• Register Today It's free!

speedometer cable question

nashka

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City, Panama
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 eddie bauer
i pulled out the vss on my 93 ford explorer, it was connected to the speedometer cable....the yellow plastic gear at the tip of the vss has damaged gears.... what is the speedometer cable for??? when i search for a replacement vss there doesn;t seem to be any with the yellow gear part at the end of the sensor where it goes into the transfer case? if it is electrically controlled then what is the cable for??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The speedometer cable drives the speedometer in the dash. The electronic part of the VSS sends a signal to the PCM (powertrain control module aka computer) for electronic engine control.

The gear at the end is still available and is pretty common to replace when differential gears are changed.

~Mark

Thanks, makes sense.. so this plastic gear being damaged, would keep the tranny from shifting out of low gear... this is a kool site. great information. thanks guys.

No, the trans is hydralically shifted for 1-2 and 2-3. 3-4 and the torque converter lockup are also hydraulic BUT they are electronically inhibited.

If the trans is not shifting out of 1st gear until its is warm it is probably the governor which you get to via the back of the transmission

If it is always doing it I'd look into the modulator (on the side of the trans). If your really lucky, the vacuum line between the modulator and the engine came off or is broken But many times the modulator is bad and you find trans fluid in the vacuum line.

~Mark

always stuck in first, so i will investigate the modulator... thanks

my stock radio is not working, gonna replace with a new radio cd player.. i was reading somewhere online, maybe here, that the ford amplifier doesn't work with after market radios, and the needs to be a modification to bypass the amplifier... is anyone familiar with this issue?

Amp and New Radio

I did this recently when I replaced the stock cassette/AM/FM stereo in my 92XLT. I'm not sure if all 1st gens had the amp, or just the ones with premium sound. Anyhow, it's easy to bypass. Pop off the rear right interior panel and the amp is mounted to the wall. If I remember correctly it's a flat rectangle. I suppose you could do the bypass wiring yourself, but I got a kit from a local auto stereo place so I just had to unplug the amp and plug in the bypass harness. Crutchfield sells them as well.

My replacement stereo wouldn't work until I did the bypass. Might be another way around it, but I don't know.

do you lose anything, like sound quality or woofer effect when you byhpass the amp? or does the aftermarket radio have the amp?

I don't think I lost any sound quality, in fact it probably improved. The stock amp isn't necessary with today's stereos (most of which have amps I think).

i noticed that the radio was made in mexico when i pulled it... so much for buying americano!!

took transfer case off, govenor is clean and in working order, Modulator is in good shape also.....what next? 2nd Gear Selonoid?? any sugestions...

My cruise control is also disconnected... is there a chance that someone unhooked something like the tv cable or the wiring for the vss??? thus not allowing my tranny to shift up?? help please, ready to pull my hair out trying to find this problem

Back