BCM Message:

BCM 6535 - 2011 - 2013 Edge / MKX/ Explorer "Shift to Park" Message While In Park
2011 - 2013 Edge/ MKX/ Explorer "Shift to Park" message may be displayed with the shifter in Park if the shift cable is not correctly adjusted. Follow the shift cable adjustment procedure in the work shop manual section 307 - 05 to correct this condition. Remember that the shift cable adjustment is always done with both the shifter and transmission in Drive.

Now that all being said. Here's what you need to do.

Note: The Selector Adjustment is located JUST beneath the intake pipe from inside your hood, which Is why you need to remove it first. Once removed... easy peasy.

1. Remove the Intake Pipe which is the pipe that connects from the throttle body to the MAF / Air Filter box. If you don't know what this is, you shouldn't be doing this yourself in the first place This is connected via 2 flat head screwdriver adjustable hose clamps, and also has 2 ventilation tubes attached to it. One on the left side of the tube which comes from the crank case. And towards the throttle body connected via a small little resonator box also attached to the tube.

Now that that's out of the way. We can actually perform the procedure. Here it is Work Procedure 307-05:

SelectorCableAdjustment_Page_1_zpsbc196464.jpg

SelectorCableAdjustment_Page_2_zps32b60b9e.jpg

After this put the intake pipe back in place. Test everything out to make sure you're golden. Congratulations.... you fixed your car in about 10 minutes.

Out of about 12 trips daily in my 2011 Explorer Limited 19K, at least 3 or 4 times each day I started getting the message "Shift to Park" along with a warning chime after pushing the lever to the park position and turning off the key. I have to move the shift lever around and sometimes restart and re-shift to park. I know its warranty, but I am concerned since you can't seem to make it happen on demand, but at least 20% of my trips end this way, and it takes sometimes a minute or two messing with it to make the chime and warning go away. Looking to see if this has happened to anyone else, or is just a fluke on my Exp, and can it be easily fixed? Thanks!
My 2012 explorer has been in twice to get this fixed and they are telling me it is a cable adjustment issue. Still happening. Anyone get it repaired that actually worked? What did they have to do?

My 2012 explorer has been in twice to get this fixed and they are telling me it is a cable adjustment issue. Still happening. Anyone get it repaired that actually worked? What did they have to do?

Had mine adjusted three times and no fix. They ordered a new shifter assembly and replaced iver a month ago. Hasn't happened since.

Mine is also going to the Dealer tommorow with this same issue..

Welcome to the Forum Aubs3.:wavey:
Although I haven't read back through all the posts, it seems that the only way to actually fix this issue is to replace the shifter. Good luck.

Peter

My 2012 explorer has been in twice to get this fixed and they are telling me it is a cable adjustment issue. Still happening...

Hi Aubs3,

How many miles do you have on your Explorer? Let me know and I'll see what I can do to help. :)

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am also currently having this issue. My wife first noticed it a few months ago and it's been getting worse as time went on. The Ex has been in there since 830 this morning and I called at 1200 to see what the status was. They said they were able to replicate the issue once and are still trying to figure out what's going on. I then did a search on here and saw the comments regarding this issue as well and called him back to let him know what I had read on here about replacing the shifter. He just called back at 1230 saying that it is a cable adjustment issue and they need to order a part. Said it wouldn't be available for pickup until next week sometime. Well this won't work out for us as we need two vehicles for work and all. I asked him if they were going to be providing us a rental car and I was informed that since I didn't have the ESP that I would not be given a rental car. Then he said let me talk to the service tech and I'll call you back. Been almost 30 minutes now with no call back.

Back