Solved - SOHC V6 Timing Chain Related PNs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved SOHC V6 Timing Chain Related PNs

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

2000StreetRod

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
Listed below are Ford part numbers for SOHC V6 timing chain related components. I try to keep this list current. Two possible discount online Ford OEM suppliers are tousleyfordparts.com and tascaparts.com

Jackshaft/primary timing chain kit 2U3Z6D256CA includes:
Crankshaft bolt harmonic balancer E7RY6A340B
Tensioner-engine jackshaft chain YL2Z6L266AA
Gasket-cylinder/timing front cover F77Z6020AB superseded by 1L2Z6020AA
Sprocket/gear-engine jackshaft/intermediate 2U3Z6M264AA
Guide-engine jackshaft chain 2L2Z6K297AA
Bolt-jackshaft sprocket bolt F77Z6M264BA superseded by 2L2Z6279AA (included when 2U3Z6M264AA is purchased)
Sprocket/gear-crankshaft two wheel drive 2L2Z6306BA
Chain-engine jackshaft F77Z6268AB
Bolt-right camshaft sprocket F77Z-6279-AD
Bolt-left camshaft sprocket F77Z-6279-CB

Left/front timing chain cassette assembly 7U3Z6A257A thru 2006, 7L2Z-6M289-A for 2007 thru 2010 includes:
Timing chain
Guide assembly YL2Z6M273AA superseded by 7U3Z6A257A
Bolt-guide assembly upper mount
Sprocket/gear-camshaft
Sprocket/gear-jackshaft front

Right/rear timing chain cassette assembly 4L2Z6M290AA includes:
Timing chain
Guide assembly
Sprocket/gear-camshaft
Sprocket/gear-jackshaft rear

00M12 intake manifold kit YL2Z9E473AA includes:
Lower intake manifold gasket set of six YL2Z9461AA
Upper intake manifold gasket set of two YL2Z9E436AA
Left timing chain tensioner 7U3Z6K254B
Tensioner metal O ring XU2Z6M252AA
Oil restrictor
Galley plug

Right timing chain tensioner 7U3Z6K254A supersedes XU3Z6K254BA

Right timing chain guide assembly upper positioning bolt F77Z6U000BA

Jackshaft rear sprocket retaining bolt W703167S430

Cover assy/rear of block jackshaft opening plug F77Z6026AB

Left cassette assembly lower mounting bolt W500100S300

Jackshaft chain guide mounting bolt W500100S300

Sprocket/gear-crankshaft inner four wheel drive F77Z6306BE

Sprocket/gear - crankshaft outer four wheel drive 2L2Z6306AA

Balance shaft chain guide F77Z6K297BC

Balance shaft chain tensioner 1L2Z6L266AA

Balance shaft chain F77Z6268BC

Balance shaft assembly 1L2Z6A311AA

Seal-front timing cover E6TZ6700A was superseded by 5H2Z6700AA

Seal-rear main crankshaft F5TZ6701A

Gasket set-valve cover F77Z6584AE

Gasket-lower oil pan 4L2Z6710AA year 2000+ F77Z6710BA year 1997-1999

Gasket-upper oil pan/reinforcement section F77Z6710AA

Block cradle retaining bolt seal F77Z-6734-AB (Listed as engine oil drain plug gasket)

Left camshaft F7TZ6250AEE was superseded by 7L2Z6250D

Right camshaft F77Z6250AE

Exhaust manifold outlet bolts (M12-1.75X54.5 H) N811747S2

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have some more Ford part numbers.
Bolt-right timing chain guide lower position 4L2Z6U001AA
Chain-balance shaft F77Z6268BC
Gasket-valve cover F77Z6584AE (left & right 97-00) (right 01-03)
Gasket-valve cover F77Z6584BA (left 01-03)
other parts
Seal-rear main crankshaft F5TZ6701A or FEL-PRO BS40619 (seal w/repair sleeve)

I looked on tousley for the lower right tensioner. The part number you listed pulls up if I look just for that part#. If I look under my vehicle (98 explorer) no number comes up. Do you know if the number you list will work for my year?

works for all 4.0L SOHC V6

I looked on tousley for the lower right tensioner. The part number you listed pulls up if I look just for that part#. If I look under my vehicle (98 explorer) no number comes up. Do you know if the number you list will work for my year?

PN 7U3Z6K254A is the correct right hydraulic/spring tensioner for all Ford 4.0L SOHC V6 engines.

Thanks Dale!

hey guys uve got the part no. for the crankshaft bolt harmonic balancer, but i was wondering if anyone knows the size and thread type???

snip...

Right timing chain tensioner 7U3Z6K254A supersedes XU3Z6K254BA

snip...

So I am shopping to replace this tensioner (I have an oil leak and I just wanted to replace the crush washer, but I figured if I have it out I might as well replace it)

I have found both part numbers for sale, I understand the 7U____is "newer" than the XU____ is there any improvement in the newer one?

It is about 20$ less expensive to get the XU____ tensioner and wanted to know if there was any reason not to get the less expensive one.

Thanks for the help!

-Chris

new old stock?

. . . I have found both part numbers for sale, I understand the 7U____is "newer" than the XU____ is there any improvement in the newer one?

It is about 20$ less expensive to get the XU____ tensioner and wanted to know if there was any reason not to get the less expensive one. . .

If you found one with the old part number it may be new old stock. The last upgrade was in 2002. There were significant changes in the left tensioner but I don't know about the right one. Is it OEM or aftermarket. Many of the new inexpensive aftermarket tensioners have weaker springs than the old one in the vehicle according to some members. For some the piston will freeze in the bore. If it sticks extended the guide assy will break. If it sticks fully retracted the timing chain can slip. Make sure and hand test the piston movement in the cylinder bore before installing.

