• Register Today It's free!

Speed Wobbles

Connyrap

Reaction score
City, State
Murrieta
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
I have been having a very odd issue lately, I have recently noticed that my v8 4WD 2004 Explorer gets very scary speed wobbles.

When I am going 45+ MPH and accelerating for have my foot on the gas pedal, its seems to be perfectly fine, maybe a little bumpy, but not bad at all.
But as soon as I lift my foot off the gas pedal, I lose all control of steering, and the car just wobbles in the lane, I have no control of keeping it straight until I start accelerating again, but its a very, very, odd situation. I have been doing research everything, but have found no one to help me with my problem.. or in my case, I haven't even found anyone with my problem. (THERE IS NO SOUND WHEN IT HAPPENS)

Any and all opinions would be lovely

(suspension if coming up on 5000 miles, and I need to replace my ball joints, the rubber sleeves are open and dirt can get inside.)

The only thing I think it could be is the control arms and upper ball joints, I am gonna replace them to see if it works, but I have my doubts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like it may need done 5000 miles early.

Suspension is coming up on 5000 miles? Not sure what that means.

I had a ball joint come apart on a 1977 Mercury Cougar. The front tire flopped and skidded and slammed freely around under the fender and the car was completely out control. Luckily, it was on a dirt road and only traveling about 30 mph... Whatever you have sounds sort of dangerous.

Be safe and good luck. (My guess, ball joints).

Odd thing is accel/decel should not really affect the front.

What does the wheel feel like when it's doing it?

To be on the safe side I would replace all 4 lower control arms (or just the bushings, whichever is easier/cheaper for your situation).

Suspension is coming up on 5000 miles? Not sure what that means.

I had a ball joint come apart on a 1977 Mercury Cougar. The front tire flopped and skidded and slammed freely around under the fender and the car was completely out control. Luckily, it was on a dirt road and only traveling about 30 mph... Whatever you have sounds sort of dangerous.

Be safe and good luck. (My guess, ball joints).

Odd thing is accel/decel should not really affect the front.

What does the wheel feel like when it's doing it?

To be on the safe side I would replace all 4 lower control arms (or just the bushings, whichever is easier/cheaper for your situation).
I have no control of the wheel when letting go of the gas pedal, the wheel moves with the direction the car is wobbling/swaying to.

The suspension coming up on 5000 miles means i changed the front and back suspension about 5000 miles ago, less than 6 months ago..

I started having this problem like about a month ago. maybe a little over a month

Might check for water in a tire.

Sometimes a slug of water will form in an air system (gas station etc.).
You fill the tire some water gets in, everything is fine until an instability forms a "dam"
and boy does the fun start!

This is almost as much fun as high speed wobble on a bike.

I have no control of the wheel when letting go of the gas pedal, the wheel moves with the direction the car is wobbling/swaying to.

The suspension coming up on 5000 miles means i changed the front and back suspension about 5000 miles ago, less than 6 months ago..

I started having this problem like about a month ago. maybe a little over a month
Failing wheel bearings, axles, and U joints all can cause a vibration when off the accelerator.
Wheel bearings are easy to check, and the U joint you can check by laying your phone under and recording it going into reverse and drive and checking for play.

Back