Spark Plug Wires & Plugs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Wires & Plugs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going to say, I had a set of Motorcraft plugs only go 50k. :dunno:

I forgot to ask the dealer to see those old plugs tho I'm sure if something was wrong, they'd have been quick to suggest more repairs. :p:

Is there any limit/guideline on the coil box? I'm not having any problems (2001 Explorer with 109k miles), well, aside from the P0171 code I'm working to fix, but I'm going to do some maintenance this summer. The plugs should be ok (platinum plugs installed around 40k or 50k ago) but I'm thinking of replacing the original coil box and plug wires.

If you want to help out performance, mileage, and emissions, put an MSD box on it. You won't ever get back what you pay for the box, but that thing really helps the combustion burn under 3500 rpm.

Hmm, I see you recommend upgraded wires too, rather than Motorcraft.

You know, it's funny. I'd read about that coil in your mileage thread, but I'd missed the link to a completely different thread on the coil box. I find something new from you about once a month - thanks for all the info.

I've never gapped plugs, but I remember my dad doing it when I was a kid. Small round tool, I think. Most difficult part is probably getting to the plugs on this dang v8.

So happeneds I noticed this thread about the E3 plugs. Well I installed them with the JBA Wires. Motor seemed to run awesome* after they were installed.

Strange stuff started to happen as I was driving to break things in. The motor was getting hotter than usual and seemed to have the "virbrating Idle" during stop lights. Plus the Check Engine light was flashing under load (up hills). Not sure what that was all about but I'm going tink with it some more.

I think the E3 Plugs run to hot for the 5.0L or something.

I've owned a 92' 4WD V6 OHV and installed motorcraft plugs. Ran like a champ.

How are Bosch +4 Platinums?

most people think these "fancy" plugs make their vehicle run awesome, when they are replacing old worn-out plugs.

a plain ole regular OEM style plug will make the vehicle run just as well, if not better, when old worn-out plugs are being replaced with new.

as I read on a post elsewhere; the spark will always jump between the center electrode and side electrode with the least resistance. So you will still get the same amount of spark as you would with a standard plug, since no 2 side electrodes can have the "least resistance," therefore still only getting spark between the center electrode and a single side electrode.

most people think these "fancy" plugs make their vehicle run awesome, when they are replacing old worn-out plugs.

a plain ole regular OEM style plug will make the vehicle run just as well, if not better, when old worn-out plugs are being replaced with new.

as I read on a post elsewhere; the spark will always jump between the center electrode and side electrode with the least resistance. So you will still get the same amount of spark as you would with a standard plug, since no 2 side electrodes can have the "least resistance," therefore still only getting spark between the center electrode and a single side electrode.

I complety agree OEM plugs work great and I usualy just buy what are recommended for cars.

As I mention above about my problem. Well I found it. My Spark plug wire (#3) plug got to close the manifold and fried it. I put back the old one and the car is running great now.

I love Motorcraft stuff and they work so good, but I think the E3 Spark plugs give the car more pep (at least 5 HP) during low RPM and high. As much as I hate to admit it they seem to work more effient than OEM.

Coil are good if you want to maximize your power range, like upgrading to a stroker. Otherwise the stock one works fine.

How are Bosch +4 Platinums?

I installed a set of Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion plugs in my '02 Sport Trac, and they have been doing great. I got improved power response & a little better gas mileage. the motocrafts I replaced were pretty clean. On my wifes Elantra they did even better, and her car gad 50K miles!!

Back