• Register Today It's free!

skid paltes

brodie hynd

Reaction score
City, State
roswell georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer xlt
hey i just wnated to know what the cheapest skidplates i cna buy. I also wan to know what i really need to protect from the mud. I not really worried about rock thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's just mud, then just clean off well afterwards and you'll be fine. The stock skidplates don't help much against mud, and it'll find it's way up in there anyway. Just get a hose afterwards and spend some time and you'll be fine.

Just watch your power steering cooler and A/C condenser which can hang low in front of the engine. If they get caked too much they could cause those systems to run hot.

first off..... check if you perhaps have factory skids installed...... than make sure you know what needs to be protected..... if you just wantt the skids for the front and you have older style X then see if can have some shop fab one for you...... it's not that easy with that diff in there...... you'll need some fancy brackets...... newer X should be able to use Ranger skids that are for sale through various outfits on the net...... first see what you've got and then figure what you need...... putting skids just for looks does not sound good.

Duff claims to have prerunner bumpers for 91-94 Explorers plus skid plates for newer ones....... follow this link: James Duff to learn more....

later,

I have a 96 i want a skid plate for the front between the bumper and the front suspention any sugestions thanks

I had a sheet of Dimondplate cut that will mount to the end of the frame rails and to the front cross member... it is long enough that it will also cover up part of the bottom of the front diffy... I am going to be installing it this weekend and if all goes well I will be taking pics of the whole install and also the size of the plate. I will post some pics on Sun or Mon. The metal only cost $68 to have cut.

well like I said, if you're not willing to do the work yourself check this link:

James Duff Products

it works for Explorer too.....

later,

do ford dealers sell skid plates

they do, but it's cheaper to get them from Torrie, fordpartsnetwork.com.

I think the Ford front skid plate lists around $165 or so if memory serves.... it might be good enough for mud however I question its durability (I recently witnessed Aquaman put a nasty dent/gash in his; then again that was on rocks :) ) If you are willing to hassle making your own you will have minimal $$ invested and you will be able to ensure the quality you desire. Good luck.

Back