Solved - SOHC V6 Timing Chain Related PNs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved SOHC V6 Timing Chain Related PNs

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
7U3Z-6K254-A: right (passenger side in US) rear cassette tensioner
7U3Z-6K254-B left (driver side in US) front cassette tensioner
The long tensioner goes in the front. I don't know why the Ford parts catalog drawing is labeled incorrectly.
Thanks StreetRod.

And huge thank you to you for all your other invaluable posts. So much excellent information and pics in them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to add that this site has been invaluable to me while rebuilding my 4.0L V6.
Thanks a ton to everyone who went before, I really appreciate it.
I had to search for the TTY cam bolts recently and I may have missed them, but I didn't see them listed here, so I thought I would add them.

Right Camshaft Sprocket Bolt F77Z-6279-AD
Left Camshaft Sprocket Bolt F77Z-6279-CB

Can anyone tell me the difference between the following PNs

Kit - 2U3E-6D256-AB

Kit - 2U3E--6D256-BB

The ford instructions say the AB is is for balance shaft engine and the BB is for Non-balanced shaft engine.

What are the actual differences between the kits.

What I actually purchased is a

Jackshaft/primary timing chain kit 2U3Z6D256CA

The paperwork with the kit however called out the above post 24 suffix numbers ?

Left/front timing chain cassette assembly 7U3Z6A257A

Hi,
I was wondering if you might be able to help me out. Amazon, Car ID and a ford dealer are telling me that this part will not fit my explorer. Are they misinformed or should I be looking for another part number? I can find nothing for my 08 XLT 4.0. Did something change starting in 08.

Thanks for posting all these part numbers it’s very helpful.

According to Tascaparts.com that parts fits up thru 2006. It looks like the cassette assembly for your 08 is 7L2Z-6M289-A. Here's a link to the part: Camshaft Gear - Ford (7L2Z-6M289-A) | TascaParts.com
There was a change in the head casting that reduces the clearance for the cassette guide pivot bushing. In some models the head almost had to be pulled to replace the cassette assembly. The pressed pivot bushing was eventually replaced with a removable bushing with a keeper. That way the two pieces of the cassette could be installed individually and then the bushing and keeper installed without removing the head.
The top cassette guide in the photo below has the pivot bushing with the keeper.
LFrnt.jpg

The bottom cassette guide in the photo above has the pressed bushing. It's a pain to disassemble the cassette guide to install it but it beats removing the head.
The photo below shows the lower part of the cassette with the main timing chain sprocket removed from the jackshaft allowing access to the pivot bushing and positioning bolt.
JackPriSprocket.jpg

That is awesome!! Thank you so much!! I do remember watching videos on the two part cassette but did not realize they were different part numbers. You just saved me so much time.

Okay, thanks again for your help. Upon further research it looks as if the part number you provided me 7L2Z-6M289-A replaces 4L2Z6M290AA and these are both for the rear correct? All websites say either of these part numbers fit my 08. But Tasca says it’s for the LEFT REAR????? So I’m going to pretend this a typo and it’s just for the rear as pictures include the bolt with the o ring.

So what do I do for the front? If you are busy don’t worry about it, I’m just about on the end of my rope when it comes to this SUV and spending hours on parts research is just taking away from working on the vehicle. I think the most frustrating part of all this is I could have had both the front and rear parts ordered in 20 minutes if I wanted aftermarket.
Thanks again for your previous post.

********edit*****

You were 100% correct on the part. It most definitely is the front left. Sorry for the confusion, everything is blending together in my mind.

Below is the photo of the part which is obviously for the front.
LftCstNew.jpg

The diagram shows the part as for the left front.
EngDiag.jpg

As I recall you can call Tasca Parts and give them your VIN and they will confirm if the part fits. Many of the after market parts are just junk. For the effort required to replace the components I would only install quality parts.

Yes, you are most definitely correct, sorry for the confusion. All these parts are just blending together in my brain. Haha. I am going to place my order for this and many other of the parts tomorrow, I finished pulling the engine last night. With all this work I’m going to use Ford parts as you suggested. Thanks again for your assistance, this has been very helpful.

If you send your email address to dclinbeard@bellsouth.net I'll send you a copy of the SOHC V6 assembly instructions that I found to be quite useful. Also, click on the "My Helpful Threads" link in my signature for camshaft timing related threads. I suggest rotating the crankshaft to the position where piston 1 is at TDC on the compression stroke before loosening any sprocket retaining bolts. Also. don't break the right (passenger side) camshaft sprocket retaining bolt by turning it in the wrong direction to loosen.

Hi, I’m stumped. I removed and replaced all guides, chains and sprockets. I set the shaft to TDC (With the timing tool) as you suggested before tare-down and was careful not to disturb anything any more than necessary. Now I’m at the cams. Both of the slots at the ends of the cam shafts are positioned dead on even with the heads but 180 degrees off. The slots are up on the top end of both of the cam shafts.

I found a older post of yours that says to position them so the slots are at the lower half of the shafts. Why would I be having this issue? I am hesitant to spin the cams 180 degrees as they seem dead on and I did try my best not to move them when removing and installing the old/new parts the engine was also running very smooth before the tare down.

Thanks

image.jpg
image.jpg

Since both cams have the slots above the camshaft axes then the timing is not off but you will not be able to install the timing tool. If piston one is at TDC then it on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke which is determined by the camshafts. If all of the chains are installed and the camshaft sprockets are tight then all you need to do is rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees and the camshafts will rotate 180 degrees. Then you can check the timing with the "precision tensioner tool" installed.

Since both cams have the slots above the camshaft axes then the timing is not off but you will not be able to install the timing tool. If piston one is at TDC then it on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke which is determined by the camshafts. If all of the chains are installed and the camshaft sprockets are tight then all you need to do is rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees and the camshafts will rotate 180 degrees.

Okay. Thank you. I do not have the cam shaft sprockets tight yet.
I should temporarily tighten cam sprockets, rotate crank 360 degrees than check for Exact timing on the cams.

Will this mess up the balance shaft timing? I wouldn’t think so but figured I should confirm. Thank you.

The balance shaft has nothing to do with the camshafts. It is just timed relative to the crankshaft. You should never loosen or remove the balance shaft sprocket retaining bolt because there are no marks on the balance to align its sprocket. See the following thread to check the timing: How to: - Balance Shaft Timing Procedure

Thanks, that worked perfect!! Everything is exactly where it should be.

Back