Spare tire fix after body lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare tire fix after body lift?

nitro71

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spokane WA
What do you guys do about getting the jack handle in to winch down your spare tire after a body lift? If I cut a hole in the plastic splash shield will I get enough angle to get the jack handle in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe people cut a hole out of the bumper, yeah. I just ditched mine as I have full coverage insurance. Also personally I think it looks terrible with the entire spare tire haning down below the bumper after the body lift....I would just throw it in the back.

I need the back area for other stuff! It's going right back where it belongs.

Have you thought of a different location for your spare? The stock spare carriers are prone to failure- try searching for bumpers, spare tire carriers, or body lifts to see if anyone has done what you are trying to do. There are also inside spare mounts, and I've even seen spare tires on the roof rack. I am not sure if the stock lifting mech. can be modified easily for continued use with the body lift.
I have a 3" body lift on my '94, but removed the factory spare mount in favor of another fuel tank, and will be building a spare tire carrier that pivots on the bumper.

I used a block of wood, cut a hole in it for the cable and relocated my spare tire winch 3 inches higher. It worked awesome, I also ran a 32x11.5 spare tire and had it slightly deflated so it could fit behind my class 3 hitch.

i cut a hole through the plastic it works fine now

Me to. Angle is a little off but it works decent enough.

For my 2" body lift, I used some threaded rod couplers as spacers with longer bolts. Worked great!

DSCF3931.jpg

I HATE RUST!

Back