Shock too Short? (f-250 shock mount) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shock too Short? (f-250 shock mount)

...Great information..:biggthump

...Holy cow...:eek:...1/2 a century old..:p:

..Your working like your birthday is tomorrow...When is your birthday??...

Not till February. I have to get it as close to rolling as possible because my father passed and if my sister has her way I will be without a shop...

IMG_1084 web.jpg

IMG_1082 web small.jpg

IMG_1102 web.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Us youngins are rootin for ya...Great project...:biggthump

...How's this coming along...:popcorn:

...How's this coming along...:popcorn:

Not much progress since I posted the last time... My last post shows the Custom mounts for the new/longer shocks on the SOA conversion. Front and rear shocks are all complete, Now I need to figure out what I am going to do for extending the brake lines to all four...

I've got the tab cut off the control arm of the Superlift Super Runner steering package and need to weld on my new one that will come closer to getting the tie rods at the same angle as the axles.

I got my garage cleaned out so that I could pull her inside to change the rear axle bearings and completely rebuild the rear brakes. now, I can also work on either end while not having to move her in and out of the garage and I can access both the front and rear with chainfalls to do the body placement...

I have been taking a mental break since the 4th of July, been out camping and weel'n with my other rigs up in northern Washington and Idaho... Time to get back to work on the project soon.

IMG_1162 web.jpg

IMG_1171 web.jpg

IMG_1205 web.jpg

IMG_1206 web.jpg

...Cool pics...Looks like a good place for clearing your head...:biggthump

...Quick question for you on the shock towers... Can you tell me the measurement in height and since they are bent outward, can you tell me how far the bolt holes (to receive the shock) center from the frame?

...Can you tell me the measurement in height and since they are bent outward, can you tell me how far the bolt holes (to receive the shock) center from the frame?

Measured to the center of the shock eye from the top of the frame = 9". REMEMBER; Mine are mounted higher than you may be able to do using an Explorer front end. With my F-1 body, I will still have about 3" of clearance between the top of the shock and my fender.

Measured from the outer most part of the frame to the center of the shocks eye = 4.25"

This and the lift allowed me to use shocks that max out at 36" instead of the stock 14.25"

Hope that helps...

...So the overall height of the shock tower would be about 16"? Or is the 9" from the top of the flat on the shock tower? How tall is it then at the flat part that mounts at the frame?

...This does help a lot...I didn't know they stood 4 1/4" away from the frame...:scratch:...I might have to do some measuring on mine since I'm still running stock wheels...

..So far I haven't found these at the jy...My local Ford can have them to me in a day at $15.88 @...

Cool project! Can't wait to see it running.

Quick question about the F-250 shock towers - Could you adjust the cut/weld on the shock towers so they are not 4 1/2" from the frame?

Cool project! Can't wait to see it running.

Quick question about the F-250 shock towers - Could you adjust the cut/weld on the shock towers so they are not 4 1/2" from the frame?

If you can weld, I'm sure you could make a cut at the point where the tower angles away from the frame (Red line) and straighten and re-weld it to whatever your needs are...

Thanks, I can't wait to see it on the road too!

Attachments

• ear web2.jpg
    ear web2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 614

4x50 has hit setup much higher than you could with an X body. Mine are much lower and to put it in perspective.. The passenger side upper shock mount just barely clears the a/c box and my shock mount is straight up from the frame, not angles out like 4x50's is.

A slight angle out would actually help get it to clear the brake booster and the a/c box.

~Mark

...So the overall height of the shock tower would be about 16"? Or is the 9" from the top of the flat on the shock tower? How tall is it then at the flat part that mounts at the frame?

...This does help a lot...I didn't know they stood 4 1/4" away from the frame...:scratch:...I might have to do some measuring on mine since I'm still running stock wheels...

..So far I haven't found these at the jy...My local Ford can have them to me in a day at $15.88 @...

Knowing that I had lots of clearance, I welded mine together with it about 1.5" from the botom of the stock spring bucket. 9" is from the top of the frame.

With no lift I can see where there may be an issue with the 4.25" but I have 5.5" of lift and it clears 35's. If you were to reduce that offset there may be damage to the shock durring droop...

This type was only found on the Supper Duty trucks that I could find here.

Attachments

• IMG_0906 web.jpg
    IMG_0906 web.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 614

Measurements

Just for clarification...

Attachments

• IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_1213.JPG
    IMG_1213.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_0903 web2.jpg
    IMG_0903 web2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 624

...A slight angle out would actually help get it to clear the brake booster and the a/c box.

~Mark

Even with the upper mount offset from the frame by 4.25", I had to add a 1.5"spacer to the lower mount to keep the shock from hitting the SupperLift radius arm. (spacer shown in top photo was not the 1.5" I ended up needing for clearance)

Attachments

• IMG_0912 web.jpg
    IMG_0912 web.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 596

...Those pics will defininately help a lot of people...Thanks for posting them...:biggthump

Just for clarification...

On mine its 5.5" from the top of the coil bucket to the center of the upper shock bolt.

4792208238_08445f5341.jpg

I couldn't get a pic from the top (airbox is in the way.. or lots of other crap on the other side)...

I'm using the stock lower mount though and from what I can tell, its never hit.

4791577041_d57dd0db9f.jpg

~Mark

how's this goin? I'm guessing your birthday is closing in?

Not Well

Currently it's just an interesting shelf out in the garage. About the only work beeing done after my Dad passed is the time I have spent clearing off all the crap that gets piled on it when the GF dosen't want the stuff in the house...

Yep, my birthday will be the 11th and it looks like the big test drive will be putting a lawn chair up in the cab and drinking a case of beer. (If I can afford it...)

Attachments

• IMG_1243 web.jpg
    IMG_1243 web.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 532
  • driver side shock web.jpg
    driver side shock web.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 561

...Just lettin you know...

... you have a bunch a fans of your project here that will anxiously be waiting when you get a chance to do some more work on it...:biggthump

... you have a bunch a fans of your project here that will anxiously be waiting when you get a chance to do some more work on it...:biggthump

X2...This is one of the coolest projects on this forum in my opinion. I think I've only ever seen one other body swap onto an RBV frame and it was 2wd.

Even if you don't finish by the 11th, keep at it! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New motivation!

X2...This is one of the coolest projects on this forum...

Even if you don't finish by the 11th, keep at it! :)

Thanks for your input guys! You realy did kick start my motivation! After my Dad passed, I lost interest in this project and a lot of other things around here... You got me thinking that it may be because I realy missed him sitting around, supervising and giving me **** about weather or not my nephew and I realy know what we are doing...

So, even though I do not have any budget for the project, I am going to start working on the things I can do with parts I have on hand...

I'll put some updates about what I do this weekend over on my Going Up! thread.

Sincerely, thanks for the motivational kick start!

Attachments

• DSCN1185 web.jpg
    DSCN1185 web.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 502

Back