So, What's Your Favorite-Latest Mod? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So, What's Your Favorite-Latest Mod?

fans have a nice look too. sweet mod. necessary for your rig? u been towing or anything. just curious why the mod.

I feel the best way to extend a transmissions life is to control temps. To me it is cheap insurance.

When driving off road the speeds are not enough to drive air through the cooler well, so adding a fan is good. And, heck, 2 are better than one right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The camera mounted to the fuel tank skid plate so I can see where my front wheels are at times.

HPIM1361.jpg

HPIM1365.jpg

call me a copycat but this will be today's 3rd project if I can get RA bushings and trans mount replaced. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The camera mounted to the fuel tank skid plate so I can see where my front wheels are at times.

HPIM1365.jpg

I like this idea too, BUT, My gas tank skid plate is really banged up (not just the bottom). I'd be afraid of whacking that camera there.

I am working on installing a camera on the X too, but its for when I don't have a passenger. I'm going to install it up high so I can see over the hood on the assents and see the edge of the cliff when its on my right. :)

~Mark

call me a copycat but this will be today's 3rd project if I can get RA bushings and trans mount replaced. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

I like this idea too, BUT, My gas tank skid plate is really banged up (not just the bottom). I'd be afraid of whacking that camera there.

I am working on installing a camera on the X too, but its for when I don't have a passenger. I'm going to install it up high so I can see over the hood on the assents and see the edge of the cliff when its on my right. :)

~Mark

Hear that Mark, it is above the skid plate, so the changes of me hitting something with it is slim, just had to take the chance with it there, it was the best place I found to mount it to see the front wheels, and the camera itself is cheap.

My truck is exceptionally dirty right now after driving on dirt roads after a rain storm, and by golly that area is still pretty clean. It has 2 drop-run looking spots but that is it./hijack

that is really cool. if i wheeled more these days i would seriously consider that mod. i noticed thats an advance auto parts special. peak camera system? how does it function because i've heard some complaints from customers on its range and clarity. obviously range doesnt concern you as much tho

~Mark

But if you have a camera there, you'll see the rock you're about to hit and you can avoid it. :)

My 3 favorite mods (and some of the simplest too):

1) ABS defeat switch...for offroad only. Short stops in loose dirt or sand can be scary and are nearly impossible with ABS on.

2) Interior trunk/hatch handle...for when I sleep in the back.

3) Replaced my stock front bumpstops with rear Ranger bumpstops, and boxed in the front of opened side of the mount...I never bottom out as hard anymore.

that is really cool. if i wheeled more these days i would seriously consider that mod. i noticed thats an advance auto parts special. peak camera system? how does it function because i've heard some complaints from customers on its range and clarity. obviously range doesnt concern you as much tho

This one came from Autozone, proably the same one at Advance Auto. Yes, range is short, and clarity is not HD quialty, but it functions for what I am using it for, the main drawback I have with it is that on light road, such as trails, sunlight will reflect and blurr the image. But in wooded areas and without bright direct sunlight, it works fine for what is needed, just the location for the front wheels, just in case. I have a toggle switch to cut off the display in an instant, that way if I have a spotter, I can cut off the image quickly.

Dual transfercase (extra super slow for crawling rocks) :D

7029590034_medium.jpg

awesome. keep 'em comin. pics would help! i think what im getting really interested in is free, cheap, easy, clean mods. the ashtray switchboard is a perfect example. something unique. how do we add pics (its been so long since i've been on the forum and im comin back in the swing of things.) i would like to add some of my mods!

how do we add pics

You have to upload them to a site like photobucket and link them. If it's online and you have the address you can link to it and it will show up hear.
I like photobucket because it's easy to upload and they have the link for you to copy and paste.

what is the oil pressure mod? i have never herd of it b4 i read this thread

fav mod is a 2nd gen rear end swap and gears!!!
28jxzx1.jpg

vd0lxl.jpg

or my hitch i made,i have a 3"body lift and its installed inside the frame so it sits flush under the bumper,no 3"hang down gap.pipes still need to be moved up tho
2011-06-27175553.jpg

or my hitch i made,i have a 3"body lift and its installed inside the frame so it sits flush under the bumper,no 3"hang down gap.pipes still need to be moved up tho
2011-06-27175553.jpg

Gonna do this but without a body lift, so the hitch will poke through the bumper, so I'll have nothing hanging below the rear bumper at all.

Gonna do this but without a body lift, so the hitch will poke through the bumper, so I'll have nothing hanging below the rear bumper at all.

Yea i got plenty of height so that's not a big worry for me.i just didn't want it hanging down where the pipes are in that pic.do you have a plate there,you going to move it somewhere else?you can search "3" body lift hitch"for my thread,might give you some help/ideas ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By plate, do you mean the rearmost crossmember that wraps around the spare? My plan is to chop part of that off and run rectangular tubing across the back and put a receiver off of that sticking through the bumper. And build a spare tire carrier off of the rectangular tube. I'll check out your thread.

Back