• Register Today It's free!

Slight knocking in brake pedal

ponkotsu

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Lincoln Aviator
Sometimes I get a slight knock in the pedal when applying the brake. Its similar to ABS activation, but definately not. I've got all new rotors and pads, so I'm sure that's not it.

I know I have a rather loose upper ball joint, maybe that's it? Wheel bearing feel solid. Anyone have any thoughts?

Never discount that a rotor was bad out of the box. I did my brother's brakes a year ago and he got brake pedal feedback shortly after. One of the brand new rotors had a high spot due to poor manufacturing. We brough it back to the store and got a replacement. I would have never thought it but it happened. Check the rotors for uneven wear.

Rotors look good. No high spots and wearing in great. Caliper bolts are tight. I used new bolts, locktite and proper torque when I assembled. You are right about those bolts though, you MUST use locktite and preferably new bolts if they are even a little questionable.

The left upper ball joint is crap, so I'm thinking that is a high probability. Also, I'm starting to suspect it could also be the left front wheel hub.

Back