• Register Today It's free!

Speakers

LaXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Northern CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '91 XLT
BAck in oct when i had my speakers and HU, and subs installed, i had a very small 200 watt amp. This was way to little power to charge my two 12's, so the place had to hook the amp up through my speakers, or HU, im not exactly sure....I dont know much about audio. But...now that i have a new much more powerful amp, i discovered the hard way (by blowing one of my speakers) that when i turn up the gain on my amp, it also makes the speakers louder. So my question is this...does anyone know what i shold do now to make it so the amp is only powering my subs, and my speakers are powered by eather the HU pr the factory amp that is still in the car.

Thanks for your help

-Vic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does your hu have preamp outputs or sub outs? itf it does use those and youll be fine and be wired correctly

Amp

I have the blaupunkt Honolulu CD50, and it says on the box that it has a 4-channel Preamp-Out, what does that mean, how should I change it so the Hu is only powering the speakers, and my amp for the subs isnt hooked up to the speakers.

i dont understand 4-ch. preout that seems kind of odd. i know mine has full range preouts but i didnt think there were preouts for each ch. except vor a variable output sub ch. that is controlled with a sub fader in my headunit with a built in low frequency filter to just sent the lows??????

It'll be easier if you just do it the ol' fashioned way. Just get behind the head unit (it's really easy) and then do the wires yourself. Do you still have the radio instructs? It will tell you which speakers go where. Just get some speaker wire and rewire the speakers yourself. It's really not that hard.

Then, the preouts on the back are where you'll put the RCA's. You'll just take one pair of RCAs and place them in the rear left and rear right preouts. and then connect them to your amp. You'll have to know if the amp is bridgable to wire the subs in the best way possible., but if you want to be safe, no reason not to just wire one sub to each channel, and leave the other two alone.

Hey Jimabena, I believe, he means 4 RCA outs, each one being full range just like normal.

LaXplorer - when setting your amp properly, you want to turn the gains all the way down first. Then play the system as loud as you can with the head unit till you hear distortion. Then, turn it down a little till no more distortion. Then go to the amp, and turn up the gains till you hear distortion, back it down a little, and that's it.

Take it easy,

Jon

Back