Should I come full circle?

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
Hi gang,

I have a 92 XLT, which is getting old (197,000 miles). I want to keep it but its too old to be my sole vehicle. I was thinking economy car for a daily driver, like maybe a Focus wagon (more cargo space than an Escape). I ruled out Escape because the V6 fuel economy is not much better than the Explorer, and it won't carry a lot of cargo. The import SUV's leave me cold. I even researched the Freestyle (more like a minivan, and very odd tire size).

BUT, I keep comparing all of these vehicles to my trusty Explorer and I'm concluding that I may only be satisfied with.....another Explorer! Would it be silly to have two Explorers? Don't answer that...

Anyone have advice on the 2006 or 2007 Ex? Like XLS vs XLT? Is it better to get the optional bigger tires? Are running boards worth it or do they reduce ground clearance (I gotta get under it to change the oil and "tinker")and rust, to boot? Any thoughts on models or options would be appreciated.

How does the ride and handling compare with the first generation Ex?

Thank you.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bwana Bob said:
Would it be silly to have two Explorers?

Its silly to not own two explorers :p

I got an 05, so im not quite in the bracket your looking for, but ill try and be of help anyway.

The 05 is lightyears ahead of my 91 in terms of comfort and handleing. (rides like a car, because it basically is one) the first gens are more truck like and handle as such, yet the trae off is theyre more offroad capable (i dont know what you use yours for)

I took my runing boards off because i would have riped em off on something by now if i didnt.

Thanks, Surreal,

I don't wheel it. I don't know where I could (legally) wheel it here in NNJ, and I just have the 235 stock tire size and height. Its the daily driver (40 mile round trip), plus the weekend hauler and vacation rig. It is my only vehicle. Yes, it handles and rides like a truck, but its fun to drive because it has a stick. A new one would certainly be more comfortable, safe and reliable, but I'd keep the old one as a spare or beater (probably has zero trade in value).

Right now I'm shying away from Freestyle and Escape. I like the looks of the Explorer XLS with the black grille, and the absence of the wheel lip moldings makes it look a little more like the older gen Ex. Think I might go for the sport package, though.

The only option I would miss with the XLS vs the XLT would be the fog lamps, but an aftermarket bar and a couple of nice Hellas will take care of that.

Bob

techieman33 said:
As much as I really hate to say this what about a dodge magnum, lots of cargo room, and what I would guess to be decent gas mileage with the displacement on demand hemi.

BAN HIM!!!!!!! Seriously though, they are nice cars. Really easy to roast the tires.

Get a new 06 Explorer and call it at that. You will be helping ford stay in business.

Back