• Register Today It's free!

Side Trim removal

Titan09

Reaction score
City, State
Southeast Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport 4x4
Okay, first things first - I didn't know whether to put this in the Body Work & Detailing forum, as that's a more general forum for such and I have a first gen Ex, so I thought I'd post it in here instead, since it is more likely that someone knows the answer to this.

My question is fairly simple. I haven't tried to do it yet, but I was wondering how you remove the side trim that runs along the bottom of the door (the one w/ the stripe). Here's a pic of my Ex so you can see what I'm talking about:

IMG_0783.jpg

Do the trim pieces just pry off, or is there something behind them holding them onto the body other than simple clips? I figured I'd ask before I just went out there and tried to do it, and ended up breaking it :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The molding with red stripe?

Taped on.

Just bend it back some with a tool of your choice, and then slowly pull it off. It'll leave adhesive/tape on the Explorer, but just use a pinstripe/decal removal tool that you put on a drill, and just "rub" it off.

https://0200890.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=200

There's the tool I used to remove the adhesive and left over tape, just put it in your drill, and go to work "rubbing" it off.

Good Luck

Simple enough. Thanks :)

What I'm trying to do is a small "touch up" project. I replaced the stock black grille that goes with the Sport with the "chrome" grille found on other Explorers. Mine was sort of screwed up when I got it, so I decided to replace the grille and the headlight/corner light assemblies with the "chrome" ones. Anyway, it left the rest of the trim and molding on the truck looking...dull, so I figured I could repaint all of the faded trim to make my Ex pop a bit more.

This weekend, I took the front bumper off of my Ex and I plan to repaint the metal gloss black, and paint the trim piece in the middle a darker red to give it a more Sport-like look. Then I started thinking about how that will make the sides look, so I thought I'd better do the side moldings the same way. So hopefully things will turn out in this small project, and my Ex will look a bit better than it did before :)

can you post a pic when the side trim is off? i might want to do this to mine. WOW i have a lot of projects lined up

Simple enough. Thanks :)

What I'm trying to do is a small "touch up" project. I replaced the stock black grille that goes with the Sport with the "chrome" grille found on other Explorers. Mine was sort of screwed up when I got it, so I decided to replace the grille and the headlight/corner light assemblies with the "chrome" ones. Anyway, it left the rest of the trim and molding on the truck looking...dull, so I figured I could repaint all of the faded trim to make my Ex pop a bit more.

This weekend, I took the front bumper off of my Ex and I plan to repaint the metal gloss black, and paint the trim piece in the middle a darker red to give it a more Sport-like look. Then I started thinking about how that will make the sides look, so I thought I'd better do the side moldings the same way. So hopefully things will turn out in this small project, and my Ex will look a bit better than it did before :)

DSCN1161.jpg

i too wanted to get rid of the orange stripe but really did not want to mess with the time and glue removel i just bought some of 3m's best high temp electrical tape and used that to cover the orange with.it's been almost 2 years now and it's not even wanted to peel or come loose ...good stuff for $6 a roll at home depot

titan09 if you do really remove the trim i would like a pic ive been looking for a little and cant find one with the trim removed with the 2 tone paint

titan09 if you do really remove the trim i would like a pic ive been looking for a little and cant find one with the trim removed with the 2 tone paint

...did'nt bill gates teach you anything lol ...m/s paint is your friend......

notrim.jpg

Back