'shifter' | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'shifter'

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
Regarding the 2021 Explorer, is it possible in any way to get a console-mounted STICK shifter or a column-mounted STICK shifter rather than the console-mounted KNOB shifter? ...or is it possible for a 'civilian' to obtain a new [low/no mileage] 'Interceptor' utility (sans any of the law enforcement features would be fine such as the auto roll-up windows, bulletproof doors, etc) in order to get a column-mounted shifter??...thank you for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ve seen extremely low mileage PIUs but they’ve all been Swiss cheesed for the law enforcement gear. I wouldn’t think there’d be any reason you couldn’t purchase the parts and swap it yourself.

I’ve seen extremely low mileage PIUs but they’ve all been Swiss cheesed for the law enforcement gear. I wouldn’t think there’d be any reason you couldn’t purchase the parts and swap it yourself.
Thanks for your response, Mbrooks420, I thought of that but was hoping for an easier solution, I recognize that what I am asking-for is wishful thinking, but you never know until you ask...thanks again.

Thanks for your response, Mbrooks420, I thought of that but was hoping for an easier solution, I recognize that what I am asking-for is wishful thinking, but you never know until you ask...thanks again.
I like the rotary shifter more than the push buttons on my 2013 Lincoln which I drove for 5 years. With the center stack buttons it was a further reach but the knob on the Explorer is perfectly placed where your hand falls and it is so quick to snap in and out of drive! Love it! I really can't see why a shifter would work better. It also works better than those joysticks that many other brands use.

I wish there was a shift lever retrofit to replace the counter intuitive rotary dial.
Also a pain when reaching for the round thingy that selects drive modes only to find that you've grabbed the round thingy that shifts the gear selection. Very disconcerting.
So far, this is the only "feature" on the Explorer that bothers me. Well, that and the silly HVAC controls.

I wish there was a shift lever retrofit to replace the counter intuitive rotary dial.
Also a pain when reaching for the round thingy that selects drive modes only to find that you've grabbed the round thingy that shifts the gear selection. Very disconcerting.
So far, this is the only "feature" on the Explorer that bothers me. Well, that and the silly HVAC controls.
It took me less than a month to totally get used to it. Then you drive another vehicle and you'll be confused.

I like the rotary shifter more than the push buttons on my 2013 Lincoln which I drove for 5 years. With the center stack buttons it was a further reach but the knob on the Explorer is perfectly placed where your hand falls and it is so quick to snap in and out of drive! Love it! I really can't see why a shifter would work better. It also works better than those joysticks that many other brands use.

Same here, I had a 2019 Lincoln and wasn't a fan of the push buttons, I love this rotary knob.

Same here, I had a 2019 Lincoln and wasn't a fan of the push buttons, I love this rotary knob.
The Fusion I drive at work has a smoother rotary action, not as clicky and plasticky more metallic and springy feel.

Why would they spend millions to design an interior, just to offer parts to dumb it down? They need all the bells and whistles and features and BS to justify the price tag that puts them in the luxury market. Which they aren’t, really.

They need all the bells and whistles and features and BS to justify the price tag that puts them in the luxury market. Which they aren’t, really.

I have to disagree. I drove my fathers 2018 Lexus for a few months to run out his lease when he was sick. Our Explorer ST is easily as luxurious as the Lexus while having less issues with the technology. IMO the ride is more comfortable, and the bells and whistles work as they should.

I had constant issues with the Lexus' cruise control. The Lexus would often slam on the brakes trying it's best to put me through the windshield every time it over reacted to a perceived "threat" such as a car stopped on the shoulder of the road, completely out of the lane of traffic. The Explorer has never once reacted like that with similar modes set.

Regarding the 2021 Explorer, is it possible in any way to get a console-mounted STICK shifter or a column-mounted STICK shifter rather than the console-mounted KNOB shifter? ...or is it possible for a 'civilian' to obtain a new [low/no mileage] 'Interceptor' utility (sans any of the law enforcement features would be fine such as the auto roll-up windows, bulletproof doors, etc) in order to get a column-mounted shifter??...thank you for your time.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As to the first question.....Not possible. The second has been addressed in that there are PIU's available to the public as many on this forum have purchased them. I have the 'piano' type shifter buttons on my Aviator and still miss the console shifter.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As to the first question.....Not possible. The second has been addressed in that there are PIU's available to the public as many on this forum have purchased them. I have the 'piano' type shifter buttons on my Aviator and still miss the console shifter.

Peter
Thanks, Peter, for your response.

Why would they spend millions to design an interior, just to offer parts to dumb it down? They need all the bells and whistles and features and BS to justify the price tag that puts them in the luxury market. Which they aren’t, really.
The rotary shifter is dumbed down. A gear selector lever would be a definite upgrade.
What's next? Steering with keyboard arrows instead of a steering wheel?

The rotary shifter is dumbed down. A gear selector lever would be a definite upgrade.
A mechanical lever is more technical than a rotary switch and servo controls? Sure.....

change for the sake of change with no added benefit to the driver; if the purpose was to ‘drive by wire’ a mechanical ‘unit’ could have provided the tactile feel of ‘old linkage shifters’ with all else below the console carrying out the knob’s functionality.

change for the sake of change with no added benefit to the driver; if the purpose was to ‘drive by wire’ a mechanical ‘unit’ could have provided the tactile feel of ‘old linkage shifters’ with all else below the console carrying out the knob’s functionality.
Why would you want that? My old Chevy work truck was like that, had a big floor mounted shift lever that ran a transfer case motor. Ridiculous.

Some folks need to keep up with the latest tech. New gear shift levers are electrical and completely drive by wire. No mechanical linkage at all. The control and ergonomics, however, are all still intuitive to the driving experience, and give a natural feel.
Even my son's cheap old Kia Stinger has up to date electronics with a very nicely done electronic shifter lever. Way ahead of Ford's idea of chic.

First a steering wheel that folds up and stows away while in full autonomous mode. Next, no steering wheel at all.:banghead:

I think one of the reasons some manufacturers are moving away from the console mounted shifter was to provide more room for other things/features.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why would you want that? My old Chevy work truck was like that, had a big floor mounted shift lever that ran a transfer case motor. Ridiculous.
there is something reassyring and s
I actually ordered my F350 to get the floor-mounted transfer case shifter, this way I know which setting it is in rather than assuming that when I turned a dash knob the solenoids/motors/wiring etc did what was intended...regarding the ‘PRNDL’, it is more natural to ‘shift’ a transmission controller ...perhaps sixteen-year-olds learning on these new ‘knob controllers’ and driving only these ‘knob controlled’ vehicles will do well for themselves...

Back