Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

So seeing as spring is just around the corner, I thought I'd start a thread on the future undertaking of swapping in the Dana 60.

The axle is from a 1986 "Fawwd" F-threee "fitty", sporting some kingpins and a whole lot of rust. I took this axle apart a few months ago (except stupid me didnt remove the pinion nut before breakdown :rolleyes:) and had it hot tanked. I wanted it sandblasted, but the machine shop owner smirked and said "naaah yo, that junx is too big for my blasting cabinet" .. okay except he didn't really say that cauz he's old and a really cool guy. ANyways *twirls blonde hair*, this is my plaannn:

- WMS-WMS this axle is just a bit over 69" wide so I'm going to cut the passenger's side down a few inches to match 'ye ol General Motors 14-bolt axle. So this is going to require custom axle shafts and I think I'm going to go Chromos and 35-spline outers off the bat from the most awesome guys at Complete Off Road.

- Drive flange or lockouts? They are about the same in price and its a dedicated trail rig so I'm leaning towards the drive flanges. Right now, the cheapest flanges I found are the Teraflexes at $180 for a pair. If anyone knows of a better deal, please let me know :D !!

- High-steer arms and a double-ended hydroponics goodness ("cylinder").

- Opposite-ended panhard bar! The idea is to mount the chassis end of the panhard on the passenger's side frame rail and the axle end on the driver's side. Doing so should allow a more simple and cleaner design since the axle-mount can be mounted on top of or near the differential housing, instead of a tower on the passenger's side (like in my current D44 setup). I also plan to boost the panhard as far up as possible to increase the roll center of the front suspension. Yeah the concept is a little strange but I'm hoping it'll work and won't have any issues (no drag-link to factor into the design). But if anyone knows of any problem running this config, please chime in!

*EDIT*
- Detoit Locker for the carrier. I'm please with how the Detroit in the 14-bolt has performed so I figured I'd run the same in the front. Of course 5.13s to match the 14-bolt.

So here's the little guy, he's been in this position for the past few months just collecting dust:

DSC000871.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI, the badlands are now partially owned by Kyle and Steph (Paragon)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

FYI, the badlands are now partially owned by Kyle and Steph (Paragon)

From the badlands website:

Breaking News

To all of our valued customers:

The Badlands has been sold. We trust all our loyal customers to embrace the change. Kyle and Stephanie Knosp, former owners of Paragon Adventure Park, will take over operations April 1st, 2008. Kyle and Stephanie have been longtime friends of ours and business associates. They will be bringing fresh new ideas that will compliment the park to make your experience here even better. This is a good thing, especially for you the customer, because we are sure this change will move the park to the next level. Keep checking back for the list of new things to come in 2008!!!

We want to thank each and every one of you for 12 years of great people and great times. We feel truly blessed to have been a part of your offroad adventures.

From the Heart

Thank You and Ride Safe

Troy and Lisa Myers

FULL%20COLOR%20PARAGON%20LOGO_SM.jpg

Paragon was such a good park.. oh so good.

For some update:

I forgot to mention this but I'm moving down a notch in the brake department -- ditching the 1-ton D60 brakes and I'm putting on Chevy D44 3/4-tons (calipers and rotors). The reason is I hate how those 1-ton calipers are held in by stupid rubber thingies -- that is the wackiest brake design ever. Going to 3/4-ton also means I dont have to worry about brake line fitting compatibility because the new brakes I'm putting onto the D60 are exactly the same brakes that I have on my D44.

Caliper brackets came in today, from BlackBirds Customs :
brake_backing_plates.jpg

Also, for reference so I can set proper camber later (because I'm knocking out the inner knuckles), the kingpin's lower bearing race is 8.5 degrees off from the tubes.

knuckle_angle.gif

Sweet..

I also wanted to use the 3/4ton front brakes, but Blackbird does not make a kit yet for the Ford 3/4 ton front axle :( ...everyone says the brakes are the same, but Blackbird said that the D60 brackets will not work on the D44 3/4 ton

everyone says the brakes are the same, but Blackbird said that the D60 brackets will not work on the D44 3/4 ton
Yeah I read a bit about that and how the 3/4-ton Ford is different from the 1-ton Ford, even though Bill Vista's D60 bible states otherwise (that they are exactly the same).

Sweet..

I also wanted to use the 3/4ton front brakes, but Blackbird does not make a kit yet for the Ford 3/4 ton front axle :( ...everyone says the brakes are the same, but Blackbird said that the D60 brackets will not work on the D44 3/4 ton

All you have to do is swap to Chevy outers from the knuckle out. You can use Chevy D44 or 10 bolt stuff.

Yeah, but i already have Ford knuckles milled-drilled and everything else..just don't fell like swapping everything out...i'm just going to run 16's or 17's

Sooo..

For the past few days I've been trying to tackle the inner knuckles and finally got both of them off.

Started by grinding away the old weld, then slicing a thin ring about 1mm thick:
knuckle_sliced.jpg

This is the separation line between the axle tube and the inner knuckle -- its not always this apparent though:
separation_line.jpg

Then came the heating process, then a quick blast of cold water was applied to the tube to try to get it to shrink just a bit:
knuckles_heating.jpg

After a lengthy time of banging on the axle, finally the knuckles came off. The passenger's side was a lot more difficult than the driver's because the knuckle was gouging the tube on its way out, so more friction to overcome. Needless to say, I'm dead tired after swinging that sledge hammer for a few hours
icon_dead.gif

axle_knuckles_removed.jpg

The guilty party
icon_furious.gif
:
inner_knuckles_removed.jpg

Wow, you beat the CRAP out of thoes knuckles

Oh yeah you bet -- had a few blisters after I was done.

As always your thread is interesating and informative IZ. Keep us posted. By the way I may have missed it where did you find the 60.

Thanks -- the D60 I found on car-part.com from some used parts place near NYC.

might i ask what it ran u? i think i paid an average price for mine (1k for f&r) but i could be wrong.
Yeah that sounds right -- I paid $500 for mine. I saw it on car-part.com one day, got in my van and picked it up the next.

nice 60 build.. that rack/workstation is clutch.. let me know when you done with that front bumper I'll make the trip down.

Thanks .. come pick it up anytime. If I'm not going to be home when you stop by, I'll leave it outside.

well I'm enjoying my spring break right now and have some free time.. so I may make the trip down this sometime in the next few days. i'll send you a pm.

Looking good.What are u running for wheels IzWack?

Initially, I'll be running what I already have (15x10s 2.5BS). And hopefully sometime in the summer, I'll find some sticky compound tires, which will probably require either 16s or 17s

I think interco makes a sticky in 15's on thier website.

Back