Spare Tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare Tires?

Well I decided to get my 32's put on my 98 sport since I did the shackle/torsion lift but I think I might have a problem. Maybe this is a stupid question but do I need the same size spare as what I am running on the truck. I thought that putting differnet size tires on the truck would screw up the fourwheel drive? My explorer can't be put in 2x4.....it has that auto drive system......will this matter? I don't think a 32" tire would fit under the truck.......so does this mean I have to get a full size spare and get a spare tire holder? Thanks again for all your help.

Yes, you definitely need the same size for the spare, at least in diameter. You could get a different brand that is cheaper, but remember that you'll be using that spare until you get your regular tire replaced or repaired.

No You don't, in an emergency.

My '97 came with 255 70R16 (30.1") tires but a 225 70R15 (27.4") temporary spare. That is common on the '97s before Ford redesigned the back in '98. A co-worker has a '98 with the same tires as I have, however he has a 255 70R16 for a spare. The bottom of his has noticeably more room than mine. With my round tube Hidden Hitch there is no way I'll fit anything much larger than the spare tire I have. It already hits my hitch. I've never had to use my spare, but if I did I would put it on the front mainly due to the limited slip in the rear. It will pull but the spare already warns against driving more than 50 miles and more than 50 MPH. One option I am considering is buying a larger diameter tire and deflate it enough to put it up there. I could then carry my portable compressor to air it back up.

Back