Smoked Tail Light Tint | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smoked Tail Light Tint

I decided to make my own smoked tail light tint. It is static-cling window film in 20% limo black from Wal-Mart, or i have seen it other places also. Then cut to fit. The tint is a thin static cling vinyl unlike real tint, so you can use and reuse them as many times as you want. The tint comes in a roll. It cost me $10.19, and hour of my time.

38688zz111.jpg

I made the templates by cutting a hole in a sheet of paper, taping it to the light and tracing the shape to the paper. Then I cut the shape and transferred it to the tinting.

38688zz10.jpg

This is a pic of the cut outs and the stock tail light. Make sure it is clean..

38688zz1.jpg

The tint is the vinyl, static type, but you still apply it like the regular window tint. You can use baby shampoo and bottled water to help you apply it. This is with the first one on the top..

38688zz2.jpg

This is it all done !

38688zz3.jpg

After several high pressure car washes, and high speed driving, mine is still sticking. Once the moisture is gone, they are not coming off until YOU take it off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These are my tails that I did this weekend. I used the same RC paint as SoundQ SVT. It only took one can, and I coated them 3 times then 1 coat of clear. I also let them dry for about 48 hours to the paint allow the paint to dry as much as possible. I have to say they came out awesome! They look brand new and like they came from the factory that way.:D I bought a few extra cans if anything is instrested.

P.S. - Don't mind the dirty truck! It snowed the day before I started working on the truck. In APRIL, I know!:mad:

Without further ado....

This is before the clear coat.
painting.jpg

Back of the truck.
backend.jpg

Close up of driver side tail.
driver.jpg

Close up of passenger side tail.
passenger.jpg

i know this is an old thread but i'm about to black my tails on my 04 ex and was wondering if you just taped off the reverse lights? it doesnt look like they are tinted at all and thats how i want mine. but i'm afraid if i tape it off then there will be a raised part from all the layers of paint, any suggestions?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yes, and if any do get in the reverse, then use Paint Thinner to get it off.
Thats what I did, I first did the whole thing, but seen another X with the Reverse lights not tinted and it looked awesome, take some Paint thinner (wear gloves) and a paper towel and take it off.
Heres mine after that spray
These are camera pictures so they suck

hey where do you buy this stuff? i went to walmart, advanced auto parts and auto zone and none of them have this stuff and everyone i asked said they'd never seen or heard of it before
I've gotten my spray from ebay for $11 with shipping. Best deal...

hey where do you buy this stuff? i went to walmart, advanced auto parts and auto zone and none of them have this stuff and everyone i asked said they'd never seen or heard of it before

I used different stuff, but if you find a hobby shop they'll have more than one type tint spray for you to get. They're all pretty much the same.

the only prob about using the RC tint(get a your local hobby shop) MUST SET for a good 24 hours before clearing. It is a strong tint that requires pushing out all chemicals inorder to get a lasting tint.

I just washed it with soap and water. A rubdown with alcohol to remove any wax and then a rinse off couldn't hurt. Don't sand or scuff it.

I hit mine with 3 I think. Two should be enough, but a little extra can't hurt, as long a it doesn't fog up or anything.

I just washed mine and sprayed them with niteshades, 4-5 LIGHT coats gets it nice N dark. clear over.

I sprayed Windex on mine, wiped it done pretty nice and slow then applied 5 very light coats from 5 feet...( this helped me get it nice & even all across)
Then let it dry for a couple minutes and installed it....

Mines been on for about 3 months now during the summer and it's slowly coming off with car washes every weekend. a new can is on the way.
Check post #43 on this page for the pics, I'll take some new ones after the new can comes through.

The RC Paint works awesome!!! I did all three lights and they look awesome!!!

Before
0828081402.jpg

After!!!
0828081457.jpg

Ok... So how do you get the paint off? :rolleyes: I have a spare set of tinted one I'm trying to strip the tint back off:(

Good question, My truck cost $500 so i didn't really think about it. It's kinda a committment to coolness. I guess you may have to buy new ones, but they will definately last longer painted.

My best guess Stic-O is that paint thinner would do the job taking it all off. Maybe even some rubbing alcohol. Or you could use what I use for EVERYTHING ...WD-40. As far as the tint goes...I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.:D

when I did mine on my Camaro I got it on my reverse lights and it had already dried and started curing so I tried everything to get it off. I finally went to lowes and got a can of stuff called "Goof OFF" Sprayed it on my tails and just watched all the tint come dripping off. And then just wiped it clean and started all over again.

when I did mine on my Camaro I got it on my reverse lights and it had already dried and started curing so I tried everything to get it off. I finally went to lowes and got a can of stuff called "Goof OFF" Sprayed it on my tails and just watched all the tint come dripping off. And then just wiped it clean and started all over again.

Yah, I have heard of that stuff. Now I know it works. Thanks man.:thumbsup:

sweet!!!, one of my taillights got a huge scratch yesterday and the paint is cracking off. i'll have to try thhat stuff and redo them!

Back