Spark plugs and oil | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark plugs and oil

cskinner89

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT
I just took out my plugs (can't get new ones till tomorrow) and the closest one to the firewall on the drivers side was covered in old.

Not just the inside but the outside too.

My socket was covered too.

There were slight oil deposits on 2-3 of them but not as bad as this one.

Also I did seafoam today and now am getting blue-ish smoke out of the tail pipe (normally means burning oil).

so I'm guessing the seafoam was a little rough on it.

Also the exhaust manifold was smoking under the plug with the oil. so maybe oil dripping on it?

Basically what would be the common cause of burning oil?

The smoke from the tail pipe might go away in a few days, But a lot of time with cars with high mileage sea foam cleans the engine a lil to much b/c the gunk was sealing w/e. Try a can of restore oil treatment worked when i had a slight oil leak.

yeah, mine uses/burns about a quart of oil for every 1000 miles or so like clockwork. i'm not to concerned, it's old, it's gonna happen. as for your case, the spark plug may not have been tightened all the way, and oil could've been getting on the plug and making it's way through the threads?

for an engine as old as yours, i'd just make sure to snug the spark plugs, and keep the oil level up and drive it till the wheels fall off.

Haha amen to that! With 241,000 miles on it you never know. Who cares anyway. It's just a project truck.

Back