• Register Today It's free!

Snow chains SAE Class S?

kentpublic

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have a 1992 Explorer XLT 4WD with stock wheels/tires. After much research, I've decided to buy 2 pairs of Olympia Sprint tire chains from Chainstop.com so I can take my kids up unplowed roads for some winter adventuring and sledding in the Lake Tahoe area. My question is, does my Explorer require SAE Class S tire chains?

From Wikipedia:
SAE Class S = Regular (non-reinforced) passenger tire traction devices for vehicles with restricted wheel well clearance.

I'm guessing the answer to my question is "no."

While I'm no expert (I'm in the Desert).. From my discussions with a friend of mine (in Washington State) when he got chains for his BMW the explorer has tons of clearance around the tires.

Vehicles with struts seem to be the ones that don't have much clearance between the tire and the strut..

Your first gen has nothing "near" the tires, front or rear, so you don't need low clearance chains/cables.

~Mark

Having a bit of winter experience, I prefer the S-class diamond style chains. They're ABS rated, not that it matters. I just like them because they have a small surface area and really bite into ice. Plus, there's ALWAYS chain on the ground under your tire and since the chain goes in different directions, you have more control from sliding side-to-side.

Have a look at this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Pictures/IMG_20140203_153852.jpg

Those tires are almost bald, cheap Chinese ones that were purchased 6 years ago from Les Schwab. With only the limited slip and chains, I had total control climbing a hill in 2WD pushing through several inches of snow.

Granted, I'd prefer a set with v-bars but I got that set for $20 with minor rust. Get a set like that, put them on the front and with some halfway decent M+S tires in 4x4, you'll go anywhere as long as you don't high-center. I wouldn't worry about clearance with a set of chains like that.

Thank you, Maniak and natenkiki2004 for your input.

Back