• Register Today It's free!

Spare 30A circiut in '03 XLT

Rubberhead

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Timberline w/TechPak
I have an '03 Explorer with the XLT trim. I am looking for a 30A circuit to power a 12 VDC inverter (400 Watts).

Does any know of a good place to get this circuit. The reason I ask is that the fuse panel under the driver's side dash has a fully populated with fuses including one 30A fuse labeled for seat warmers which my trim level doesn't have.

Can I pull from this "seat warmer" circuit? Where would I get the connection? Is there a better way?

Thanks for any help.

Most inverters come with a cigarette lighter plug for infrequent use. I dont know if the cig lighter can handle a 400w inverter but I think between the inverter specs and your owners manual you could determine if that would work. I have personally used a 375W inverter from the cigarette lighter no problem. If you want it permanently wired, one good solution would be to run wires directly to the battery with an in-line fuse holder. If there really is a seat warmers circuit that is unused and someone knows where to tap into that power, thats a good idea, but I don't know where to access it.

I honestly recommend pulling from the battery. It's the only safe way to go. hate to see you overload something and fry out then Computer, or burn the whole thing to the ground. I'd just run 2 wires from the battery, in line fuse, and away you go. Plus you can put it anywhere you want. I'm needing to do this, just haven't yet.

MANY times the stock Ford will have blank circuits not being used.

Meaning in your fuse box or relay box there may be blank open spot, where you can simply add your own wire and a stock fuse and create a 30 amp circuit.
The power dist boxes often are powered 12+ on one side of the fuse, and you can route your wire into the open side of the fuse, add the fuse and its powered via the battery to harness + feed.
I have my e-fan, ARB air compressor and fog light relays and fuses in a 93 power dist box, I still have about 10 open fuse spots.
waterproof and looks factory.

Back