Sound after sitting a while | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sound after sitting a while

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There seem to be several items that don't go to 'sleep'. Mine makes many noises when I open the door and also after shutting the vehicle off. Can't say I've heard any noises when just walking bu it though.

Peter
Our 2020 explorer is the same way. I’ve ordered an adapter to use Forscan for my F-150 and this explorer. I’m hoping to find a way using Forscan to resolve this issue one way or another.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I consider the sounds mine makes to be normal. It only seems to happen the first time I start it for the day.

Peter

Our 2020 explorer is the same way. I’ve ordered an adapter to use Forscan for my F-150 and this explorer. I’m hoping to find a way using Forscan to resolve this issue one way or another.

Unfortunately, the sounds are all normal, every Explorer does it, the Aviators do it as well.

I am going to pop the hood and try again. It is definitely coming from the top of the firewall under the hood.
I shut mine off an hour ago. I just happen to turn on my outside camera that overlooks the front yard and I heard mine clicking like that. I guess it figured it was bed time so it was getting comfortable or something. Going to ask when I go in for an oil change Friday!

Someone on my YT video said to turn off wifi connectivity and the noises stop. i haven’t tried it yet as I keep forgetting.....

You can set the accessory power delay in the infotainment system.

Where is this setting, I searched so much but could Not find the setting to change the accessory power delay setting.

It happens is all ST's. Even when it is Not making this noise, take your phone next to the car, open Fordpass app, go to vehicle tab, click on the refresh option and the noise can be replicated right away. At least I am able to.

And as northvibe has mentioned, I have also subscribed to AT&T wifi plan for the vehicle hotspot so that is also active on my vehicle.

Where is this setting, I searched so much but could Not find the setting to change the accessory power delay setting.
I wasn't able to find anything in the Manual about Accessory Power Delay being in the settings. This feature remains ON for several minutes after the ignition is turned OFF or until you open the door.

Peter

I’ll have to check, there was a way to turn wifi off or just disconnect it from your home wifi. I assume it’s checking in to Ford for app and updates etc

I wasn't able to find anything in the Manual about Accessory Power Delay being in the settings. This feature remains ON for several minutes after the ignition is turned OFF or until you open the door.

Peter

Yeah, I think so too, there is no way to adjust the power delay. It is automatic.

I’ll have to check, there was a way to turn wifi off or just disconnect it from your home wifi. I assume it’s checking in to Ford for app and updates etc

Yes, there is the option to turn if off completely. But I want my wifi and also the vehicle hotspot so I will live with my ST burping all the time.

Yes, there is the option to turn if off completely. But I want my wifi and also the vehicle hotspot so I will live with my ST burping all the time.

I may try it, I think if the wifi is off you can still use the fordpass app. I think the wifi is for the alexa and sync updates. idk I don't mind the clicking either, but some people just want it gone I guess.

Hi all. My wife and I just took delivery of a 2021 Explorer 4WD XLT with 202a package.

We both absolutely love it so far (only 300 miles on it!) I've noticed a very noticeable relay switching sound when first opening a door. This noise is also heard approximately 1 minute after turning off (and exiting) the vehicle. I've also noticed sounds coming from the car every so often while it sits in the garage.

The best I can tell, the noise appears to be coming from under the hood, driver side below the fuse box by the firewall.

Has anyone else noticed this with their explorer? Definitely does not seem normal to me. I'll be making an appointment with the dealer to check it out, just wondering if anyone might have any thoughts.

Thank you.

Hi all. My wife and I just took delivery of a 2021 Explorer 4WD XLT with 202a package.

We both absolutely love it so far (only 300 miles on it!) I've noticed a very noticeable relay switching sound when first opening a door. This noise is also heard approximately 1 minute after turning off (and exiting) the vehicle. I've also noticed sounds coming from the car every so often while it sits in the garage.

The best I can tell, the noise appears to be coming from under the hood, driver side below the fuse box by the firewall.

Has anyone else noticed this with their explorer? Definitely does not seem normal to me. I'll be making an appointment with the dealer to check it out, just wondering if anyone might have any thoughts.

Thank you.
It's most likely normal. The computers are going through stages of sleep and shutting down systems when you turn off the car to save battery. Likewise when you touch the door it restarts various systems like the fuel system to pressurize the lines in prep for starting.

I'm not sure on the exact number on the explorer but a typical car will have more than 20 different computers connected by a CAN buss. Pretty much anything in the car has a computer as none of the switches are actually hooked up to what they control. The switch sends a request on the can buss for a function then the computer for that function actually activates the feature.

Thank you.
What you describe is perfectly normal. I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same issue.

Peter

i get those clicking noise during or after locking or unlocking the explorer might be normal. maybe relays and circuits closing. but I never had a vehicle that sounds like that. it comes off as very unpolished poorly engineered machine specially for a 40-50k SUV.

i get those clicking noise during or after locking or unlocking the explorer might be normal. maybe relays and circuits closing. but I never had a vehicle that sounds like that. it comes off as very unpolished poorly engineered machine specially for a 40-50k SUV.
It likely won't make you feel any better, but my Aviator does exactly the same thing. I don't blame it on a "very unpolished poorly engineered machine" but the way these things work. You can't silence everything especially if they are mechanical. Also, it will make sounds long after you've shut it down.:)

Peter

We ride a ferry a lot, its impossible to sleep in the ST because these clicks and clunks occur the entire time we’re in there. Just start to doze and clickety-clack.

I’m sorry to see “that’s normal” as it’s a maddening nuisance but I’m also glad to be able to call out the haters that trashed me for complaining about just this issue.

Some of these cars were just not finished at the factory or the installers are all stoned because there are entirely too many faults and under-engineered junk on a lot of these cars. It seems they have a very high rate of substandard parts and very slapdash installations.

I’m sorry to see “that’s normal” as it’s a maddening nuisance but I’m also glad to be able to call out the haters that trashed me for complaining about just this issue.

I checked your posts and didn't see where you complained about this issue before. :dunno:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We ride a ferry a lot, its impossible to sleep in the ST because these clicks and clunks occur the entire time we’re in there. Just start to doze and clickety-clack.

Some of these cars were just not finished at the factory or the installers are all stoned because there are entirely too many faults and under-engineered junk on a lot of these cars. It seems they have a very high rate of substandard parts and very slapdash installations.
While yes they have had issues (for which I blame many of them on the union renegotiations) This is not really one of them.

These are connect vehicles. A lot of those noises are like from systems cycling to run diagnostics that get sent to your Ford Pass app. That is why you can see your Air pressure, location, fuel levels, and ect. in your app with the car off.

Most relays are a electro mechanical switch. You can hear these switch on and off, especially when it is quite. If it bothers you that much while trying to nap I believe you can take your vehicle in and have all of that removed and maybe that will stop it. Or you could try ear plugs. Who knows you may even just get used to it. I mean if I was able to sleep through 155mm cannons firing at night I am sure most people will can adjustable to some electrical component noises.

Back