2016 Explorer Sport. We did it! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Sport. We did it!

I see many people posting about purchasing winter tires for their vehicles. What am I missing here? I do not understand paying so much money for a vehicle then spending another $2,000+ for a set of tires for use a couple months out of the year, let alone the hassle and storage of these wheels. In my life, I have never heard of this, yet it seems common on this forum. In this case, when you pay so much for a vehicle, why aren't the tires regionally selected then? I do not understand this and wonder if I am really in the minority here in thinking the cost, space and hassle of changing tires every couple months is a ridiculous hassle.
Spending 1 hour twice a year, plus $2k for wheels and tires, will seem like like peanuts when you experience the added grip and safety. Add with kids, it's a no-brainer. I seriously can't imagine driving on snow and ice on all-seasons -- it's suicidal, and shocking that people do it.

Consumer Reports says this month that like 15% of people run winters. Tragically low.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spending 1 hour twice a year, plus $2k for wheels and tires, will seem like like peanuts when you experience the added grip and safety. Add with kids, it's a no-brainer. I seriously can't imagine driving on snow and ice on all-seasons -- it's suicidal, and shocking that people do it.

Consumer Reports says this month that like 15% of people run winters. Tragically low.

Suicidal? That's a little sensational with all-season tires, don't ya think? Seeing that my Grandfather, Father and I (being 36), have never had them, I will take my chances for the 5 days of the year that the roads are actually bad before the trucks can get to them. In fact, no one I know around here runs winter tires - seeing the comments on this forum was the first time I ever heard of it. I can see living in Canada, but here I just do not see it unless you're in the far Northeast. But if it makes you feel safer, I can understand.

I agree with you except for the cost. It cost me $1555 (CDN) for a complete Winter set up on my previous 2011 Limited and $1666 for my 2014 MKT. A recent poll in the Ottawa area showed 70% of drivers use Winter tires. The other thing people tend to forget that you will extend the period that your 3 season tires will last. I use the Winters for 5 months and also get a 5% discount on my auto insurance premium. I also think that many people do not really understand the differences between the two types of tires. Many think only about snow when in fact Winter tires provide much better traction on cold bare roads because of their rubber compound. Tests have shown that Winter tires provide up to 30% shorter stopping distances. No hassle with the storage. The dealer does that for $30 and they swap the tires when I go for my oil changes.

Peter

Boy I sure am glad our winters usually stay above 40 degrees Fahrenheit!:D

Suicidal? That's a little sensational with all-season tires, don't ya think? ... But if it makes you feel safer, I can understand.
Of course "suicidal" is hyperbole, but the point is there's enormous difference in safety between winters and all-seasons in ALL weather below 50F. This CR issue shows it takes 300 feet longer to stop on A/S versus winters in snow. And similar story on dry, just not as exaggerated.

It's not about "feeling safer" -- it's undisputed that winters ARE far safer. Try it and you'll see the light!

p.s. Nearly all my friends run winters here in Chicago (all are also car enthusiasts). It's more common than you'd guess.

Back