• Register Today It's free!

Shopping for a 2014 Sport

slc18t

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Sport
I have been looking for a forum to research the Explorer Sport before our purchase and this is the best resource by far. Thank you to all that contribute and I hope to become one of you in the near future.

We are set on white, 401a, towing package. Everything else is up for discussion. Kids are in the future but we are leaning away from the second row bucket seats as we like the idea of hauling 7 passengers if needed. There is not a vehicle matching our basic needs in the country, (that Ford marketing can find at least) so we decided to open our search up to the moonroof and adaptive cruise / crash mitigation. I like the idea of adaptive cruise, but we cant find one with just the cruise/crash mitigation package. So we will probably end up with the moonroof. If anyone knows of a better searching tool than the Ford site, let me know!

I have a 2000 Audi S4 stage 3 plus. Twin turbo V6. So adding another twin turbo V6 to the stable sounds like a great idea.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum:chug:

I moved your thread into our Stock 2011+ subforum.

I have been looking for a forum to research the Explorer Sport before our purchase and this is the best resource by far. Thank you to all that contribute and I hope to become one of you in the near future.

We are set on white, 401a, towing package. Everything else is up for discussion. Kids are in the future but we are leaning away from the second row bucket seats as we like the idea of hauling 7 passengers if needed. There is not a vehicle matching our basic needs in the country, (that Ford marketing can find at least) so we decided to open our search up to the moonroof and adaptive cruise / crash mitigation. I like the idea of adaptive cruise, but we cant find one with just the cruise/crash mitigation package. So we will probably end up with the moonroof. If anyone knows of a better searching tool than the Ford site, let me know!

I have a 2000 Audi S4 stage 3 plus. Twin turbo V6. So adding another twin turbo V6 to the stable sounds like a great idea.
Welcome to the Forum slc18t.:wavey:
From what I see on the Ford site is that you can have either the Adaptive Cruise Control /Collision Warning system or the Moonroof, or both. They are separate options. I have both and find the ACC is a feature I use almost daily. The moonroof really seems to open up the interior. As for carrying 7 passengers, the middle seat of the 2nd row bench is very, very narrow. If you haven't seen it, I recommend that you have a look or try it out first.
If you want to have a look at the Owner's Manual, you can do so by going to
https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Cont...oLogin=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&ord=99110261
Just pick the Year, Make and Model and click on Find My Vehicle. It is a PDF document that you can also save to your computer.
Good luck.

Peter

I just picked up a 2014 limited almost 1 month ago.

I ordered the moon roof and the Adaptive Cruise control and love both.

I haven't had a moon roof since 2004. After having one for the past 28 days I have to say its a great option. It does brighten up the interior quite a bit on a sunny day.
I close the shades when its hot and sunny and I park it to keep the heat down.

The remote start turn on the AC on high so that you have a head start on AC on a really hot day.

I wrote a thread on the adaptive cruise control collision avoidance and love and use the system every time I get on the highway.

I had 8 people in mine and was very happy and impressed with the vehicle.
The 2nd row bench does take away one person from the carry equation.

It is a great vehicle, I am sure you will enjoy it.
I have seen quite a few Sports on the road, its a nice looking vehicle.

Mine took app 12 weeks to come in as I ordered it off the line.

Good luck with it, drive safely.

Just bought a Sport and it has just about every option; I really like the sunroof - as stated earlier it really "opens up" the interior. I opted for the captains chairs in the back after realizing that the 7th seat is pretty tight and I would rather not deal with having to move the seat forward every time someone needs to climb into the third row. For me it's far easier to just let them clamor in to the vehicle and then migrate back to the rear through the passage. That way I don't have to move booster seats and such on a regular basis. As it stands, I have six people in the family and a seat for all of them. Any one else can find their own ride ;)

The adaptive cruise is neat, but crash mitigation is a red herring IMO. If I need the car to tell me when I'm about to run into something, I'm not paying enough attention :)

The red herring you mention does more than just alert you, the system will pre charge your brake system so you would stop much quicker with out you having to pump you brakes...!

Just bought a Sport and it has just about every option; I really like the sunroof - as stated earlier it really "opens up" the interior. I opted for the captains chairs in the back after realizing that the 7th seat is pretty tight and I would rather not deal with having to move the seat forward every time someone needs to climb into the third row. For me it's far easier to just let them clamor in to the vehicle and then migrate back to the rear through the passage. That way I don't have to move booster seats and such on a regular basis. As it stands, I have six people in the family and a seat for all of them. Any one else can find their own ride ;)

The adaptive cruise is neat, but crash mitigation is a red herring IMO. If I need the car to tell me when I'm about to run into something, I'm not paying enough attention :)
As NEWPORTNJ mentioned, Ford's Collision Warning system (crash mitigation = Mitsubishi) does pre charge your brakes should you require them. I is also a real shocker when it goes off and you aren't ready for it. It happens most times when the vehicle ahead is slowing for a right turn and you don't slow down much because you know it will be out of the way by the time you get there. Red flashing lights and chimes really get you attention. Those can be turned OFF if desired.

Peter

I have been looking for a forum to research the Explorer Sport before our purchase and this is the best resource by far. Thank you to all that contribute and I hope to become one of you in the near future...

Welcome to the forum, slc18t! I know you'll absolutely love the Explorer Sport. Since you've already been in touch with our Marketing folks, I recommend reaching out to your local dealership so they can further assist you in your search. Let us know when you decide to pull the trigger! :)

Crystal

We'll have 2 kids (second any day now...) and we got the 2nd row buckets (no console) specifically so that we can continue to use the 3rd row with child seats installed. We currently have 3 rows in our Kia Sorento, but because we can't flip the seats down, the 3rd row is totally inaccessible.

Back