• Register Today It's free!

Speaker selection

Harken

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Okay, here is a question for you veteran audiofiles who apreciate good quality speakers. I just purchased a JL 300/4 amplifier.

Which one of the following would be the best choice for my front doors?

Focal 165KP
Focal 165K2P
Boston Pro Series 6.5
Diamond Audio Hex S600A

Thanks in advance..

Having auditioned every pair in that set of choice i ended up going with the Diamond Audio Hex 600's

I, however, chose the S600s (the silk tweeter). You have to listen to the 600a to fully understand how incredibly bright the Alum tweet on the DA set is. The Alum tweeter is way to harsh (at least for my ears). Even the silk tweeters are quitre bright, so much that i have set the attenuation on the Xover to -2db.

I dont know if u have ever listened to any MB quarts speakers, but they are notorious for bright (often considered harsh) tweets, the Diamonds Alum tweets are brighter than those!.

With that being said, I highly recommend the Hex S600s for their natural and smooth sound and with the silk tweet the highs are smooth and bright with zero harshness. The midbass is also sufficient. If installed in a well damped/sound deadened door or in proper kick panels, they can play down to 65hz with authority. Many people say that these speakers are some of the best for rock music. I listen to all genres and fulfill my needs well. From Rock to Jazz to the heavy midbass in techno, they do a great job.

I wasnt impressed with the Bostons at all, But thats the way it seems with those speakers, people either Love them, or do not like them at all (no real middle ground on those). I liked the focals as well and really enjoyed their sound. In the end i think the Hex's just possessed something more to my liking. Cant describe it tho.
You will need to listen to all of these speakers and make a decision from that, not based on what everybody else tells u, because everbodies ear is different.

Back