Sound after sitting a while | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sound after sitting a while

Every morning and throughout the day as well, when I open the drivers side door there is this mechanical gear noise that is coming from the drivers side. Sounds horrible and cannot be "normal" as the dealer says.

Took it in for the second time on this and they say it's the fuel pump priming and its normal. Anyone have this noise?? This cannot be normal.

I cannot upload the sound file but its just not right. 3rd time taking this SUV in will want me to lemon it.

Any help would be great.

2020 Platinum Trim.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to a different dealer.

Every morning and throughout the day as well, when I open the drivers side door there is this mechanical gear noise that is coming from the drivers side. Sounds horrible and cannot be "normal" as the dealer says.

Took it in for the second time on this and they say it's the fuel pump priming and its normal. Anyone have this noise?? This cannot be normal.

I cannot upload the sound file but its just not right. 3rd time taking this SUV in will want me to lemon it.

Any help would be great.

2020 Platinum Trim.
Welcome to the Forum Jeff. :wave:
It likely falls under this thread. If so, it's perfectly normal. Although I haven't tried it myself, see if it also happens when you open the passenger door after it has been sitting a while. Sound after sitting a while

Peter

Yes normal as ours does it too, think it is the high pressure fuel rail priming itself

Any help would be great.

2020 Platinum Trim.

It is normal. The car "wakes up," various electronic and mechanical systems prime including the fuel system. Fords with direct injection have been doing this since 2012 with the first DI vehicle - the '12 Ford Focus. There is absolutely nothing wrong. Think of it as your car saying hey, I'm ready to roll!

Any help would be great.

2020 Platinum Trim.
Are you still following your thread??

Peter

Are you still following your thread??

Peter
Seems to be another 'hit and run' poster. Not having heard anything, the thread was merged with this one.

Peter

This new Explorer sure makes a lot of noises while sitting in the garage. I was messing around in the garage yesterday 6i noticed the Explorer makes noises quite often. Apparently there is something that stays awake or not shutting down. My 2019 Ram with air suspension would make noise adjusting the suspension while in the garage. No suspension to adjust on the Explorer. Anyway, I'm not driving it much early this week so I put one of my Battery Tenders on it. They sure buried the battery under plastic.... Anyway just figured I'd bring it up. I started using a Battery Tender on a Corvette a few years ago because they would kill a battery within 2 weeks of no use. The new F150 has been killing batteries quickly, too. So I'm going to start hooking them up if they are going to sit for a while.

Yeah, once you start getting a few deep sleep notifications on Ford Pass, it's time to hook up the Battery Tender when not planning to drive it for a few days.

This new Explorer sure makes a lot of noises while sitting in the garage. I was messing around in the garage yesterday 6i noticed the Explorer makes noises quite often. Apparently there is something that stays awake or not shutting down. My 2019 Ram with air suspension would make noise adjusting the suspension while in the garage. No suspension to adjust on the Explorer. Anyway, I'm not driving it much early this week so I put one of my Battery Tenders on it. They sure buried the battery under plastic.... Anyway just figured I'd bring it up. I started using a Battery Tender on a Corvette a few years ago because they would kill a battery within 2 weeks of no use. The new F150 has been killing batteries quickly, too. So I'm going to start hooking them up if they are going to sit for a while.

Your thread has been merged with the current one on this topic.

The Explorer will go into a Deep Sleep mode after 14 days basically shutting off all functions to prevent battery drain. Although you can use a tender, it should not kill the battery by letting it sit for a few weeks. I've had no issues with it sitting.

Your thread has been merged with the current one on this topic.

The Explorer will go into a Deep Sleep mode after 14 days basically shutting off all functions to prevent battery drain. Although you can use a tender, it should not kill the battery by letting it sit for a few weeks. I've had no issues with it sitting.
The 2021 F150's go into deep sleep and that's the end of the battery on too many occasions to take a chance on. I own 2 Battery Tenders and it's not a problem to use them. The battery on the 2011 Shelby GT500 I just traded was the original battery (10+ years) because it was always on the Battery Tender when not in use.
I'll let you assume the "deep sleep" will work. I'm not about to find out. I've had the Battery Tender on the Explorer since last evening and it is still bringing the battery up to full charge. These aren't deep cycle trolling motor batteries. They need to stay near full charge to last. Almost a day and the Battery Tender is still not showing green.
20210726_162251.jpg

