Specializeds 99 Sport 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Specializeds 99 Sport 4x4

Well guys about a year ago i picked up this 99 sport with 150 k on it to replace my 97 limited that i had totaled off.Insurance paid me 5000 for my truck that i paid 2900 for. I paid $5600 canadian for the new sport.
Its been a pretty good truck so far, a week after i bought it, it started leaking coolant really bad, Turns out it was the lower intake gasket got that fixed and it was good.Here it is in the previous owners drive way right before i bought it.
3751d0f_20.jpg

About a month later I picked up a set of 265/75 r16 BFG all terrains got them installed and they rubbed bad!
So i had ordered the Performance accessories body lift and it sat in my room for a week or 2 before i built up the confidence to install it.
After that i wanted more light on the front and i already had a smittybuilt tube bumper from my 97 that i had not installed yet, so i retro fitted that onto my 99 explorer(bumpers are different)
I then found a good deal on a set of bridgestone MT's which i put on(265's)
The truck stayed like this for a few months, it proved its self to me time over time up until the great rainstorm of saskatchewan haha.
Me and a fellow ranger as well as a lifted titan ventured out to the old trails.
i was leading the convoy and sunk the truck right next to a Pond, while it was raining heavily.
The Titan got stuck trying to pull me out and the ranger got stuck trying to get back to town.
We were stranded 3 trucks stuck. So we phone up buddy in his hockeypuck lift gmc 1500(real #####,thinks hes the coolest cat around) and he came and got the ranger and titan out.Couldnt budge the Explorer even with 6 towrops and him on dry ground.
So we decided to leave the truck there, What a mistake.
I went back the next day, the explorer was now part of the pond , rotors were rusting aswell.
My friends dad brought out his dodge cummins on 37's to pull it out, just couldnt get traction. So we got one of them winches that goes in the hitch reciever as well as another truck holding the winching truck and we got it out , slow but steady.
This brings me to why i put this whole story in my registry a guy in a jeep drove up while i was stuck and said "why would someone bring a stock explorer out here".Needless to say i was ready to choke him with a tow strap.

After that whole dilema i decided i needed bigger tires and more lift.
so we fabbed up some custom shackles and i did a torsion twist.
I found a good deal on some 33x12.5's on eagle alloy 15x10 rims.
They stayed on the truck for the whole summer until i realized how bad my alignment was out from the torsion twist. I had to install the camber kit and take it in for an alignment it was all good after that.
I have now bought some brand new Good year dura tracs for her.
DSC02100.jpg

DSC02098.jpg

SNC00002.jpg

DSC02219.jpg

DSC02218.jpg

SNC00010.jpg

SNC00012.jpg

DSC02232.jpg

DSC02231.jpg

I have done a few other things to it that i dont have pictured
-Leather EB seats
-7"JVC screen
-magnum drilled rotors(great for braking in water)
-4 soundstream componant speakers
-1 hertz sub with 1000 watt mtx
-Tail light guards
-Tube style hidden hitch
-Custom light bar on roof
-cold air intake
-flowmaster 40 series
-Raptor 5000k hid
ill update as it goes, i feel something big is coming for this explorer soon weather it be a v8 swap or sas i dont know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a nice looking sport you have there.

Thanks XLT i like your 98!
forgot to add this picture, they put it in Petersens 4 wheel mag
06_oseptember_2010_readers_rides1999_ford_explorer.jpg

I like it man. I see that you had to rip off some of the trim off in the back of the front wheel wells too. Cheers!

Thanks specialized7. I really like how your sport looks with the lift and bigger tires. I am hoping to eventually get some 33s and a bl as well.

this is one sport that i do really like. and the bounce...its lives in :ca:! how do you like your duratracs? i bought a set for my level 2 ranger (33x12.5x15) and just got to test them out this last weekend. was very impressed! also, where did you get your camber kit from?

I love the Duratracs, There awesome in winter.
There really quiet on the highway also!

Well Got a Brand new aluminum roof basket for 60 bux, half price at princess auto!!
also got a full size spare tire , but its a toyo open country mounted them up but had to take my lights off.So im going to buy a 3rd roof rack bar from the wreckers for the lights to go infront of the basket

nope its a smittybuilt, its not really good for anything, my step dad backed into it and it punched a hole in my grill.
im gettin a pre runner bumper built

nice sport

what offset rims do you have on there? i have rims from an '03 explorer that cause my 30x7 tires to rub upper control arm in the front, so i had to put spacers in. there's no way i'd fit 10 wide on it now.

im not sure what the offset is on them, but i do know that its quite a bit.
they are off a jeep!

Hey the offset of your rims is -45 I believe. I love those rims by the way

I saw this truck last week in the metal... it's a beast... it's given me inspiration for my build!!

Si

and where did you find room for subs in that thing? just set up a housing in the bed space?

well subs are in my car now because i have been picking up supplys and hauling my tools around.
But fit a 12" sub back there.

Bought a 2002 Honda civic So i have been driving that.
It s really good on gas! and my first car haha.

As some of you know i had gotten it really stuck and had to get a tractor to pull me out.
6949_10150093813485736_516655735_6489565_2893463_n.jpg

8809_10150093813275736_516655735_6489559_1799885_n.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

Back