Sold the EX, sold the Jeep, got an Xterra | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sold the EX, sold the Jeep, got an Xterra

Bigcheck1

Reaction score
City, State
Marlton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Nissan Xterra
Somne of you know that I recently sold my Explorer. Well I traded in my Wrangler this week too. I got brand new Xterra. Black, all the options except the supercharger. I have driven a few hundred miles so far and like it alot. This is going to be so much better for my long commutes and travel for work. I had to do something diffrent since I drive so much. I have found a decent site for the Xterra (www.xterraownersgroup.com) with some useful information. I will be checking back here every so often since I have been finding alot of my old parts and such in the garage that someone might benefit from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good luck with the xterra, they are nice trucks. Another site you should check out www.4x4parts.com. I used to be a member when I had my old pathfinder. This is a nissan truck only board, with enough info about your xterra to make your head spin. They are nice and always welcome newcomers.

Congrads on getting an Xterra. Do you got pics of it so we can check it out. My cousin is thinking of getting one.

My sister just bought an Xterra. My nephew will be driving it when he gets his license. Do you have any observations or tips on the Xterra, especially for new drivers?

The specs look a lot like the 1st generation Explorers, though the Xterra and Explorer seem to have evolved in different directions. Is it also a part-time 4WD system?

Thanks.

Bob

I like the 2005's, that new engine sounds pretty nice.
4.0-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine
265 hp @ 5,600 rpm
284 lb-ft of torque @ 4,000 rpm

I've put 4300 miles on it so far and it's been great. I have had no problems with it. It rides similar to a second generation explorer. used the 4 wheel drive in the snow and that performed pretty well. the new 05's are bigger and have more power, I have no need for that right, the power in this thing is just fine. I will see how it does towing my boat this weekend though.

uh, gone over to the other other darkside, eh? ;)

its ok, im on the yota darkside :)

what is the gas mileage on that... can not be better than a explorer...

anywhere from 14-20 depending upon where and how you drive. I had to drive to Virginia beach the other week to work at another hospital and I got about 19.5 mpg. if you keep the rpms low enough, its does fine with mpg. when you do 75-80 mph it starts to take a toll on the mpg because the rpms are in the 3000 range.

Xterra

That's about the same gas mileage I get with my 1st gen Ex with a 4.0L and manual trans I get average 18-19 mpg. I figured the Xterra would be similar.

Did you get the stick or the automatic?

I drove my nephew's Xterra yesterday. He has the automatic, but it is really nice. Only things that troubled me: it is really tall, so loading a canoe on the roof might be tricky, and I couldn't find the spark plugs. Overall, a really nice vehicle, though. Why doesn't Ford make something like this? The Explorer turned into a soccer mom truck and the Escape is pretty wimpy by comparison.

Bob

Well I just rolled over 5000 miles on it this past weekend. I did my second batch of towing with it too. The first towing was hard to compare to since it was loading and unloading 1 ton of stone at various points of the day. I towed my boat (20 foot Bayliner, 3000 lbs) about 300 miles, round trip. It did fine. Overall, trailering was easy. It really reminds me of my old first gen when it was stock. Its underpowered but for the most part it gets the job done. I have the automatice mostly because most of my driving is in Philly traffic.

Back