• Register Today It's free!

Should I keep my X??

blackout881

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddie Bauer 4.0
The relationship between me and my X has def. been a love hate relationship. I love driving her, she looks great, gets me where I need to go (most of the time)..But like any other woman she requires a LOT of attention to keep her happy. lol. I currently have 98k on my 04' EB 4.0. I bought it three years ago and now is the time I planned on trading it in. In the past three years she, like any other woman, she drained my entire life savings (I am only 23). I bought her with 50k, and the owner of the local ford dealer owned her before me and took meticulous care of her, as do I. I am a freak with my vehicles and get everything done when I should. In the past 3 years I replace, 3 axle seals (4th is leaking now), 2 ball joints, brakes/rotors, fuel filter, coolant flush, new hoses (fan belt cut through one), 4 wheel bearings (one at a time as they went bad), at 88k the transmission went even though I flushed it at 50k and 80k and drove only highway miles without towing..Tons of other "small things" went wrong, my back up sensors do not work anymore..the only problem I havnt had is the blend door (on my 98 EB it was broken for years)...I am torn on if I should keep this truck, hoping that everything is fixed that will go wrong but every time I get in it for a long drive I am scared to death. I have no faith in my X, and I hate feeling like that. The engine runs like a top and the suspension seems fine. So should i keep her? Can i expect the engine to run to 180k with normal maintenance and care?

I hear you man my x is mid way through installing a new xcase because I blew mine up...
I had a torque convertor go at 33k,77k, full trans rebuild at 97k, and now it may need it again since killing low range...

I know my x gives me hell sometimes but I surely give her hell...
I would never trade my baby in ever... Will keep till it really dies...
At least in comparison parts are readily available and cheap

If you have already lost faith in it, I'd get rid of it- every little thing that goes wrong from now on will irritate you to no end. Been there, done that. :)

The relationship between me and my X has def. been a love hate relationship. I love driving her, she looks great, gets me where I need to go (most of the time)..But like any other woman she requires a LOT of attention to keep her happy. lol. I currently have 98k on my 04' EB 4.0. I bought it three years ago and now is the time I planned on trading it in. In the past three years she, like any other woman, she drained my entire life savings (I am only 23). I bought her with 50k, and the owner of the local ford dealer owned her before me and took meticulous care of her, as do I. I am a freak with my vehicles and get everything done when I should. In the past 3 years I replace, 3 axle seals (4th is leaking now), 2 ball joints, brakes/rotors, fuel filter, coolant flush, new hoses (fan belt cut through one), 4 wheel bearings (one at a time as they went bad), at 88k the transmission went even though I flushed it at 50k and 80k and drove only highway miles without towing..Tons of other "small things" went wrong, my back up sensors do not work anymore..the only problem I havnt had is the blend door (on my 98 EB it was broken for years)...I am torn on if I should keep this truck, hoping that everything is fixed that will go wrong but every time I get in it for a long drive I am scared to death. I have no faith in my X, and I hate feeling like that. The engine runs like a top and the suspension seems fine. So should i keep her? Can i expect the engine to run to 180k with normal maintenance and care?

Sometimes, it just comes down to do you want a car payment or do you want to spend the money on repairs.

I just got an estimate for $1500 for new wheel bearings all around. Still cheaper than a new-used vehicle.

Back