Simple question - MPG for 2011 FWD explorer... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Simple question - MPG for 2011 FWD explorer...

Fordusay

Reaction score
We have narrowed our choices down to either a 11 or 12 explorer or about the same year dodge Durango, yet don't know anybody personally who owns the new body style explorer..so what can we realistically expect to get out of a typical FWD explorer. We have found a couple of nice 2011 XLTs that we want to look at and are leaning that direction. Should we try and and find a 2012 instead? Or does it of course all come down to the bottom line - what one can be bought for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out Fuelly.com and search for the Explorer. The site has owners who keep track of mileage.

It seems to me like alot of people with 2011 models have had issues that may have been resolved with the newer models.

I have 2013 and love it.

we live in the mountains of Western NC. we have one straight away for 1 mile (typically you are gunning to pass a tourist) everything else is curvy. brake in, gas out. up, down, etc. for the two weeks we have had we are at 19.3. that might sound low, but it is actually great for up here. i am pleased. cant wait to get it on the interstate.

Check out Fuelly.com and search for the Explorer. The site has owners who keep track of mileage.

It seems to me like alot of people with 2011 models have had issues that may have been resolved with the newer models.

I have 2013 and love it.

Thanks for the website....I know it doesn't matter what yr in production a model is...somebody will always have a "problem"...what are the major issues hat were seen out of the 2011 models? I have two I'm looking at that have less than 30k miles on em...
Thx

I get about 16+ mpg around town and about 21+ on the highway at close to 80mph(I 75 going to FL). 2011 MY, no problems in 24k miles. These are based on the trip computer.

Drove to, and from St. Louis this weekend in the 2011 Limited AWD, from the Chicago area. On the way down, into the wind, at 72 MPH I got just over 19 MPG's. On the way home, with the wind, I got over 24 MPG's. Truck now has over 54,000 miles.

Thanks for the website....I know it doesn't matter what yr in production a model is...somebody will always have a "problem"...what are the major issues hat were seen out of the 2011 models? I have two I'm looking at that have less than 30k miles on em...
Thx

Search the site, but the main one I have seen is the steering issue.

My EX averages 19.9

Gas mileage will be the least of your problems, and it won't be very good! You really need to study the rest of this forum and read about all the problems, just so you know what you may be in for....I have a 2013, and won't ever buy another....best regards Plum

I don't have the stats, but I think that there is a major drop in MPG going from the 50's-60's-70's and 80's. Down here in the south the speed limits are 70, but everyone goes just about 80 on the hiways. These mpg figures are way better than my '97 Expedition where I get about 16mpg on the same trips.

I just got my 2013 and am starting to really like it. It had 5K miles when I got it, but was sold as new. (read: great discounts!!)

Hand calculated first tank. Mostly around town, two runs on the freeway, 20.9MPG.

I came from a 13MPG Tundra 5.7 so I like a 2 in front. I miss the HP though. I know this is a Ford site and I'm a Ford owner now, but the Tundra for a truck is silly quick. Hard to give that up.

I don't have the stats, but I think that there is a major drop in MPG going from the 50's-60's-70's and 80's. Down here in the south the speed limits are 70, but everyone goes just about 80 on the hiways. These mpg figures are way better than my '97 Expedition where I get about 16mpg on the same trips.

This is true on any vehicle...you're turning more rpms which = using more fuel...
the trick is sometimes finding the place in between gears, or right after the last shift change that still has some torque, but is not red -lining the tach so you can achieve maximum MPG....

thanks for the posts -- we have done some number crunching and are going to move toward looking at the 2013 ones...with the various rebates, discounts and such...we think we can get a bare XLT leather in the +/- $32k range...that versus a $27k used 2011 identically equipped with less than 30k miles--- the $5k difference is not enough of a difference to sway us to buy a 2yr older vehicle that was the first yr in production... (today's rates - $70/$80 month)

I think you are making the right choice in going with a 2013. We really like ours (a link to our thread), and would buy another without hesitation.

As for MPG, we are on fuelly and you can see what we are averaging in my signature. The MPG's drop very fast going from 65 to 70 and higher. For all of their attempts at smoothing the car out, it still is a large vehicle and has to move a lot of air out of its way going down the road :)

^ I agree with him! :thumbsup:

I got my XLT w/o leather, but with MFT, auto lift gate, back up system for $29K. That was the demo with 5K when I got it. Leather in Las Vegas is no fun. I also had them throw in the two way remote start in the 29K. :D

I have averaged 18.5 with mine, mostly around town with some short towing included.

I recently pulled my boat to Maine and did 15.8 up and 16.4 coming home, 65 to 80 at times. Not too bad considering i had 2500 lbs behind me!

My Wife is regularly seeing 22.3-22.7 mixed driving, and 26+ highway on our long trips. She's really easy on the gas, which is good. Needless to say we are thrilled. Started using Mobil1 synthetic after first 5k miles, and then installed a K&N Drop in filter.

Back