Speedometer - ABS - Odometer Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speedometer - ABS - Odometer Problem

dx650sc

Reaction score
City, State
Haverhill, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Help! My speedometer does not function. It will kick on RARELY. Whenever the speedometer is not working, the odometer does not work either. My ABS light comes on frequently, usually right after the ABS kicks in for no reason (making stop time a little longer :().

I have replaced the rear ABS Speed Sensor located in the rear differential. This did not cure the problem as I thought it would. I am very stuck and need my speedometer back.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

13 years and no response? wow if this website was a help I wouldn't have spent the last 2 hours without success looking for a ****ing solution to why my speedo isn't working

13 years and no response? wow if this website was a help I wouldn't have spent the last 2 hours without success looking for a ****ing solution to why my speedo isn't working
Guess it's relevant, if you have the V8 or V6, as to where the Vehicle Speed Sensor is. If it's Sydney, Australia, don't know if your vehicle specs are identical to the USA ones. Looking now, just for the hell of it, no expert here but curious about how Explorers are put together.

If no one who knows the solution to a topic, sees it in the first day or two, newer posts push the older a few pages back in the forum post order, and a lot of people don't look at more than the first page or two in the posts list.

Like many things, to troubleshoot the speedo it helps to understand how it works. There is the rear differential speed sensor (I forget which model years it changed on but I think it's still there for '97 & '98 (?), producing a low voltage AC signal when the wheels turn the axle and differential. You can check this with a multimeter. It uses wire and connectors to go to the ABS module. You can also check those. You could also do it the other way around, as the sensor in the diff is several hundred ohms or more, so you could measure for this resistance at the respective pins on the connector to the ABS module, and again at the sensor. I've posted the pinout for the ABS module connector recently in the forum (in the last several weeks) so a search through my posts should find it.

The ABS module translates this low voltage AC signal from the speed sensor, and produces a signal (on "VSS Out" connector pin) to drive the speedometer, which you can also check, then wires and connectors at speedometer, again can be checked, then whether speedo itself is working with a signal getting to it.

There are wiring diagrams in my sig below, pay attention to two named anti-lock-brakes, and instrument-cluster-instrument-cluster-circuit-1-of-2, in particular.

Don't forget the check the fuses, often it is the first thing to check because it's easier. Sometimes they aren't blown but the contacts have corroded or tarnished after this long and it helps to remove, clean off, and reinsert a few times to clean the socket contacts a bit too... or use a spray on, contact cleaner.

You might also be able to pull up a trouble code with a scan tool, though it has to be capable of Ford specific codes, not just OBD2. You might also be able to use a scan tool that shows real time data and monitor whether the rear speed sensor is providing a signal while driving.

Sorry I was off that day

Need to know what year your truck is and you can also start your own thread

If no one who knows the solution to a topic, sees it in the first day or two, newer posts push the older a few pages back in the forum post order, and a lot of people don't look at more than the first page or two in the posts list.

Like many things, to troubleshoot the speedo it helps to understand how it works. There is the rear differential speed sensor (I forget which model years it changed on but I think it's still there for '97 & '98 (?), producing a low voltage AC signal when the wheels turn the axle and differential. You can check this with a multimeter. It uses wire and connectors to go to the ABS module. You can also check those. You could also do it the other way around, as the sensor in the diff is several hundred ohms or more, so you could measure for this resistance at the respective pins on the connector to the ABS module, and again at the sensor. I've posted the pinout for the ABS module connector recently in the forum (in the last several weeks) so a search through my posts should find it.

The ABS module translates this low voltage AC signal from the speed sensor, and produces a signal (on "VSS Out" connector pin) to drive the speedometer, which you can also check, then wires and connectors at speedometer, again can be checked, then whether speedo itself is working with a signal getting to it.

There are wiring diagrams in my sig below, pay attention to two named anti-lock-brakes, and instrument-cluster-instrument-cluster-circuit-1-of-2, in particular.

Don't forget the check the fuses, often it is the first thing to check because it's easier. Sometimes they aren't blown but the contacts have corroded or tarnished after this long and it helps to remove, clean off, and reinsert a few times to clean the socket contacts a bit too... or use a spray on, contact cleaner.

You might also be able to pull up a trouble code with a scan tool, though it has to be capable of Ford specific codes, not just OBD2. You might also be able to use a scan tool that shows real time data and monitor whether the rear speed sensor is providing a signal while driving.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I replaced the sensor on the differential, replaced the speedo sensor on transfer case and new cluster. Then hooked the speedo to a drill and found out the speedo works so the problem is in the transfer case

The speed sensor is in the trans or transfer case up until 1998 in the Explorers. So that has a driving set of splines on the output shaft of your TC, which spins the speed sensor's gear. In 1998 the rear ABS sensor is used for speed, sending that signal to the ABS module, which then sends it to the speedometer and PCM.

Your transfer case shouldn't be the problem if it's a matching 97 unit, those splines inside don't wear out. If the TC is from a later truck, then it might not have the splines for the speed sensor. But Ford didn't stop making those output shafts immediately, it was several years later for most to no longer have them on the output shaft.