The 2021 F150's go into deep sleep and that's the end of the battery on too many occasions to take a chance on. I own 2 Battery Tenders and it's not a problem to use them. The battery on the 2011 Shelby GT500 I just traded was the original battery (10+ years) because it was always on the Battery Tender when not in use.
I'll let you assume the "deep sleep" will work. I'm not about to find out. I've had the Battery Tender on the Explorer since last evening and it is still bringing the battery up to full charge. These aren't deep cycle trolling motor batteries. They need to stay near full charge to last. Almost a day and the Battery Tender is still not showing green. View attachment 340868

I use one on my gt350. Haven't needed one on the Explorer. 36k and 2 years old next month, no issues. YMMV

I'll let you assume the "deep sleep" will work. I'm not about to find out. I've had the Battery Tender on the Explorer since last evening and it is still bringing the battery up to full charge. These aren't deep cycle trolling motor batteries. They need to stay near full charge to last. Almost a day and the Battery Tender is still not showing green. View attachment 340868
Love your choice of color rapid red …. I have the same color.

I use one on my gt350. Haven't needed one on the Explorer. 36k and 2 years old next month, no issues. YMMV
Yeah, mine hasn't been that high for over 20 years. 10,000 miles a year is a high miler for me. When I lived in Florida, I usually had 4 vehicles so stuff sat a lot. I've just whittled myself down to 2 but I still see the F150 or the Explorer sitting for a week or two regularly.

Yeah, mine hasn't been that high for over 20 years. 10,000 miles a year is a high miler for me. When I lived in Florida, I usually had 4 vehicles so stuff sat a lot. I've just whittled myself down to 2 but I still see the F150 or the Explorer sitting for a week or two regularly.

Yup, Just had to do $800 worth of brakes on my 15 F350 with 60k on it because everything rusted up and seized due to not using it. Between my passat TDI as my commuter and my gt350 for my fund days, I never use my truck. Now while I use my gt350 for the summer, my wife is using the passat and the Explorer ST just sits. I've taken it out once in about a month. Got the "we are shutting everything down to save battery" message but it started right up about a week after that.

i installed the glove compartment and console lights this evening. I was curious about how they worked. So I closed the door and sat until the interior lights went out. I heard the clickety/clack then. The light under the touch screen stayed on. The light in the glove compartment still worked, the console light was on and the light around the USB port was on. In a few minutes heard the clickey/clack again and the USB port light went out. Sat there and in a few more minutes, clickey/clack and the console light, the light under the touch screen and the glove box light went out. So it appears that as certain functions disable, some module makes a sound. With all the systems in these newer vehicles and sequencing them with different times, this is the result. My son’s Bronco does the same clickey/clack after stopping it. One would think Ford could develop a quieter module.

^^
I don't know how long you sat in the vehicle but the Battery Saver Program will shut OFF lights after 10 minutes.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^
I don't know how long you sat in the vehicle but the Battery Saver Program will shut OFF lights after 10 minutes.

Peter
I know that it shuts the lights off after a time and the sequence I just told you probably covered 10 minutes. I was just trying to show everyone that something different shut off each time I heard a clickey/clack. Sometimes I hear the noise long after I shut it off, so I suspect that is another system shutting down. These new vehicles have a lot of systems, no wonder I hear so many stories from new vehicle owners about problems that the dealer can't diagnose. Seems the manufacturers should simplify some of this stuff to avoid ticking off customers and spending large sums with the dealers trying to diagnose problems. Not sure that me or other owners really care that one set of lights go out after 3 minutes, another after 5 minutes and another after 10 minutes.

I have owned my Explorer 4 1/2 months and have a little over 4,000 miles. It has been flawless so far and the wife and I love it for our travels. During my working life, I always have always had a lot business travel. Company cars (several different makes), rentals, personal vehicles (all Ford products). So far, I think this is the best open highway traveler I have experienced. Absolutely love the adaptive cruise control for today's crowded interstates. Steering ratio seems perfect for keeping it between the lines. Quiet ride. Hate the lane centering feature, so I keep it turned off. And my MPG to date is 25.5, not bad for this size vehicle. I estimate that the miles are about 50/50 between highway and local.

Back