Short Throw Shifter | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Short Throw Shifter

Well I got my Short Throw Shifter today. I don't have any befores, but it was like any of the 5spd shifters out there (just prolly ALOT sloppier). Here's some after pics tho. Part# 391 5020 from Hurst. I ordered mine from Summit for $199. I am happy simply because I can use my cup holders again for 32 oz cups LOL.

Side shot:

Attachments

• shifter sideb.jpg
    shifter sideb.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 7,546

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Siekyre
I t wouldn't be hard at all. The only reason I didn't, is becuase the base that holds the boot on my stock shifter was broke in various places. Eventually I will be putting the stock boot back on, as soon as I get out to a u pull it to grab the plastic base anyhow ;)

mine cost me a whole $2!

based on what you have told me and the limited pics, there is no way that will work with my shifter ext (although i may not need it with the short throw).

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

can u give me the link for the shifter? i would like to put one in my X

anyone else with the hurst have problems with the shift lever coming loose?? I've loctited mine 3 times with the red stuff and every time it comes loose in a couple months.

Where can I get a short throw ? My shifter doesn't have a knob, and a new knob can't be screwed on, so I'm just gonna get a new shifter.... Which is the best type of short throw ? How much are they?

Originally posted by N2MUDN91
Where can I get a short throw ? My shifter doesn't have a knob, and a new knob can't be screwed on, so I'm just gonna get a new shifter.... Which is the best type of short throw ? How much are they?
\

Hey same here I am having a rebuilt tranny put in now and would be aperfect time to go to a short throw shifter. Where can I get one and how much?

Originally posted by N2MUDN91
Where can I get a short throw ? How much are they?

Originally posted by AlaskanJack
Where can I get one and how much?

Originally posted by Siekyre
Well I got my Short Throw Shifter today. I don't have any befores, but it was like any of the 5spd shifters out there (just prolly ALOT sloppier). Here's some after pics tho. Part# 391 5020 from Hurst. I ordered mine from Summit for $199. I am happy simply because I can use my cup holders again for 32 oz cups LOL.

Side shot:

First post :rolleyes:

Re: Re: Short Throw Shifter

Originally posted by Premier
First post :rolleyes:

Err, ummm Sorry I don't know how I missed that. Making my call today and thanks for getting me straight.:(

LoL :D no problem ;)

Just thought I would point it out :p

For anyone having problems with the shifter handle coming loose, the answer seems pretty simple. According to the picture of the shifter, there is plenty of thread extending out the other side from the bolt heads. Find out what the thread size is and put a locknut there (use an aircraft all-metal type if possible). That should fix the problem.

Im lookin at gettin a 93 XLT 4x4. its stock 5 speed. Its gonna need a new clutch soon and i figure i may as well do this. Will there be any problems when putting it in? Is it basically take the old out, put the new hurst in? Also what would be a good aftermarket clutch to put in? I am gonna do some engine mods and possiblely a supercharger., woudl a stage 1 suffice? i dont want to have to stomp on the clutch to get it to go down.

Get a centerforce dual friction clutch you wont be disapointed. Trust me

what happened to the b/l conversation??

the body lift conversation kind of died down.. im planning on putting a 3 inch body lift in my 94 sport, and i definetly want to buy that hurst short throw shifter some time in the future also. would it work or not? what exactly does the shifter extension do when you buy a body lift? does it raise the pivot point? it must, i cant see any other way of making it shift properly with a lifted body, if that was the case, with the short throw shifter and the shifter extension, the shift point would be raised 4 or 5 inches, that would be a super short throw shifter... haha. hmm... any help on the subject would be appreciated.

whelp... found the answer to my own question, and the other guys... the hurst short throw shifter will not work with any type of body lift. i decided to take a trip to the official hurst website (actually its on www.mrgasket.com) and looked at the applications. there was an asterisk next to all the trucks, and at the bottom was a foot note that said "will not work with body lift" so there you have it, it just wont work.

Well I finished a 3 in BL this last weekend. The short thrower shift is working fine. I didnt do any mods to it or the body. The shifter sits a little lower now, but not to bad. I will try and take pictures later tonight. Bottom line is it does work with the 3 inch BL =D

hurst shifter

I have a 94' X with a little mods done and was wondering will the Hurst shifter offered at Summit Racing slide right in or will I have to fight with it.

It was a simple bolt on. I don't know what mods you are talking about, but unless you have modded the shifter area of the tranny in anyway, you shouldn't have any problems installing one.

I might be getting this really soon, but first have one problem. I might be doing a manual transfer case swap in the Explorer. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to put this shifter in and has a manual t-case. I have already searched on EF with no luck. Also, I checked out their site (mrgasket.com) and haven't found the ranger/explorer shifter on there anymore, so I can't figure out if it will say that it won't work with the manual t-case. I sent them a question about this, but I don't think I'll get an answer until Monday or so. TIA

EDIT: I just found the downloadable 2001 online catalog on their site, and found the shifter in there. The only info it has on it though is that it won't work w/ a body lift.

Confused?

Ok im confused ( but thats nothing new LOL), is this on a Explorer or a Ranger? When I called Summit they said the part number is for a Ranger and they don't make one for a Explorer?

Im very interested if it will work as all of the sudden my shift bar spins all the way around and I can no longer shift. I assume its just plain worn out, so if I am gonna replace it, may as well do this.

Back