Snapped Second shift tube in a year - what's causing it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snapped Second shift tube in a year - what's causing it?

sattech2000

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Stevensville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
A year ago my shifter was really sloppy, bought a new dorman shift tube kit and installed it. I discovered the original shift tube was still good just the bushings had slid/worn out. I threw the original tube on the shelf just in case since it was still good.

A couple of months later the doorman shift tube snapped in half on me. I installed my original shift tube with the new bushings and all was good...untill today. The original tube just snapped again on me. I gressed everything well each time I assembled it.

I'm wondering if my shift cable might be binding/ going bad as the actual cause of this issue or is there something else I should look at?

It's a 99 explorer ohv with 290k miles that gets abused daily delivering the mail. Still on my original tranny and lower end. (By FAR The most dependable vehicle I've ever owned!)

Anyone else have personal knowledge/experience with this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pop the cable end off the transmission and see if it shifts effortlessly like no one is home. Alot of the time the shifter / range sensor binds up due to rust in between and makes it hard to shift.

agreed
Check the shifter arm at the transmission

Then, with the cable disconnected from the transmission see how smoothly the column shifter moves.
If there is still binding its in the cable

Sounds like a great plan, thanks guys!
Got the replacement shift tube in yesterday so I'm back in businesses.

I'm really thinking due to the age, mileage, and reliability needed I'm going to just plan on replacing the cable but while I'm at it I'll check the old/versus new cable and pay super close attention to the shift rod going into tranny for binding to try and identify what the cause is.

Sounds like a great plan, thanks guys!
Got the replacement shift tube in yesterday so I'm back in businesses.

I'm really thinking due to the age, mileage, and reliability needed I'm going to just plan on replacing the cable but while I'm at it I'll check the old/versus new cable and pay super close attention to the shift rod going into tranny for binding to try and identify what the cause is.
Shift Cables bind and snap, especially in the salt belt. The business end is exposed to all the elements. I learned the hard way on my grand marquis :lol:.

Great point! And to be honest I will also be VERY shocked if I DONT find the range sensor/shift shaft also rusted all to heck/grimend up as boomin mentioned above. None of that has ever been touched.

Back