soa w/o front lift (just for a while) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

soa w/o front lift (just for a while)

akcrogers

Reaction score
City, State
Fairbanks, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer 4WD 4DR XL
Hey guys,
So I'm finally getting ready to add another 5.5ish inches of lift. I haven't quite decided on the front, a buddy is taking a lift off his ranger, so I may just jump on that, but its still up in the air.

However, I'm sure I'll do the SOA in the rear. Asside from a massive rake caused by a 5 inch difference in front to back height, is there anything wrong with doing the SOA now, while I'm waiting on the front lift?

I just figure I've got the time avaliable now to do the SOA, and by the time I get that done I'll probably have aquired the front lift.

I just want to make sure there is no major mechanical problem with driving it like that...

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You won't have any light from your headlights at night, they can only adjust for about a 2" rake. And you'll also have problems seeing out the front of the truck anyways. Oh, and forget using your rearview mirror.

I could see a problem with the engine oil and ATF not sitting right in their pans. Also, your gas gauge isn't gonna work right.

In short, I wouldn't have it like that for more than a day or 2.

its not gonna handle too great either. Don't know about its level of safety but talk about weight transfer during braking. I would hold off and do it all at once.

good points... I don't think I would need to drive it in between, but it is hard to know.
Luckily thanks to the AK summers I don't have to worry about the lights not working....

so maybe I'll just do it to try out the process and see how it looks and then take it off again until I get the front lift or something.

I WILL post pictures if I do lift the back first....

Thanks guys

I have some pics of mine like that somewhere, if I can find them I will post them

guess it isn't as bad as I remember it. The springs where sagging a bit that is before I had an AAL, this is with 2" body and TT up front.

Attachments

• with_soa.jpg
    with_soa.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 295

heh, yeah, that doesn't look half bad actually, just a mean rake :p

Looks like a lot of stock rangers.

It looked a bit worse in person. Also driving it feels funny.

Chris can't you go ahead and get the perches set up and everything for SOA but keep the springs under until front is ready??

I seems to remember another member here in Anchorage is going to be doing this. I'll ask him exactly what the shop is doing for him on the rear.

I wouldn't do it man. The leafs are supposed to sit flat on top of the perches. If the front is down stock, the front leaf brackets would (obviously) be a lot lower than the rear ones. I dont think you would be able to get enough solid contact on the spring perches, and it'll probly be a bithch to get the u bolts lined up and tightened. It will also be pretty messed up on the road...I wouldn't want to go on the freeway like that...

There was a period of time when I was waiting for my rear bracketry but already had the front completed. So that means it was 5.5 in the front and 0 in the back. It was pretty messed up on the road too...Don't want to drive it very far uncomplete like that ya know? Just wait till you get everything to do any of it. It only takes a few hours to do the rear end anyways.

Originally posted by AlaskanJack
Chris can't you go ahead and get the perches set up and everything for SOA but keep the springs under until front is ready??

I seems to remember another member here in Anchorage is going to be doing this. I'll ask him exactly what the shop is doing for him on the rear.

Kurt from 5 Star was going to completly set it up and weld the perches at the proper angle. After that he was going to put the add-a-leaf back on and put the spring back in place under axle. So when I get the front lifted, all I have to do is remove add-a-leaf and flip the leaf pack bolt over and bolt it on top oof the axle. I can take it to him later and he would torch off the old spring under perches.

It won't be a problem setting the rear up before the front. I did. Perches will lay flat on the springs. driveshaft will have the right angle... it just all depends onwho does it. all you have to do is jack the front up to get the truck level to make all your measurements.

The guy setting up the rear SOA has installed SEVERAL 8.8 on many J**pers in the area. That is how I discovered him. My neighbor invited me to one of their club meetings. He will do the whole set-up and put back to normal after set-up so I can drive it until I get the front lift. All for only $150. That's half the price other shops will charge!!

Its not what you know...it's who you know!

The superlift kit is only $109 plus shipping and you 'don't need' to weld it, although it seems like everyone recomends tacking it in...
Plus it comes with the swaybar extender, and relocates the shocks to a pretty good place....

Let me know how it goes though, if it works out well I could just drive down there and get it done.

Glad we are finally getting some build AK Xs. Have to meet up sometime.

Late

akcrogers

The shipping plus the cost of welding the kit would be more than having it localy manufactured. Also, looking at the set-up installed, I like the idea of having a welded perch and the bottom perch removed entirely. I will have some shock mounts welded to the rear side of the axle at the same time the SOA is done.

As far as getting together...AlaskanJack was talking about everyone on the board up here doing a Knik Glacier run. Get with him about details. I'm hoping to get all of my projects finished by then.

Oh heck Chris(NAK4AF) not Chris(akcrogers), that's confusing. I didn't realize he was going to fab up the stuff for the SOA. That's not bad then. I was thinking Kurt(not me), but Kurt from 5 star, was chargin you 150 just for the labor to do the SOA and you were going to provide the hardware for it.

I'd say let Kurt(not me) do it. What are you going to do for extending your brake lines? Will Kurt take care of that? Check out pro comp on the brake line for the rear or go by a Skyjacker. The Braided line by Skyjacker will run around 50 at Northern 4x4. You can relocate the brake line mount or go get someone locally to make an extension to your rear brake line.

ackrogers I thought your Ex was lifted. I know its been a while since I saw the photos of your Ex. Post a pic again.

PHP:
you 'don't need' to weld it

True but my Superlift SOA isn't welded and I am getting some axle wrap with it. I would reccomend at least a tack. I will be getting mine tacked soon.

The $150 from Kurt @ 5 Star was including parts. I will however have to buy the shock mounts and have him oweld them when he does teh SOA.

I was planning on getting extended brake lines front and rear. Not sure which brand, but deffinatly braided. I had some Pro-Comp on my old J**p and liked them quite well. I'll research that later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are welding your rear perches, I wouldn't do any welding until the truck is setup exactly like you want it. It would be nearly impossible to "pre-set" the proper pinion angle without eveything else being done first. This is the great advantage of bolting the perches on first. It allows everything to be installed and settle a little bit before the permanant angle is set.

Back