• Register Today It's free!

Speaker Dimensions

vannote

Reaction score
City, State
Jamestown, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
This should be an easy answer to get, but I guess not. I am trying to price out replacing the factory speakers in my 98 XLT with something nicer, potentially adding an amp, but cannot find the number of speakers and dimensions anywhere. Does anyone have this information? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

vannote said:
This should be an easy answer to get, but I guess not. I am trying to price out replacing the factory speakers in my 98 XLT with something nicer, potentially adding an amp, but cannot find the number of speakers and dimensions anywhere. Does anyone have this information? Thanks.

The door speakers are 6 x 8.

I am pretty sure they are actually 5 x 7, but I guess I could be wrong.

You are correct about the factory crap speakers being a 5x7. However the aftermarket companies who make replacements for ford and mazda cars usually have a 6x8 with an extra set of tabs to be mounted on 5x7 applications, or vise versa. They are usually listed as 6X8.

Personally I recommend Infinity Kappa. Even better if you go components.
A slightly cheaper good choices would be Pioneer three ways.

Actually ,,,,, the factory speakers are 6 x 8, however, aftermarket 5 x 7 will fit.

aldive said:
Actually ,,,,, the factory speakers are 6 x 8, however, aftermarket 5 x 7 will fit.

Like Al said.

I read somewhere that so-called 6X8 and 5X7 are identical. Some manufacturers just measure them differently, or something like that.

dreamr said:
Personally I recommend Infinity Kappa. Even better if you go components.
A slightly cheaper good choices would be Pioneer three ways.

I just bought 2 sets of Pionner 3 ways, and they sound MUCH better than the factory speakers, with the factory HU pushing them.

They cost be about $180 for the set (2 pair, 1 pair about $60). they were on sale though

JegerXLT99 said:
I just bought 2 sets of Pionner 3 ways, and they sound MUCH better than the factory speakers, with the factory HU pushing them.

They cost be about $180 for the set (2 pair, 1 pair about $60). they were on sale though

So, did you get away with replcaing just the speakers? I am not looking to break windows, just have some quality sound when I do turn the stereo up a bit. I would rather not have to run the power and wiring for an amp if I do not have to.

before i updated my headunit and bypassed the factory external amp (as the factory hu doesnt power anything) i replaced my door speakers with some earthquake focus speakers and they sounded a lot better than the stock ones

Hey guys. I just purchased an '03 on Friday- it has a sub built into the back just next to the 3rd row seats. Does anyone here know for sure if the OEM head unit is any good? I'd like to replace the rear door speakers because they are just awful. The front door speakers (from what I can tell) sound to me to resemble a component speaker or maybe a plate speaker (seperate tweeter from driver). If the head unit is unpowered like someone said earlier, could I just replace the amp with a more powerful one? I've heard horror stories about trying to tap into the stock wiring configuration...

And after all these questions, does anyone really know the wattage of the amp that is powering the sub in the back? I would like just a tad more kick than it offers, but don't want to replace the amp if it's going to be a PITA to run wires, etc. when I could just replace with a better sub.

Thanks in advance for any info you have.

Back