• Register Today It's free!

Snorkel On!!

Bruce-L

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I used a Toyota Tacoma snorkel, heat gun for reshaping, an aluminum inlet bell from intenseperformance.com in the air filter housing, some wire reinforced rubber hose, a little aluminum intake tubing, a bunch of black silicone, and blocked off the stock inlet.
115_1521-a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is sharp. How about pics inside of hood?

yea, do you have any pictures from the instalation

:thumbsup: That is a nice looking snorkel... finally someone with balls to spend money to cut something up without assurance that it will ever work...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: looks good I like it

-Drew

Dre said:
:thumbsup: That is a nice looking snorkel... finally someone with balls to spend money to cut something up without assurance that it will ever work...

X2

Can't wait to see the pics under the hood, and maybe a closer shot of the fender fitment and the like.

Awesome job man :thumbsup:

TTIWWOMP (this thread is worthless without more pics) ;)

Looks really good. And unlike most people, you were able to retain the stock antenna location. :thumbsup:

In a few days I'll post some more pictures, My weekend is booked. I'm hoping to get to Prairie City next week to test it out in the mud. The hardest part of this job was putting a 3 1/2 inch hole up to the fender and going for it. Thanks for the compliments.
Bruce-L

when do you plan on going i might be there next sunday.

love the modifications. Where did you get your TJM bullbar from? ive been trying to get one and i cant find it anywhere. Love your truck!

I purchased the bumper through TJM's American distributor. It's a T-13 steel bumper for the 93-96 Ford Ranger. It was on sale as a factory blemished item. I spent two weeks looking it over and never found a defect.

Thats one of the prettiest snorkle installs yet!

thats a sharp looking snorkle...wating on more pics...

I sent a picture to ARB and they asked me to send more pictures and a description of the install. Who knows, maybe ARB will finally pick this up and run with it. I'll try to have more pic's posted by Saturday.

it would be great if you could do this. im from australia and have been trying to get arb to get me everything for my explorer.
I would really appreciate it when you post further details.
thanks mate

The pics don't work. :(

Sorry this is post install but I was racing against the weather to get this on and didn't have time to take pictures.

side-view.jpg

front-view.jpg

rear-view.jpg

door-clearance.jpg

Door clearance is only about 1/8 of an inch. This is due to the mounting position I chose and because I didn't have a step drill or 5/8 bit for the mounting boltholes which would have given more wiggle room. Also the hole in the fender for the snorkel outlet could have been moved straight up about 1/4 of an inch.

bracket-2.jpg

You'll find that the snorkel support bracket is not tall enough and you'll need to make one that's about 1 1/4" taller that the Safari bracket. I made mine from a piece of 1/8-inch thick material. You'll need to use a break or a vise to put about a 30-degree bend in the bracket.

rivet.jpg

The snorkel's support bracket is attached to the window pillar. I used a box knife to cut through the seals and later closed the cut with silicone. I wish that I'd had an angle head drill when drilling the pillar for the bracket. My 1/2 inch electric drill didn't fit well in the space available, which forced me to drill at an angle. This created a misalignment of about an 1/8 of an inch. When the bracket was pop riveted to the pillar I found that I had to enlarge the boltholes for the snorkel to compensate for this. This wouldn't have been a big deal if I'd had an electric dremel handy or a way to drill out the rivets and take the bracket to the workbench.

contour-fill.jpg

Here's where I filled a contour with silicone. I spent a couple hours working the snorkel over with a heat gun and some of the Toyota curves couldn't be removed. In one spot on the back side I had to make a stand off to fit over the mounting bolt in order to fill a 5/8 inch gap between the snorkel and the fender.

snorkel-plan.jpg

All the ductwork is tucked in the fender and out of site. Inside the fender there's a box-like structure spot-welded to the inner fender wall. I had to cut a triangle shaped piece of this out to accommodate the 3 1/2 inch O.D. ducting and the rubber elbow at the snorkel outlet. The piece I cut measured approximately 2 inches at the base and was seven to 8 inches long. If you decide to do this the position will become obvious during the install.

inlet_bell.jpg

inlet-view.jpg

After drilling a 4 inch hole in the inner fender and lining with some rubber trim material (edging of some sort I had laying around) I cut a hole in the end of the air filter housing big enough to accommodate the 3 inch inlet bell and drilled, bolted and siliconed it in place.

old-inlet.jpg

the lip on the factory inlet was ground flat and I made a sheet metal disk that was used to seal the opening along with four number 8 screws and more silicone.

I hope that either ARB or the guy from Florida will make a nice clean kit for us so that others can simply drill and bolt, not require a ton of silicone to fill gaps and everything will fit like it's OEM.

Sunday I went to Prairie City and drove through a 100+ foot long mud pit with water above the headlights and the engine never faltered. See you at the deep end of the pool!!

How does a snorkel affect mpg? or does it at all??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

freakin eh, thats nice. i hope arb makes something like that.

Back