Sounds like a vacuum cleaner, rpms shoot up... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sounds like a vacuum cleaner, rpms shoot up...

robot808

Reaction score
City, State
Elmhurst, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 V6 4x4
Hello everyone, I am posting in an effort to help my boss. He is a good guy but does not know much about cars. I am a shade tree guy, I work on an old Porsche 928 and a 96 Land Rover Discovery, so I am the resident car guy at work. I do not know anything about the Explorer, so I was hoping someone here might be able to help.

My bosses truck: 2006 Explorer V6 4x4

The problem (as he reported it to me): When driving around town sometimes he will hear what sounds like a vacuum cleaner turning on and the rpms shoot to over 2500. The vehicle speed stays constant. He says that this typically happens when he is cruising at 45-50mph.

I have tried searching, but the terms I have to work with are a bit funny. If this is something that has been covered here before, I am sorry for the wasted server space, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

TIA,
Bob

hes hearing the fan clutch check coolant.

"super-fan", got it. thanks for the tip. we will check it out.

HI. Did you confirm what was causing the loud vacuum cleaner sound on your boss' car? I have a similar sound on my 2006 Explorer. I thought it might be transmission related. Please let me know what you found out.

Thanks

Back