Spark plug wires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug wires

Explorer75

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
I just replaced the spark plug wires and some of them keep popping out of the coil pack, they feel like they don´t go all the way in. I used stock Motorcraft wires.
Anybody had this experience?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you install the coil pack ends dry or with dielectric grease ..... I always used the grease but last time I tried they kept sliding off... I dont know how the coil pack is like on the newer 4.0s but I thought they had clips that held them in on my old 4.0 OHV... I will have to open my hood and look how they did this on the 2007 4.0 SOHC

Funny you should mention this. i just replaced mine on my 4.0 with 80 bucks worth of NGK plugs Sunday. They clip into the coil so they cant come out. problem is the core pulled out of the cap on #1 plug so they will be going back at lunch today.

They have two clips that should prevent form popping out. They do come with a bit of dielectric grease, seems like enough, it´s bad to put too much. I look at the contact that plugs into the coil pack and maybe can be closed down a bit.

I had the same problem with the Motorcraft plug wires. I used black zip ties to secure each of them... I put a zip tie around each one, making sure the two clip hooks were holding on to the coil pack. I lasted for 50,000 miles without fail.

A mechanic friend of mine at Ford laughed when he saw it ... but now does the same. He said its a common issue.

I had the same problem with the Motorcraft plug wires. I used black zip ties to secure each of them... I put a zip tie around each one, making sure the two clip hooks were holding on to the coil pack. I lasted for 50,000 miles without fail.

A mechanic friend of mine at Ford laughed when he saw it ... but now does the same. He said its a common issue.

I thought about that!!!

Now that you say it works I will do it. Thanks!

I would use stainless wire and twist them up really nice

I would use stainless wire and twist them up really nice

You forgot your sarcasm tag right, because I just about spit coffee all over my screen when I read it.

You forgot your sarcasm tag right, because I just about spit coffee all over my screen when I read it.

not really I use my twist pliers for alot of things I even have a large assortment of color wire.... plus you choose how tight the twist is.... i have bad times with zip ties getting warm and cold and warm and getting brittle

As soon as I read it all I could think of is a Faraday cage. I cannot remember how many times a bad plug wire or coil pack connection has tried to knock me on my ass when I was troubleshooting a vehicle while it was running and adding metal to the outsides of those connections is just asking to get shocked.

The idea of zip ties is OK, but they have to be good quality or the could brake.

I don´t like the metal zip ties for several reasons: expensive, a bit harder to take off, could damage the wire´s boot.

I´m also thinking about Magnecor wires. There are 2 types, 8mm and 8.5mm (race wires). Magnecor states that they should be the last wires you buy and outlast the life of the vehicle (if they are fit properly). They do cost about 2.5 times the OEM Motorcraft, I don´t do too many miles so in that aspect they are overkill. But they should fit better than the Motorcraft.

Back