Guess it's relevant, if you have the V8 or V6, as to where the Vehicle Speed Sensor is. If it's Sydney, Australia, don't know if your vehicle specs are identical to the USA ones. Looking now, just for the hell of it, no expert here but curious about how Explorers are put together.
Hi. I have a 97 v6. Found out the speedo works if pulled out and connected to a drill. So it's in transfer case Don't know how to solve that problem right now
The speed sensor is in the trans or transfer case up until 1998 in the Explorers. So that has a driving set of splines on the output shaft of your TC, which spins the speed sensor's gear. In 1998 the rear ABS sensor is used for speed, sending that signal to the ABS module, which then sends it to the speedometer and PCM.

Your transfer case shouldn't be the problem if it's a matching 97 unit, those splines inside don't wear out. If the TC is from a later truck, then it might not have the splines for the speed sensor. But Ford didn't stop making those output shafts immediately, it was several years later for most to no longer have them on the output shaft.
I pulled the drive shaft off and VSS out I can freely turn with my finger the gear that drives the speedo. Is it safe to assume that gear on the shaft needs replacing?

Hi. I have a 97 v6. Found out the speedo works if pulled out and connected to a drill. So it's in transfer case Don't know how to solve that problem right now

I pulled the drive shaft off and VSS out I can freely turn with my finger the gear that drives the speedo. Is it safe to assume that gear on the shaft needs replacing?
I can't get the nylon gear off the spline, how do I get it off? there are no clips and putting a screw driver in the vss hole to pry it off isn't working. Does the whole T case need to come out?

No wonder you have “spaz” in your name. Feel free to take your garbage attitude and never come back.

No wonder you have “spaz” in your name. Feel free to take your garbage attitude and never come back.
Have a ***** about my name, see if I care. not everyone loves these cars as much as you do.. I invite you to maintain neutral calm feelings about this when unsuccessfully for hours trying to get a ****ing plastic gear off a shaft and having to take the whole T case off to get that piece of **** off.

Have a ***** about my name, see if I care. not everyone loves these cars as much as you do.. I invite you to maintain neutral calm feelings about this when unsuccessfully for hours trying to get a ****ing plastic gear off a shaft and having to take the whole T case off to get that piece of **** off.
imoo both of you could calm a bit, 97, you could have come on with a bit less frustration, although i do understand sometimes it is frustrating when things dont work, but may i suggest taking some time before writing a post on here about a 13 year old post that probably hasnt been seen in a while, frustration doesnt help you or the others on the forum, and frustration makes others frustrated as well.. and you get the idea ;) also doesnt do you a favour in getting replies fast... and mike,may i suggest not talking about his forumusername, maybe remind 97 to maintain calm/take some time away from this, and maybe "never" is a rather strong word imo... anyways, thats it from me!:chug:

just remember- frustration and stress does no one good, not you, not anyone around you :) :hammer:

imoo both of you could calm a bit, 97, you could have come on with a bit less frustration, although i do understand sometimes it is frustrating when things dont work, but may i suggest taking some time before writing a post on here about a 13 year old post that probably hasnt been seen in a while, frustration doesnt help you or the others on the forum, and frustration makes others frustrated as well.. and you get the idea ;) also doesnt do you a favour in getting replies fast... and mike,may i suggest not talking about his forumusername, maybe remind 97 to maintain calm/take some time away from this, and maybe "never" is a rather strong word imo... anyways, thats it from me!:chug:

just remember- frustration and stress does no one good, not you, not anyone around you :) :hammer:
Sure, keep calm is good but there's nothing like a good vent! so have you had this problem with your truck?

Sure, keep calm is good but there's nothing like a good vent! so have you had this problem with your truck?
nope, never had that problem... fingers crossed ;) sometimes the speedo/odo doesnt work, but thats a dash issue, a good smack does it and it works for a few more seconds...:( and i agree, soemtimes we need to vent, but dunno if an online forum is the best place to vent... but for each their own!:D

Like I’ve never struggled with something for hours. I didn’t join a forum and cry to anyone that no one had a solution to my problem before. I have no issues with your name it’s your entitled attitude.

How many people have you helped here that you feel you deserve an immediate solution?

... hours trying to get a ****ing plastic gear off a shaft and having to take the whole T case off to get that piece of **** off.

So back on topic, have you solved this? Elsewhere on the internet I found a case where it was a crack in the gauge circuit board:

Like I’ve never struggled with something for hours. I didn’t join a forum and cry to anyone that no one had a solution to my problem before. I have no issues with your name it’s your entitled attitude.

How many people have you helped here that you feel you deserve an immediate solution?

So back on topic, have you solved this? Elsewhere on the internet I found a case where it was a crack in the gauge circuit board:

I haven't solved this, but I tried the speedo on the end of a drill and it works. It's the speedo drive gear, I can feel how it's hollowed out in the middle

In the topic I linked, they mentioned it working with a drill, but they made no mention of a hollow feeling. I'm not suggesting that's it, just that there is a little ambiguity in what I read.

I think his issue is the drive gear in the transfer case is worn, not that he can’t get the plastic gear off of the speedo cable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exactly
The t case back half has to come off to access the drive gear
It’s not that bad of a job if you are used to dropping these cases and splitting them

Back