Sigh.... broken exhaust hanger just ruined my week | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sigh.... broken exhaust hanger just ruined my week

Is there any way you can go after the responsible government agency who is supposed to take care of the roads?..... like when you hit a pothole and blow a tire or your alignment goes out you can usually make the local municipal authority pay.

They have a duty to maintain the roads which usually includes cleaning off debris from the travelled portion of the roadway.

Maybe they will pay the deductible......no?

Come on can't somebody on here who took out their stock exhaust for an aftermarket upgrade can help out here with parts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there any way you can go after the responsible government agency who is supposed to take care of the roads?..... like when you hit a pothole and blow a tire or your alignment goes out you can usually make the local municipal authority pay.

They have a duty to maintain the roads which usually includes cleaning off debris from the travelled portion of the roadway.

Come on can't somebody on here who took out their stock exhaust for an aftermarket upgrade can help out here with parts?

I tried that a few years back, and recently with my friend's car. Her Lexus had 2 destroyed wheels and tires, and some body damage from a HUGE pothole, that coincidentally enough took a fire truck out of service with blown tires and a damaged axle the night before she hit it. The city told her to pound sand when she asked that very same question about the deductible. When I called for my wheels getting hammered to hell over a shifted joint in the roadway, the angry ghetto woman on the phone told me (verbatim), "Whatchu mean you want us to pay for yo bills, it aint our fault you aint payin attention to what you drivin over...." The worst part about it is, I had my deductibles lowered 2 months ago, but they only dropped the comp, the collision stayed the same

Is there any way you can go after the responsible government agency who is supposed to take care of the roads?.....

Funny stuff. VDOT laughed at me when I called the regional office after wiping out 2 low profile wheels and tires on a massive pothole on a state road.

In Ohio, if you can prove that the responsible agency has been notified of an issue and didn't respond in a reasonable amount of time, you can sometimes be reimbursed for a deductible. Sometimes.....

I forgot to post an update last night. I went to inspect the truck and I'll be damned if I didnt see something in the road, but I sure hit it. Looks like I hit a trailer tire or something, was more paying attention to running code to the station than **** in the road, and probably didnt hear the initial impact over the siren.

Well, there you go. That sucks. At least you have the answer.

Maybe an edit of the first post would be appropriate for some clarification of the damage and cause?

I got the county to pay for a huge water filled pothole I hit years ago with my then brand new Subaru that took out the tire and wheel ($600 bill), so some will or did....

I was coming off a freeway in a turn pretty fast on the way to my fire station when CLUNKGEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Pulled to the side 6 seconds later and thats what I saw. One of the hangers for the mid pipe and flex coupling is torn =/

Well this is just my reasoning so take it for what it's worth but... If the lower cladding and air dam on your front bumper is in tact and not severely scratched, broken, missing, or barely hanging on the vehicle then you had plenty enough ground clearance to pass over whatever it is you hit... Warranty should cover! Argue, argue, and argue some more. Get the head service manager involved. If you've had any TSB's or Warranty work previously then I would argue they loosened something and didn't reinstall it back properly.

Ford said no freaking way is it going to be warranty, which pisses me off for various reasons, mostly in which they're blaming me for running over or something, because there's damage to the exhaust. Of course the exhaust its something, it hit the damn ground at 70 miles an hour :( looks like a pick a part exhaust system may be in my future unless I just claim insurance and look at new exhaust. I wonder if any aftermarket exhaust give any gains and don't drone like a bumble bee on the highway.

Damn, that sucks! Livernois has some pretty darn good complete exhaust systems available that sound nice. I know the stupid drone you speak of and hate and I agree it's annoying. The Livernois system doesn't sound like that nor does the Magna Flow system. I would check both of those out and listen to the sound bytes both companies/vendors provide along with some Youtube clips to see if they are something you'd consider. I do believe the Livernois system offers upgraded performance/better flow... Check them out!

The City of Atlanta bought my friend a new tire, rim, and I believe a new front end alignment too. Of course he had to pay out of pocket first, take pictures of said giant pot hole, and then take it up with the City. But he got paid!

Well this is just my reasoning so take it for what it's worth but... If the lower cladding and air dam on your front bumper is in tact and not severely scratched, broken, missing, or barely hanging on the vehicle then you had plenty enough ground clearance to pass over whatever it is you hit... Warranty should cover! Argue, argue, and argue some more. Get the head service manager involved. If you've had any TSB's or Warranty work previously then I would argue they loosened something and didn't reinstall it back properly.

Did you miss the part of where he discovered damage to the underside of the vehicle from something on the road?

Why would Ford cover driver induced damage? Ford will cover OEM FAILURE of units, not damage. I fight this with my customers with airplane parts and don't understand why we won't honor warranty when they spill coffee into/onto parts...

Did you miss the part of where he discovered damage to the underside of the vehicle from something on the road?

I must have skimmed over that. If you hit something like a cinder block then yeah, Ford isn't going to cover it. I'm still amazed at the damage to the exhaust system and the OP didn't say whether or not there is front fascia damage to the front lower bumper/grill/air dam area though. I would think that area would have taken a huge beating as well...

There was no damage to the air dam or valence, just a small smudge of grease and scratches on the cross member. Looks like from there it kicked up and bounced off the down pipes and must have caught perfectly on the exhaust flange... at 70+mph even a chunk of car parts can become a boat anchor. Whatever it was cost me $500 I didnt have at the moment, and insurance gave the check to the dealership, so no aftermarket pipes for me =/

Back