Spark Plug Recommendations for 92 EB? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Recommendations for 92 EB?

GunnerSchenck

Reaction score
City, State
Sugar Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer EB
I have a 1992 EB Explorer and was wondering what spark plugs youd recommend for it? Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Id get motorcraft. Can't go wrong. Most people recommend them. I just put a set in and it helped my car idle much smoother. I also put new motorcraft wires too

okay, ill most likely get those and the cables to go with it. New to explorers, you know any specs on what to get?

Don't know the specs but I ordered mine from rock auto.com. If you do a search on here you will find a discount code for their site as well.

Autolite or motrocraft standard platinum's work fine. No need to spend $ on useless gimmicks that don't work in our old ass engines.

I just replaced the aging Autolite plugs previous owner had put in with Motocraft copper cores. Only $2.29 a piece and my gas mileage went from 10-11 to 17, got back a bunch of lost power, and it revs MUCH smoother. :thumbsup:

I just replaced the aging Autolite plugs previous owner had put in with Motocraft copper cores. Only $2.29 a piece and my gas mileage went from 10-11 to 17, got back a bunch of lost power, and it revs MUCH smoother. :thumbsup:

you know exactly what those were? havent done spark plugs in this yet so gotta figure out what to put in them

you know exactly what those were? havent done spark plugs in this yet so gotta figure out what to put in them
Do you mean part number? Not sure how much more exact to get than Motocraft copper cores??

Copper core - cheap, replace at 25-30k
Platinum - middle priced, replace at 75-100k
Irridium - expensive, replace at 100k

Get a gapper and make sure your new plugs are gapped correctly, mine were pretty far off out of the box.

Id get motorcraft. Can't go wrong. Most people recommend them. I just put a set in and it helped my car idle much smoother. I also put new motorcraft wires too

Autolite or motrocraft standard platinum's work fine. No need to spend $ on useless gimmicks that don't work in our old ass engines.

motorcraft. always a good chose to go with motorcraft on a ford

I agree with all the above. I replaced my plugs with motorcraft platinum's and motorcraft wires in Jan or Feb 2011, I have put prob 15k mi on them. Mileage went up from 14 to 17 in town.

I'd also recommend checking the gap on the new plugs. I bought my plugs and wires, but then had a shop put them in for 60 bucks. I forget to check the gaps, and I bet they did not. Oh well, still runs better than before.

Your underhood sticker should be your guide. My 94 takes Motorcraft AWSF42PP, which are rare but still available on-line. This is a double platinum where the center electrode is a platinum button rather than a wire. Now, I should say I ran copper core for about 6 months prior to the platinums and saw zero improvement with the platinum, but with 17 year old engines, experience will vary. Anti-seize compound is quite important in this application, don't skip it.

Back