• Register Today It's free!

Snorkel pre install question

marcwithaC

Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
So I don't have the snorkel, but I'm getting it ready for when I do get a snorkel. however I have a question. So i took out the entire air intake system. everything from the intake itself up to the throttle body (not the throttle body itself). However there is a valve that is in the middle of the intake tube leading to the intake box and i have no idea what it is there for. it goes to a rather large tube that runs to the engine block. so my question is, for one, what the heck is it? and two, do i need it and if not how should i block it off so no water dirt ect gets in. here are some pics of what i am talking about.

this is the entire peice with the valve in the middle
wholething.JPG

close up of the valve, its like a butterfly valve, little tube at top is connected to it (where does that tube go to anyway?)
closeup.JPG

this is where the big tube that connects to it ends up at. (the silver thing on block, tube is to the right of it)
goesto.JPG

i asked a friend of mine with an X (Jman) who installed his snorkel but he said he didnt have this on his and we have the same year Xs so im confused. thx in advance to everyone :) guess ill go tear something else apart now, haha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a warm-up valve. Some might have another name for it. It allows warm air, from arround the exhaust manifold, into the intake while the engine is cold. Yours looks like it is vacuum operated (the small hose). It is not needed for the engine to run, BUT if your smog laws are anything like the ones here in California :thumbdwn: you wont pass the visual inspection without it.

I live in illinois, we dont test cars after 1996 so im safe. I figured it was vacuum operated (was kinda a guess but made sense). so should i try and re-route it, or just somehow block it off (dont think it would be that easy)or what? the only prob i might have would be re-installing the valve. im sure i could make it work but idk, any opinion? what would you do if it was ur car? and also where would that little tube connect to if i do reinstall it somehow. i only ask because when i took it off i didnt see that hose until after it was out so i have no idea where it came from, haha.

I would ditch it if I was going to put a snorkel on. With that opening at the bottom of the intake any water could get in there, defeating the purpose of the snorkel. I would guess that vacuum line should go to a solenoid/valve with another vacuum line on it. I'm sure someone on here has more specific info.

the stock intake tube before the box (the piece in question) needs to be tossed for the snorkle to be of any use. also the hole where that goes into the airbox needs to be sealed, as should the drain holes that are in the bottom of the box

i put a peice of scrap sheet metal in the opening to the box and siliconed it in
IMG_3120.jpg

from this thread:
First Gen Snorkel Install (w/ pics)

SuRrEaLNJ i did read your thread, very nice by the way. and i know the tube itself needs to be ditched, but if needed i could just move the valve to where the intake was (where ur patch is), seal it up and reconnnect everything, if that makes sense. so the question now is, how to plug up the exhaust part of it. any ideas, should i just leave it open, or get some metal and jb weld it on or...? only thing i think would be wrong with leaving it open would be water possibly getting into the engine itself and hydrolocking it which would ruin my day completly.

SuRrEaLNJ just looking at your picture again, looks to me like where your pvc/ducting is going i had a bunch of crap right there (wires mostly). did you move anything or how did you get it to fit there? off subject but just happened to notice.

well thanks guys, helps a lot, now i just got to figure the rest out, i should probably order the snorkel now, haha.

just leave it open. That hole doesn't go into the exahust it just pulls warm air from the area arround the manifold. Dose that make sense?

yeah i think so... so the silver peice is just there to collect air, it isnt actually open to the exhaust? is that right?

I dont even have the heat sheild (silver thing) on the manifold on my truck anymore. thats just a peice of sheet metal to gather the warm air around manifold.

Haha, alrighty then. guess mine will be gone soon too, well i'll just take the hose off.

Back