Snorkel On!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snorkel On!!

So far I haven't noticed any change in mileage. It's as bad as ever. HAHA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great, and great write-up. :thumbsup:

Any idea if you'll have problems passing smog check, or are you in a no check area?

Thanks for the writeup and pics. That looks like a great install. Hopefully ARB will agree.

I have to get it smogged every two years for registration. The snorkel won't be a problem because the only thing it did was move the inlet position. All of my smog equipment and factory filter housing are still in place.

Now that I've survived deep water there's a dusty pony express trail along Hwy 50 I want to drive again. Last year two hours on this trail completely clogged a brand new filter with dust.

The deep end is calling you....

One more question, did the aluminum inlet bell come with the kit? I've been planning on building my own snorkel for quite some time and need it looks like it would be easiest to just use one of those.

I bought the inlet bell from from (dead link) It took two or three days longer than estimated for the part to arrive and nobody from the company answered my email when I asked where the part was. I got the aluminum tubing from these guys(dead link)They were very friendly and responsive. These links don't seem to be working for me so you may have to copy and paste them.
After wiping out two air filters while mudding I'm very happy to have this on the 'Sploder. Good luck with your snorkel.

"This is standard aluminum tubing for air intake systems. 1/16th inch wall thickness. Cannot be used for exhaust." Why is that???? Looks the same to me, and it's the same size as exhaust tubing. Oh well, I'll just try to get some from Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone or something like that if I use that setup. I'll probably just build something instead of ordering that bell (just get some 3" tube and weld it to a flange to bolt it to the intake box) Thanks for the help and all the pics. I can get started on mine as soon as this SAS is done. :)

Sick!! I love it.

Bruce-L said:
I have to get it smogged every two years for registration. The snorkel won't be a problem because the only thing it did was move the inlet position. All of my smog equipment and factory filter housing are still in place.

Now that I've survived deep water there's a dusty pony express trail along Hwy 50 I want to drive again. Last year two hours on this trail completely clogged a brand new filter with dust.

The deep end is calling you....
what trail are you talking about?

Hey BMX',
I have no idea what's up with the "not for exhaust thing." Maybe the tubing is too thin. I only know it worked perfectly for what I needed. I don't have any welding tools so for the time being I'm at the mercy of those who supply ready made parts. Good luck with the SAS.

Lifeguard,
Dig up a copy of Backcountry Adventures Northern California, and you'll find the trail on page 342. It's an 8 mile segment of the pony express route off of Icehouse Road. Not technically challenging but when I drove it, most of the trail had this layer of baking flour fine dust about 6 inches thick and it wiped out my air filter. The snorkel should put me above that problem as well as water.

Looks good :thumbsup: How much did the job run ya?

Very nicely done :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You have definitely put in some serious fab time and effort to get a nice clean install. Does/can the inlet be turned to face the rear of the vehicle? I ask because I just watch fourwheelers 4x4 event (comcast on demand) and they had a few vehicles with snorkles going through deep mud bogs. The mud was flying a good foot over the roof of the vehicle and they turned the air inlet rearward to prevent any crap from being flung in...

Thanks. The inlet can be rotated to any position by loosening the clamp that holds it in place. There's also a couple inches of vertical play. I have it near the top.

If everyone who views this thread would send an email to ARB they would take making snorkels and other parts for us seriously. Don't leave it up to one or two people and then wonder why we have no accessories. Want a snorkel, cool bumper, front air locker? Click the link and send an email telling ARB that you want cool toys for your Explorer. 600, 700, 800 emails to ARB would be awesome. Come on...I double dog dare you to do it!!!

Snorkle looks really good, nice work!

Happy Birthday too!
party-smiley-050.gif

good job on the install. The pics are great. Do you have any pics of it in action?

This was kind of an expensive project:
Toyota tacoma snorkel $300
2 hole saws $16
Silicone $12
Inlet bell $20
Aluminum tubing $15
Rubber elbow $20
2 extra metric studs $1.49
Misc. hardware $5.00
Flexible air duct $20
heat gun $30
Driving away from 4 foot deep Prairie City tank trap $5.
Not having having to tell my wife I need a new engine...PRICELESS!!!!

If everyone who views this thread would send an email to ARB they would take making snorkels and other parts for us seriously. Don't leave it up to one or two people and then wonder why we have no accessories. Want a snorkel, cool bumper, front air locker? Click the link and send an email telling ARB that you want the same cool toys for your Explorer that jeeps, ladndrovers and toyotas get.] or] 600, 700, 800 emails to ARB would be awesome. Come on...I triple dog dare you to do it!!!

so any response from arb? im thinking about doing the same conversion as you, bit of a long job tho

i got a response from them

Thanks for your email.

Unfortunately at this time Safari does not yet have a snorkel for the Explorer. As ARB does not own Safari it is best that all requests be forwarded directly to them.

Best Regards,

Tim Lund
Tech Supervisor
Engineering Assistant
Air Locker, Inc.
425-264-1391
720 SW 34th St.
Renton, WA 98055

Please note that we have moved. Our new address is:
720 SW 34th St, Renton, WA 98055-4814.

Our new fax and phone numbers are:
phone (425) 264.1391 fax (425) 264.1392

i dont think they care.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been there before with their front winch bumper... for some strange reason they believe that all SUV's need that thing but not the Explorer...

oh well... back to the garage - got to fab my own then.
:(

Back