• Register Today It's free!

speedometer cable problem?

RedneckRambo

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I have a 94 Explorer XLT 5 speed. When im driving in town its fine but when i get out on the highway my speedo needle bounces between 55 and 65. Any suggestions on whats wrong and what i can do to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like your spedo needle is busted. Does it make any sort of whirling/clicking noise?
I had this problem and I just got a new Cluster, solved the problem right up!

Most likely the speedo itself but it could be a bad cable, the speedo on a 1st Gen Explorer is all mechanical.

I had that exact problem with my 94 Ranger. It has the same instrument cluster as my 92 Ex. I think all the 91-94's are the same. Anyway, I tried replacing the gear in the tranny, I greased up the cable real good. Nothing worked. I ended up taking the cluster out, and having it sent to a "speedometer shop" to have the jewelled bearing replaced. The needle rotates around the jewelled bearing. Someone I knew at a dealership sent it in for me, so I don't know where it actually went. You might find a cheaper fix, but just over 100 dollars fixed me right up. Of course, the hard part is getting the cluster out. Doing it this way retains your odometer reading.

Hope this helps.

sounds like your spedo needle is busted. Does it make any sort of whirling/clicking noise?
I had this problem and I just got a new Cluster, solved the problem right up!

no it doesnt really make any noise that i can tell

well i finally figured out how to take the cluster out and in doing so i found out that the cable is fine so i think the problem is in the speedo itself

i had same problem. at highway speeds it wood go nuts. then one day it got stuck at 85. so i just replaced my entire cluster since then it works fine

Back