If you found one with the old part number it may be new old stock. The last upgrade was in 2002. There were significant changes in the left tensioner but I don't know about the right one. Is it OEM or aftermarket. Many of the new inexpensive aftermarket tensioners have weaker springs than the old one in the vehicle according to some members. For some the piston will freeze in the bore. If it sticks extended the guide assy will break. If it sticks fully retracted the timing chain can slip. Make sure and hand test the piston movement in the cylinder bore before installing.

These changes in 2002 were with the new tensioner guide design correct?

I am installing into a 2001 Job 2 Sport Trac. This was pre design improvement. Would the older part be better in that application?

Checking with eBay's will it fit chart it calls for me to use the later 7X part number....

Is it worth the extra $ to buy the OEM part?

An OEM one is roughtly 60$...

doesn't matter which vehicle

I'm not aware of any camshaft timing chain related requirements differences for different years and models of the Cologne SOHC 4.0L V6. The parts should work on Mustangs, Rangers, Mountaineers and Explorers. Some members have purchased the 4USA components and reported they are of good quality. From what I've heard from members who recently purchased OEM hydraulic tensioners they probably aren't worth the difference compared to a quality aftermarket one. The problem is determining the quality of the aftermarket unit. Tasca Parts sells 7U3Z6K254A online for $47.75 plus shipping. If the older one only costs $30 it's probably worth it since it's not that difficult to replace.

The part numbers for the front and rear jackshaft bolts are not showing up in my local dealers system. Any updates on those? Also, which bolts are torque to yield and have to be replaced when doing this job?

parts availability

The part numbers for the front and rear jackshaft bolts are not showing up in my local dealers system. Any updates on those?
Bolt-jackshaft sprocket bolt 2L2Z6279AA available from Tasca Parts $5.80
Jackshaft rear sprocket retaining bolt W703167S430 available from Tasca Parts $6.45

Also, which bolts are torque to yield and have to be replaced when doing this job?

Torque specifications: SOHC V6 Torque Specifications

Has anyone used Sealed Power Timing Chain kits for the front and rear 4.0L SOHC?

They look like they are built tough but also expensive.

I have a headache trying to figure out the part numbers for the tensioners. After several hours of searching, and a visit to the local Ford dealer, here's what I am scratching my head about.

The correct part number for the revised (longer) LH front tensioner is 7U3Z-6K254-B. This one I think superseded part number F4TZ-6K254-A which seems to be the same tensioner used for the 4.0L OHV engine.

The correct part number for the shorter RH rear tensioner is 7U3Z-6K254-A. This one superseded the previous RH tensioner which was XU3Z-6K254-BA.

That conclusion based on part numbers I got from Ford, websites like Tascaparts, and all the posts I read here.

But the Ford parts catalog seems to have the LH and RH tensioner part numbers mixed up. In the diagram below from Ford (if I've done the uploading correctly), you can see the RH tensioner is labeled 6K254B, and the LH tensioner is labeled 6K254A.

Since the tensioners are different lengths, I expect fitting them round the wrong way will cause a problem.

So my question is, what is the explanation for the conflict? And, whichever parts I get, make sure the longer tensioner goes on the LH side?
explorer-timing-chains-tensioners-ford-parts-diagram.jpg

And ... about the previous post ...

Has anyone used Sealed Power Timing Chain kits for the front and rear 4.0L SOHC?
Hope you don't mind, I used your question to start a new topic. I want to know also ...

Sealed Power timing chain kits vs Cloyes or OEM Ford quality?

I don't remember now how I got the idea the SOHC engine initially used OHV tensioners. Probably because I'm looking at pictures and part numbers online at present, not real tensioners. I've discovered that pictures online often don't match the real thing.

I'm still interested in trying to reconcile the conflicting part numbers for the LH and RH tensioners, so that I don't end up ordering the wrong ones, or have them go in the wrong place.

The picture from Ford says 6K254B is for the RH tensioner (rear), and 6K254A is for the LH tensioner (front).

But the full part numbers have the A and B reversed, as in:

7U3Z-6K254-A for the RH tensioner (rear)
7U3Z-6K254-B for the LH tensioner (front)

I'm going to go with those last two part numbers as the correct ones and hope that the conflict is a typo in the picture, or because I don't understand something about the Ford part numbering system. Yeah, I even spent a day learning their system to try and understand the conflict (unsuccessfully).

7U3Z-6K254-A: right (passenger side in US) rear cassette tensioner
7U3Z-6K254-B left (driver side in US) front cassette tensioner
The long tensioner goes in the front. I don't know why the Ford parts catalog drawing is labeled incorrectly.

2000StreetRod - From your parts list "YL2Z6M273AA superseded by 7U3Z6A257A"

Is 7U3Z6A257A and improved version of YL2Z6M273AA or is it just superseded ?

I have a record of Ford replacing mine (YL2Z6M273AA) at 48 k and I am now at 160 k - If I was to replace it should it be 7U3Z6A257A or YL2Z6M273AA ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YL2Z6M273AA is just the "plastic" guide assembly. It's been many years since just the guide assembly could be individually purchased. Ford claimed that wear patterns were quickly established with the chain and sprockets and used that to justify only selling the complete cassette 7U3Z6A257A. That cassette guide has been modified to utilize a circlip/bushing instead of a pressed bushing which allows disassembly of the cassette guide.
7U3Z-6A257-A.jpg

Back