'shifter' | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'shifter'

there is something reassyring and s

I actually ordered my F350 to get the floor-mounted transfer case shifter, this way I know which setting it is in rather than assuming that when I turned a dash knob the solenoids/motors/wiring etc did what was intended...regarding the ‘PRNDL’, it is more natural to ‘shift’ a transmission controller ...perhaps sixteen-year-olds learning on these new ‘knob controllers’ and driving only these ‘knob controlled’ vehicles will do well for themselves...
I have no problems with manual shift. A fake manual seems entirely stupid to me. It’s no more secure than any type of button or switch.

Most people are capable of change without being 16.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no problems with manual shift. A fake manual seems entirely stupid to me. It’s no more secure than any type of button or switch.

capable of change, yes, but at any age driving a ‘knob’ vehicle regularly with ‘auto park’, ‘auto e-brake’, etc and then driving an older vehicle that requires more attention can put the driver and others in harm’s way...I should have stressed the changing vehicles part more so than just age.

We're not talking about a manual transmission here. We're talking about an automatic transmission with a logical and normal shift lever vs a dial.

We're not talking about a manual transmission here. We're talking about an automatic transmission with a logical and normal shift lever vs a dial.
I’m not having any trouble understanding what we are talking about. I never mentioned a manual transmission, nor thought anyone was talking about one.

Things change. Adapt or get left behind. I bet it’s rare in 15 years to have a shifter, and if they have one it’s fake, and is still shift by wire.

The old school automatics used a spool valve to control what gear the driver chose, and need some type of mechanical linkage to transmit the drivers choice to that valve. Modern automatics now use a solenoid on that spool valve to tell the trans what to do, so a mechanical link is no longer needed. Manufacturers are taking advantage of this and getting creative in how they design the switch needed to tell the TCM what to do. Just be glad that ford decided on the rotary knob and not something else. I just wish ford would have kept the traditional shifter style like my 18 sport has.

I’m not having any trouble understanding what we are talking about. I never mentioned a manual transmission, nor thought anyone was talking about one.

Things change. Adapt or get left behind. I bet it’s rare in 15 years to have a shifter, and if they have one it’s fake, and is still shift by wire.
I am fine with a drive-by-wire transmission but want a mechanical interface with the tactile feel of a decades-old shifter (preferably on the column).
Aren’t ‘gas pedals’ drive-by-wire? The manufacturers left the pedal in place with all the feel and function of an older ‘throttle cable linked accelerator pedal’, this is not quite the same comparison but my point is that the drive-by-wire accelerator pedal experience is the same, that’s all I am looking-for in a ‘transmission selector’.

In post #21 you talked about a manual shift. Manual shifting is generally done with manual transmissions.
Most modern cars with automatic transmissions have a lever for selecting Fwd, N and Reverse, and not a round dial. Yes...both will be electronic. You don't seem that familiar with the concept of logical, intuitive, and natural controls. A lever provides that...a rotary dial does not. Even push buttons arranged appropriately are better than a rotary dial.

..................... Even push buttons arranged appropriately are better than a rotary dial.
The Aviator has those.

shifter.JPG

Never mind Peter. Found a nice pic of the console and dash. Very tasteful and logical. Lots of console space too.

In post #21 you talked about a manual shift. Manual shifting is generally done with manual transmissions.
Most modern cars with automatic transmissions have a lever for selecting Fwd, N and Reverse, and not a round dial. Yes...both will be electronic. You don't seem that familiar with the concept of logical, intuitive, and natural controls. A lever provides that...a rotary dial does not. Even push buttons arranged appropriately are better than a rotary dial.
If you read what I was replying to you’d see we were talking about TRANSFER CASES. Not transmissions.

I have no trouble with logic or controls, I build and work on large format control systems for a living.

I think if I had such a problem with such a large function as how a vehicle shifts I wouldn’t have spent my money on something that was SOOOO terrible. I’ve driven several cars with rotary controls. It’s really not that hard to use.

I’ve driven several cars with rotary controls. It’s really not that hard to use.

"When something's visceral, you feel it in your guts. A visceral feeling is intuitive — there might not be a rational explanation, but you feel that you know what's best, like your visceral reaction against egg salad."

I think if I had such a problem with such a large function as how a vehicle shifts I wouldn’t have spent my money on something that was SOOOO terrible. I’ve driven several cars with rotary controls. It’s really not that hard to use.

Never said it was hard to use. It just makes no sense, and is less than intuitive. Other than that and the silly HVAC controls, she's a lovely machine and has given me no trouble yet. Mind you, she's only got a little over 10,000km on her.

I bought it because it was cheap, four wheel drive, and rear wheel drive based. It's also big enough to carry my audio mixer, amps, speaker cabinets, stands, and upright bass, along with my singer (wife) and her guitar...and all the other bits and pieces required to run a musical trio.
There is also a need to be small enough to fit in the garage along with the Mustang, MGB, and Side by Side.

Took a long time to find the right vehicle. Traded a very nice, but old Jeep Commander. The Jeep was the better vehicle but they haven't made them since 2010, and the 2020 Grand Cherokee was too small.

If I insisted on a *visceral* driving experience I’d drive a manual transmission, no ABS, and nasty mechanical AWD.

There's a happy spot for everyone...somewhere between being a luddite and a thoroughly modern man.

If I insisted on a *visceral* driving experience I’d drive a manual transmission, no ABS, and nasty mechanical AWD.

Unfortunately it appears more people like to turn knobs than drive manual transmissions. I have three manuals and three automatics. Only one is missing a "shifter".

Unfortunately it appears more people like to turn knobs than drive manual transmissions. I have three manuals and three automatics. Only one is missing a "shifter".

I once owned a early 90s MR2 and it had a cable linkage shifter which while technically a shifter felt more like a cable gear selector. I too love manuals and have a vehicle with a 6 speed but in our society today that is becoming a thing of the past. With paddle shifters and select a terrain mode, driving seems to be more virtual reality then actual pedal feel.

Ever driven an early 70s muscle car? Something so raw and natural about them, like a real piece and calm that you are driving something that would survive without the internet or connected mobile hot spots.

Ever driven an early 70s muscle car? Something so raw and natural about them, like a real piece and calm that you are driving something that would survive without the internet or connected mobile hot spots.
I just finished this one:

dart_at_freds.jpg
dart_Interior_done.jpg

dash.jpg

This one is my oldest, a '60 Dart. On the left you can see the delete plate for the pushbutton automatic transmission. That's another one of Detroit's attempts at eliminating shifter handles. While some folks liked it, the majority did not. This car was originally three on the tree, but I converted it to a floor shift automatic.

Nice drag car. You will have to post some time slips.

I spent the first 2 years of my life rolling around in a 71 challenger 340

I really want to find a 70 or 71 cuda which is hard to do these days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On a car like that I might want it as an oddity.

I actually looked into building a stand alone controller/linkage to shift a 4406, but decided the market would be to small.

Back